The Artist

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
Seriously.. 5/10 Oscars? Has anyone seen this movie? Usually come Oscar/Golden Globe time I try to watch all the best picture noms, but this one just looks ridiculous. Anyone care to comment?

Also are we doing a best movie this year?

Nov 7, 2006
it was the 1st silent movie to win since the 1st oscars so it was a no brainer to pick it. now people like you will talk about it and ultimately talk about the oscars making it relevant when people nowadays who care for great movies can give a fuck less about the oscars. when a shitty movie like The Help gets a best movie nod over something like Drive then that's when i instantly stop giving a fuck about the oscars entirely.

Mar 18, 2003
Well it's not like I'm talking about it out at a bar or something. This is a movie/television forum that has been dead as of late IMO. I mean we're all talking shit about it but the bottom line is none of us have even seen it. I'm just looking for some insight. As for The Help - I thought that movie was good. Worthy of an Oscar nod? Sure. Better than Drive? Probably not.

Nov 7, 2006
Well it's not like I'm talking about it out at a bar or something. This is a movie/television forum that has been dead as of late IMO. I mean we're all talking shit about it but the bottom line is none of us have even seen it. I'm just looking for some insight. As for The Help - I thought that movie was good. Worthy of an Oscar nod? Sure. Better than Drive? Probably not.
well that's exactly what they want though. they want it to be talked about on movie forums and the internet and even the news. it makes the oscars more relevant then it actually is. me and you disagree with the help being good but IMO if drive doesnt belong on the list neither does that movie. it;s like they took any movie with balls and sat them on the bench for this years oscars.

Nov 7, 2006
also i'm not hating on the movie at all. i'm sure it's a great movie. but i'm just saying it was a no brainer to make it winner since it will be talked about more then if they had moneyball be winner.

Mar 18, 2003
In all honesty, if it were up to me neither The Help nor Drive would be up for best picture. Thought they were both good but not great.

Mar 18, 2003
Yeah he took an average script and did a fantastic job, making a solid movie movie out of it. I haven't seen any of his other movies but I'm going to keep an eye on his work. I've got Bronson, just haven't found the time to watch it just yet.

Here is a bit of info from his next movie which he writes and directs:

Only God Forgives
A Bangkok police lieutenant and a gangster settle their differences in a Thai-boxing match.

Also starring Ryan Gosling.