Texas woman wins a free funeral at baseball game

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 9, 2006
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604...ree_funeral;_ylt=Arl940nkWPCqOTpNVgceU3HtiBIF

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - Elaine Fulps was unusually happy for a woman who just got her funeral all lined up. Maybe that's because the 60-year-old Arlington woman who just won the funeral in a promotion at a minor league baseball game won't need to cash in her prize any time soon.

"I almost croaked many times," said Fulps, who donned a neck brace and has undergone 20 surgeries for various medical problems. "God still has me around for a reason. To win a funeral."

The $10,000 prize won't expire until after Fulps does, said Ron Alexander, the sales manager at Oak Grove Memorial Gardens.

Oak Grove partnered with the Grand Prairie AirHogs of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball and Irving's Chapel of Roses Funeral Home for the promotion at Tuesday night's game.

Fans in this Dallas suburb were eager to join in the grim fun.

Some finalists for the prize arrived dressed in black or looking like death. Before the game, the finalists participated in a pallbearer's race, a mummy wrap and a eulogy delivery in between innings.

Fulps, randomly chosen as the winner at night's end, said she'll choose a casket and plot as soon as she recovers.

"I'm going to pick a spot under a tree out of the Texas heat," she said in The Dallas Morning News' Wednesday editions. "And let's hope it's a pet-free cemetery. I don't want to get watered on."