Talk Box vs. Auto Tune

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

B.C.

Sicc OG
Mar 12, 2005
I've never used auto tune or the talk box before. But I just wanted to get a few opinions on this. It seems everybody is using the Auto tune since T-Pain made it popular and to me it's getting played out. I personally like the talk box better. That shit takes work. You have to put a tube in your mouth and play the keys while you sing. I just wanted to know what you use.

May 1, 2003
If you serious...talkbox!
if you fuckin around to upload to myspace....auto-tune! Not many people can pull off the talkbox. Auto tune requires no skills at all. If you go the talkbox route, you'll be judged and compared more to talkbox legends. Because they set the bar high for that instrument. Not so with the plug in...because my 11 year old daughter can do that.

Apr 26, 2006
Which vocoder? Only one I can think of that's decent is the plugin called "Orange Vocoder" by Prosoniq.

But anyways, definitely the talkbox because it's a real instrument. Auto-Tune was meant with the purpose of pitch "correction."

May 25, 2005
talkbox shiiiits on autotune...i recently got my shit together and have been practicing my talkbox...i still havent recorded anything with it yet so i dont know how its gonna sound.

Dec 9, 2005
So with the talkbox, is the tune of your voice completely controlled with the keys ? Like, when you sing, are you singing monotone ?

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
You can't really compare the two, Talk Boxing is an art all on it's own, originating as a Guitar effect, Peter Frampton although he didn't originate anything, he made this effect very popular with his live performances. Your probably more familiar with Roger Troutman though, who took this to an entire new level with funk. Depending on what kind of sound you want to achieve, if you want a legitimate "Roger Troutman" style talk box effect, your going to need to get a setup, and practice for several years, or pay someone to do it (Bosko). You can't really mimic that sound with anything else.

Auto-Tune actually uses a phase vocoder to correct pitch. You can use the Antares software, or get the rack mount, or both I suppose. This is nothing like a Talk Box and can't be compared to one, it's used really just to correct pitch, that's all. The T-Pain Auto-Tune effect is just an effect, nothing more. If you want that sound, there are plenty of tutorials on how to use Auto-Tune and achieve it.

A Vocoder just mixes signals, gives a robotic type effect, through a multiband filter, you can input your voice and achieve that, it's rather dull and not very pleasing. It's popular with electronic music and has been since the 1970's but it's origins go back to telecommunications, encryption, and so forth.

With a talk box your actually controlling the output of the musical device (guitar, keyboard) through a tube with your mouth. You control almost every aspect, other than the note your are holding it in, and can basically re-create whatever sound you want with it. It's an art all on it's own and can't really be compared to anything.

So, the question should be, what kind of sound do you want? Simple.

Apr 25, 2002
Btw, you don't sing when using a talkbox, you mouth/whisper the words so they're also different in that way.

There are very very few songs I think using obvious auto-tune sounds good in. Do I think it's over-used? Yes. Played out? Yes. But if there's still money to be made using it, it will still be used.

As a keyboard player, any of us with any self-respect would pick the talkbox any day.

Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
you really cant compare the sound of t-pain & others to somebody like fingazz or bosko..not IMO.. talkbox is the way to go, but its not eazy to use.. if you learn to handle it is defenetly worth the hours you spend..

28g w/o the bag

politically incorrect
Jan 18, 2003
metro's jurisdiction
siccness.net
With a talk box your actually controlling the output of the musical device (guitar, keyboard) through a tube with your mouth. You control almost every aspect, other than the note your are holding it in, and can basically re-create whatever sound you want with it. It's an art all on it's own and can't really be compared to anything.
but no actual sounds come out of your voice box, right?

::

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
but no actual sounds come out of your voice box, right?

::
Right, your just moving your mouth, phrasing words and sounding words, but not actually using your voice, your really just shaping the sound wave that is coming from the amp through the tube. Basically, the sound (air) that is being pumped by the amp and through the tube, into the back of your mouth, replaces your actual voice. The best way to start is to start with vowels, form funky sounds with them, get comfortable, and then move to mouthing words or sounding words.