Tales from the Darkside, Twilight Zone etc

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 19, 2004
Anyone remember those old horror anthology shows on TV in the 80s?

There was Freddy's Nightmares, Tales from the Darkside, The New Twilight Zone, Friday the 13th, and The Hitchiker.

I would list Tales from the Crypt but everyone knows about that one.

I think Darkside was the best. Good intro and had a variety of excellent episodes.

The Hitchiker was pretty tame compared to the others but one episode that stuck out was the bag of cocaine that got passed through all the handlers to the mob bosses, and at the end the bag of cocaine somehow chose to kill them all. Some weird shit.

I miss these shows. Now it's all reality tv about people trying to lose weight, dance or get married. I hear the Chill channel is pretty good but I don't have money to spring for that package.

May 15, 2009
wow freddy's nightmares that shit brings me back to the olden days hahaha, i remember when friday the 13th first came out, i was like "hell yeah jason gonna have his own show" that shit was a dissapointment lol

Aug 17, 2004
If you have the Chiller channel they still play alot of those shows you mentioned. I was watching the Freddy show the other day. They used to play Tales From the Crypt and the Darkside, not sure if they still do though. Its a pretty dope channel if youre a big fan of horror..

May 2, 2002
All good shows never watched the hitcher

Most of the shows play on the Chiller channel now which is pretty dope

Still waiting to add these collections to my dvd collection

Feb 8, 2003
cHILLER FREE HERE IT COMES WITH CABLE. All those shows named except hitchhiker are all re runned on chiller.

imo Tales from the darkside series is weak as fuck looking at it now shit looks too outdated. I still like the intro and music.

You forgot about Friday 13th the series, Monsters, Dark Shadows,

They all on chiller too

May 2, 2002
I have every horror anthology thats available on dvd.

Tales from the darkside is very overrated because of its sick ass intro. The shows were very hit or miss.

Freddys Nightmares was good. Friday the 13 series was good at first but went downhill. Yall remember Monsters? Now THAT was my shit. Loved that show. Its not on DVD yet though. Cant wait till it comes out though.

There was also Perversions of Science which aired on HBO right after Tales from the Crypt ended. That was an awesome show but they only made a handful of episodes.

Best anthology ever is of course the Twilight Zone (50s-60s) with the Outer Limits (90s) coming in a close second.

May 2, 2002
That show had some the best theme music that 1980's drum kick(with delay), and synthesizers and snap bassline was bumpin on the intro music. You wouldve thought you was lsietn to some new edition or el debarge
hell yeah, I loved that music they played in the beginning.. had that little rattlesnake sound. Wasnt really feelin them showin dude walkin down the road in tight ass jeans though.

Aug 19, 2004
The Hitchhiker (music) and Tales from the Darkside did have the best intros.
You're right though, that Darkside being hit or miss. I remember those shows being much better than they actually were. All those cheesy effects looked high budget to my 7 year old self. They re-released that show on DVD just recently but all the music from the series has been redone because they don't want to pay royalties to for the OG stock music. Sucks because the soundtracks was one of the highlights of that show.

The one episode of Monsters I caught was crazy. Some soldiers are in Vietnam and go exploring the underground network tunnels. They get trapped somehow and they see all these dead VC's corpses coming back to life.

I just found out about Perversions of Science. You can catch an episode of it on Youtube. It was alright.

There was also "Amazing Stories," which was produced by Spielberg. Seemed kind of cheesy.

Friday the 13th I saw before the movies so I thought it was cool. I saw some episodes recently and they still hold up pretty well.

@Indrid Cold
Yeah, TZ and the 90s Outer Limits are the best.

Movies, Tales from the Hood was really good.
There's also a couple 70s Crypt movies. Tales from the Crypt, and also The Vault of Horror.

May 2, 2002
^I loved that movie. I didnt like the old people kick the can story though.

Apparently leonardo dicaprio is talking about making another twilight zone movie.