@Sykotic (viking metal)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
Since you seem to be the metal encyclopedia, I figured you'd be the one to ask (anyone's suggestions are welcome though) for some recommendations on some viking metal bands. I decided to pick up Finntroll's Jakten Tid last Tuesday and was really feeling it so later that week I downloaded the rest of their albums. Their music is sheer entertainment..each album is like an adventure.

Anyone who knows of some good bands in this or any closely related genre please post them up. Thanks!

Mar 9, 2003
If you like Finntroll you'll probably enjoy Ensiferum, they also mix folk in their music. Get their s/t and Iron. Turisas is good also they have an interesting cd called Battle Metal. Try to get anything you can by Einherjer, In Battle, Helheim, Moonsorrow, Ásmegin, and Thyrfing.

May 15, 2002
Thanks. I checked out Ensiferum last week (couldn't find anything from those other bands). They were good, but not quite what I was looking for. Maybe I'm looking for something a little more folky. Do you know anything like Korpiklaani? Preferably with minimal keyboarding..

Mar 9, 2003
You could try Hittavainen's other projects like The Mist and the Morning Dew, and Poropetra. Also try to find the album Idja by Shaman. Glittertind is pretty good people call them Viking Oi! or Folk Street Punk. You can find all of these on Slsk pretty easily.

May 15, 2002
I finally found some Moonsorrow and they're amazing. The first thing I heard was Verisakeet, which has a real raw sound that I like. I was bumping that album nonstop for days. I just got the rest of their albums last night..I haven't really had time to listen to them, but going through the songs quickly I liked what I heard..the vocalist's battle cries are dope.

I also found some Einherjer. I liked them at first, but their music didn't have much lasting value for me. It does well to satisfy the viking urge though.

Thanks again and I'm still on the lookout for those other bands.

May 15, 2002
Yeah, those albums are viking metal. I've heard only one album from Enslaved and didn't like it much ("Rune" or "Ruun" or something like that). Try some Moonsorrow.."Verisakeet" reminds me a little of the Bathory stuff you were talking about.

Jun 17, 2005
Good looking out for the info, I'll definitely have to check them out. The only Enslaved I copped was the split w/ Emperor . . . I was feeling the Emperor side a bit more . . .