Sweet chocolate Jesus

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 22, 2006

Catholic fury at chocolate Jesus

Staff and agencies
Friday March 30, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

My Sweet Lord, the chocolate Jesus by Cosimo Cavallaro

The unveiling of an anatomically detailed sculpture of Christ made entirely out of milk chocolate has infuriated Catholic groups in New York.
"This is one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever," said Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League. "It's not just the ugliness of the portrayal, but the timing - to choose Holy Week is astounding."

The 1.8-metre-high sculpture, which depicts Jesus suspended as if from the cross, has been dubbed "My Sweet Lord" by its creator, Cosimo Cavallaro.

It is scheduled to open at the midtown Manhattan Lab gallery on Monday evening, the day after Palm Sunday and just four days before Good Friday, with closing planned for Easter Sunday.
"The fact that they chose Holy Week shows this is calculated, and the timing is deliberate," said Donohue, whose group represents 350,000 Catholics countrywide.

He called for an economic boycott of the hotel, which he described as "already morally bankrupt".

The gallery's creative director, Matt Semler, said the Lab had been overrun with angry telephone calls and emails about the exhibit.

Although he described Donohue's response as "a Catholic fatwa", Semler said the gallery was considering its options.

"We're obviously surprised by the overwhelming response and offence people have taken," said Semler, adding that the Holy Week timing was an unfortunate coincidence.

"We are certainly in the process of trying to figure out what we're going to do next."

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
HERESY said:
If that were a chocolate Mohammad that whole place would have been bombed. They need to thank God they weren't killed.

EDIT: And stop making dumb shit. What the fuck do we need a chocolate jesus for?
Maybe they can eat a chocolate Jesus dick instead of bread now :)

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Do you think they did it just to piss people off? It doesn't sound like that to me, but they could just be trying to save face.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
HERESY said:
I don't know what the motives were, but if they were true followers of Jesus they wouldn't even get upset at something like this.
Well obviously people claim they are a lot of things that aren't true. That's why I refrain from labeling myself as much as possible. I don't need idiots stereotyping what they think I should be like, cause I dont' give a shit what they think--which is what these people needed to do...not give a shit and keep it movin.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
this is classic. they need to blame god for putting their lives in jeopardy over a fucking piece of chocolate.
Unless God specifically said, "Behold, go forth, stretch forth thy hand to create the chocolate Jesus" God isn't to blame. And they did get off easy. If this had been a chocolate mohammad a lot of muslims would have protested and started riots.

Dec 8, 2005
HERESY said:
Unless God specifically said, "Behold, go forth, stretch forth thy hand to create the chocolate Jesus" God isn't to blame. And they did get off easy. If this had been a chocolate mohammad a lot of muslims would have protested and started riots.
i agree on the moham notion, we cant even make cartoons of that prophet.

what i meant to say since i guess it needs more clarity is...the fact that peoples lives would even be in jeopardy because they somehow defaced something that some people liken to "god" is only the result of their belief in god in the first place. therefore, it is their belief in god, god if you will, that is responsible for anyones lives being in jeopardy in the first place.

and from my perspective this isnt art, this is meant to instigate and create a reaction, just like the "art" of putting the american flag in the toilette. these people ARE lucky nothing happened to them, but they need to thank god? and if they dont beleive in a god who needs to be thanked?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
and if they dont beleive in a god who needs to be thanked?
Richard Dawkins, mcleanhatch, the host of the twilight zone? I have no idea, but when I was saying to thank god that was actually a figure of speech, sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

BTW, I would say that when beliefs become extreme (fanaticism/zealotry) is when problems come into play.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
HERESY said:
If that were a chocolate Mohammad that whole place would have been bombed. They need to thank God they weren't killed.

EDIT: And stop making dumb shit. What the fuck do we need a chocolate jesus for?
youre right, and matter of fact, what the fuck do we even need a jesus for?