Study: Marijuana Smoke Doesn't Increase Cancer Risk

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 24, 2006
Even individuals who've smoked 22,000 joints in their lifetime showed no escalated risks, UCLA researchers say.

A study released this week suggests that frequent smokers of marijuana do not have an increased risk for the development of lung cancer or other forms of cancer often associated with cigarette smoking. Even subjects in the UCLA study who'd smoked more than 22,000 joints in their lifetime had no increased risk when compared to casual users or those who'd abstained from the drug altogether. Researchers also theorized that THC, a chemical found in marijuana smoke, might have antitumor capabilities. The report was presented at this week's conference of the American Thoracic Society.

Here's what the online community is saying about the matter:

"Whew! I can breathe easier!" -- Everything Is Wrong

"I'm surprised this study was funded at all. GLAD, very GLAD, but surprised as well. Of course, the fed. gov. will keep on its hypocricy by continuing the feeble and totally political war on drugs." -- locke, truthdig.com

"I've found that the mind-altering properties of this wonderful plant tend to make one think outside the box. That's the last thing 'the man' wants." -- Eric in Ottawa, thoughtmechanics.com

"What if you use Post-It notes when you run out of rolling paper?" -- The Card Cheat, Metafilter

Dec 25, 2003
5ive1en said:
Does weed do any harm at all??
Kills your life motivation. (amotivational syndrome)
Kills your short term/long term memory.
Can possibly trigger paranoid or psychopathic disorders.

Has the very unfortunate side effect of making you think anything you say is the most unique, intelligent thing that has ever been said in the history of human dialogue.

Jun 2, 2002
real talk...i been blowin a few blunts a day, everyday, for about 5 years now at least. i'm sure my lungs aren't as healthy as they should be...

that is encouraging news though.

Apr 4, 2005
WHITE DEVIL said:
Kills your life motivation. (amotivational syndrome)
Kills your short term/long term memory.
Can possibly trigger paranoid or psychopathic disorders.

Has the very unfortunate side effect of making you think anything you say is the most unique, intelligent thing that has ever been said in the history of human dialogue.

i dont kno wat weed smokers u talk to, but weed motivates my life
i alwas had bad memory
being paranoid is a good thing, it raises ur defences....so u wont get caught slippin....

Dec 2, 2005
i laugh when people say it's coo to smoke it cause it's natural. hahahah i found this other type of plant in my backyard and i guess it's coo to smoke it because it's natural right???

LA-Z

Sicc OG
Feb 11, 2006
WHITE DEVIL said:

thats funny i felt like that b4

May 10, 2002
i count all the joints i smoke i keep logs in my personal notebook....

seriously who counts how many joints they smoke, and just throwing a number out there discredits any info in that shit..cuz unless ur vaping then the shits gunna cause cancer...its smoke in your lungs, and if its a joint ur burnin paper in there too a blunt is about 10 times worse.

but fuck it im high.