STUDIO EQUIPMENT

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 3, 2006
TO ANYONE WHO BE MAKIN MUSIC, WHAT KIND OF EQUIPMENT YALL HAVE IN YA STUDIO? AND WHAT KIND OF MICS, SOFTWARE, ETC. DO YOU RECCOMEND? IM LOOKIN TO UPGRADE N LOOKIN FOR FEEDBACK ON EQUIPMENT BEFORE I START SPENDIN BREAD

Mar 21, 2007
www.com
in my home studio,

reason 4.0

12 dollar mic, 60 dollar amp

$100, maudio speakers,

$30 dollar stolen subwoofer

and my keyboard, it cost me like $120

but i wish had gotten one with 3 octaves instead of two

oh wait, and that equalizer i got at that LA swapmeet for hella cheap lol

i would advise to invest in a good computer,

and just learn how the stuff works,

a lot of this studio shit is overkill cause people cant even tell the difference

some people say that it aint good to record your own shit, but if you know how to work your majic, shit will sound good

people really cant tell the difference, just learn about mixing, compression, make sure your levels arent too loud, a nice -2 or -3,

get a coat hanger, twist it, put a sock on it, or a panty hose (to take away some of those SSSSSSSSSS sound)

spit hot shit,

Jr Writer started making music from a bathroom studio

a lot of the equipment talk is bullshit imo(unless you are recording fwith a professional for a rihanna Jay z remix or someshit like that, other than that, the streets dont mind)

there was this dude i knew who had 15,000 thousand dollar mic's laying around his house,

then all of a sudden would pull out a cheapass mic and record in the bathroom cause he believed that would be the best way to capture the type of sound he wanted

so its all tricks, learn them

Mar 21, 2007
www.com
yeah, kinda like that,

but thats ol regular stuff,

i support norte rap equally to the way i support sur rap

so if anybody from this forum wants to learn more about this shit, hit me up with a pm ill share some of the stuff that was recommended to me by my more professional mentors

Feb 3, 2006
in my home studio,

reason 4.0

12 dollar mic, 60 dollar amp

$100, maudio speakers,

$30 dollar stolen subwoofer

and my keyboard, it cost me like $120

but i wish had gotten one with 3 octaves instead of two

oh wait, and that equalizer i got at that LA swapmeet for hella cheap lol

i would advise to invest in a good computer,

and just learn how the stuff works,

a lot of this studio shit is overkill cause people cant even tell the difference

some people say that it aint good to record your own shit, but if you know how to work your majic, shit will sound good

people really cant tell the difference, just learn about mixing, compression, make sure your levels arent too loud, a nice -2 or -3,

get a coat hanger, twist it, put a sock on it, or a panty hose (to take away some of those SSSSSSSSSS sound)

spit hot shit,

Jr Writer started making music from a bathroom studio

a lot of the equipment talk is bullshit imo(unless you are recording fwith a professional for a rihanna Jay z remix or someshit like that, other than that, the streets dont mind)

there was this dude i knew who had 15,000 thousand dollar mic's laying around his house,

then all of a sudden would pull out a cheapass mic and record in the bathroom cause he believed that would be the best way to capture the type of sound he wanted

so its all tricks, learn them
THATS WHATS UP, THATS WHAT IM KINDA DOIN RITE NOW I GOTTA $60 MIC, A $40 PRE AMP, A $20 MIC STAND, $15 POP FILTER, AND A FREE DOWNLOADED RECORDING PROGRAM (AUDACITY) HAHA..BUT IM JUST LOOKIN FOR A WAY BETTER SOUND WIT MORE QUALITY

May 24, 2006
THATS WHATS UP, THATS WHAT IM KINDA DOIN RITE NOW I GOTTA $60 MIC, A $40 PRE AMP, A $20 MIC STAND, $15 POP FILTER, AND A FREE DOWNLOADED RECORDING PROGRAM (AUDACITY) HAHA..BUT IM JUST LOOKIN FOR A WAY BETTER SOUND WIT MORE QUALITY
its the program u use, plus mic, you should add a lil reverb to it and stuff you should try pro tools

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Pro-Tools-Mbox-Mini-Package?sku=702525 it come wit a mic and pro tools and other stuff

that wut i plan on buying when i get money

Jul 2, 2008
myspace.com
get you a condenser mic though the cheapest ones is around 100 and will make a great difference from using a dynamic mic....

you can get an m audio interface with m powered pro tools for around 300 but you can find an m audio interface by itself for around 100 and find the m powered pro tools online for free if you know what you doing....

but theres other programs like Samplitude which i been using the most lately or Cubase and Sonar.....

the most important part will be the mic and soundcard (or interface) once you get these youll notice 100% improvement in your traccs sound quality.....just make sure you get an interface with phantom power for your condenser mic....

i dunno if you make beats too but theres lots of programs and dozens of very good high quality vst's that give you just as good sound as any keyboard/workstation for a lot cheaper and even free if you know what you doing.....

in the end though its all in your own talent and ears....some people have thousands of dollars worth of equipment and dont know how to work it for shit.....

i say learn 1st without spending too much money cuz you might waste.... but a mic and interface are a good investment to start with if you serious about rapping.....

Oct 26, 2007
www.myspace.com
When I first started rappin i recorded on cool edit pro software and used a 50 dollar mic in a somewhat soundproof booth. I found out right away that it was no where near good enough quality for retail but it did help me learn the basics of recording. Through out the years I kept steppin it up and buying better mics and pre amps and then eventually finding out that no software out there is better than pro tools however u gotta know what you're doing when u use pro tools or u still won't get good enough sound. It's all about mixing which you can do with any computer based recording software but no other software compares to pro tools. Pro tools has so many different plug ins and effects that are way more professional sounding than any other softwares effects plus the mbox interface that it comes with is a class A pre amp with a clean crispy digital sound. Take it from someone who has tried many different recording programs, mics and pre amps, pro tools is the way to go. I've been using pro tools 7.1 with a soundproof booth and an $800 class A dragonfly mic for 2 years and I get sound just like professionals on the radio. My advice is if you're serious about the music industry then u must go pro tools eventually and have a mic at least over $500. Even if you've never used pro tools before you can learn it if you take your time with it and read the manuals and watch videos on how to mix with it. If you're not ready to put up the money or take the time to learn it that then you're probably not too serious about making music.

Nov 20, 2007
^^^really? acid pro?

what kind of sound card you recommend flame?

i've heard m-audio revolution was a real good one. what's your thought on that?