Strikeforce Josh Thompson vs Gilbert Melendez 2

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

El Nino vs The Punk?

• Gilbert Melendez via KO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gilbert Melendez via TKO

• Gilbert Melendez via Submission

• Josh Thomson vis Submission

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 7, 2006
Lightweight Title Rematch 5 rounds

Josh Thompson vs Gilbert Melendez

Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez
5'9"
155lbs
15-2-0
Fairtex Gym
Strengths: Wrestling, Boxing, Very Well Rounded
Last 3 Wins: Rodrigo Damm, Gabe Lemley, Tetsuji Kato
Only 2 Losses: Josh Thompson, Mitsuhiro Ishida

Josh "The Punk" Thomson
5'10"
155lbs
16-2-0
American Kickboxing Academy
Strengths: Wrestling, Striking, Very Well Rounded
Last 3 Wins: Ashe Bowman, Gilbert Melendez, Adam Lynn
Only Losses: Clay Guida , Yves Edwards,

So Who you Guys have?

Feb 7, 2006
Josh Thomson's injury not fully healed, bout with Gilbert Melendez may be in jeopardy

Strikeforce lightweight Josh Thomson's (16-2) broken leg has not completely healed, and his Aug. 15 bout in San Jose, Calif., with interim title holder Gilbert Melendez (15-2) may now be in jeopardy.

Thomson today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he wasn't able to fully train for the unification bout, and additional sources close to the contest have indicated the organization is actively seeking a replacement for "The Punk."

Should Thomson be forced from the card, it would be the latest hit to "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg," which has already seen the loss of Joe Riggs and Alistair Overeem due to various ailments (but did receive a nice injection of talent with the addition of "Babalu" Sobral vs. Gegard Mousasi).

Thomson broke his leg during a training session in April, delaying his rematch with Melendez until August.

"I broke it right at the ankle, so I had to have some plates put in with some screws," Thomson said. "It was a double break in the fibia. I had a break in the lower part of the bone and a break in the upper part of the bone. I got eight screws and a plate put in.

"It was kind of a nasty break. The good thing is it wasn't a jagged break. There was no compound fracture."

Now nearly four months later, Thomson admitted he's not yet 100 percent.

"I guess you could say that two weeks ago I was on crutches," Thomson said.

Thomson admitted he was considering his options, one of which included withdrawing from the contest.

"I'm still talking right now with my cornermen and my management about moving the fight back to October or me just not fighting [Melendez]," Thomson said. "But that doesn't mean I'm not taking this fight serious. I'm doing what I can to win this fight. That's the bottom line."

Thomson also admitted he hasn't been able to follow his usual training routine while his leg continues to heal.

"It's moving right along, I guess you could say," Thomson said. "I've decided to go with the non-training method for this fight – kind of play it by ear and see what happens. There's a lot of things I couldn't do. I'm not training like I was able to for the first fight, and we're going to see what happens."

MMAjunkie.com was unable to reach Strikeforce officials for comment, but Thomson said if he's in the cage on Aug. 15, he'll be ready to put on a show.

"That doesn't mean I'm not taking this fight serious," Thomson said. "It doesn't mean that I'm not going to show up and fight my ass off. Have I ever not showed up and fought my [expletive] ass off?

"Whether that means not training at all and going out there and winging it 110 percent in the first round, I'm going to go out there and fight my ass off."

And if things don't work out, Thomson won't attempt to offer any excuses. However, he will have a backup plan.

"Trilogies are meant to happen," Thomson said. "This is a fight that was meant to happen. I believe I can beat him and I have all the tool to beat him. I think I showed it in the first fight.

"If things don't go my way, then hey, at least I know I'll get a third one."

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce claims Josh Thomson vs. Gilbert Melendez bout is not in jeopardy

After a weeks worth of cancellations and let-downs, it appears as though there is one anticipated match-up in August that the MMA community can breathe a collective sigh of relief about.

Earlier reports had surfaced that the Strikeforce lightweight championship bout between Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez was in danger of being scrapped due to Thomson’s inability to fully recover from a recently broken leg.

Strikeforce’s Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz has recently squashed those reports in a recent conversation with The Fight Network, stating, “Those reports were not true”.

The lightweight championship is expected to take place as planned on August 15 from San Jose, California. The card will feature a main event between Gina Carano and Cris “Cyborg” Santos and will air live on Showtime.

Apr 25, 2002
I learned a nice bjj move from guard last weekend Im hoping Gilbert could pull off from a takedown. I see this going the distance if Gilbert cant capitalize on that healing ankle. Id like Gilbert to win and set up a 3rd fight. These are wars that make me a proud MMa fan....

Feb 7, 2006
Gilbert Melendez Responds To Reports That Thompson May Not Fight

"First of all, like you guys, I am one of the last ones to hear about this possible pull out. I also believe that it is unprofessional for a fighter to tell me that he is maybe going to fight me. If B.J. Penn announced he was MAYBE gonna fight Kenny Florian, I believe the UFC would find a replacement, immediately. All I am saying is agree to fight me injured or not; or pull out and let me focus on someone else. But I believe Josh Thompson is going to fight me. [Expletive] he beat me with a broken arm last time, so why not with a broken leg. I am ready for war. I will see someone in the cage Aug. 15th."

Feb 7, 2006
Mitsuhiro Ishida replaces Josh Thomson, meets Gilbert Melendez, at Aug. 15 Strikeforce event

Earlier this week MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) conducted an interview with Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson in which we learned the fighter's lingering leg injury could cost him an Aug. 15 fight interim champ Gilbert Melendez.

Despite subsequent reports stating that Thomson (16-2) wouldn't be pulled from the card, a source close to the negotiations today told MMAjunkie.com he hasn't been medically cleared for the fight, and Melendez (15-2) will instead meet Mitsuhiro Ishida (18-5-1).

Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz has since confirmed the bout will remain a five-round title fight with Melendez's interim belt up for grabs.

"Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg," headlined by Gina Carano vs. Cris "Cyborg" Santos (for Strikeforce's first-ever 145-pound women's title), takes place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., and airs on Showtime.

Thomson, who defeated Melendez for the title in mid-2008, initially was slated to rematch his former training partner earlier this year. However, Thomson broke his leg during a training session in April, which forced the cancellation of the bout and prompted a new booking of Melendez vs. Rodrigo Damm for the interim belt. Melendez won the April fight via second-round knockout.

"I broke it right at the ankle, so I had to have some plates put in with some screws," Thomson told MMAjunkie.com Radio earlier this week. "It was a double break in the fibia. I had a break in the lower part of the bone and a break in the upper part of the bone. I got eight screws and a plate put in.

"It was kind of a nasty break. The good thing is it wasn't a jagged break. There was no compound fracture."

Thomson said the leg wasn't 100 percent, but he felt he could still continue. However, he was supposed to meet with a doctor this week to get final approval for the Aug. 15 bout. It appears it didn't come through.

Taking his place is Ishida, a former PRIDE fighter who signed a non-exclusive deal with Strikeforce in 2008. Ishida's lone Strikeforce appearance came in September 2008 at "Strikeforce at the Mansion II," where he defeated rising prospect Justin Wilcox via quick first-round submission. However, after putting together four wins in five fights, Ishida recently suffered a TKO loss to Mizuto Hirota at a May Shooto event.

The Ishida vs. Melendez bout is actually a rematch from their first meeting in December 2007. Melendez, undefeated at the time, suffered his first career loss when Ishida scored a controversial unanimous-decision win at the Yarennoka! New Year's Eve 2007 event in Japan.