Street Fighter IV mega thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2008
EVO 2010 Results For SSF4 Finals

Super Street Fighter IV — Top 8
1. Daigo Umehara (Ryu)
2. EG.Ricky Ortiz (Rufus, Chun-Li)MY COUSIN!!
3. Infiltration (Akuma)
4. Mike Ross (E. Honda)
5. Bruce “GamerBee” Hsiang (Adon)
5. Vance “Vangief” Wu (Zangief)
7. Henry Cen (E. Honda, Dhalsim)
7. Shizza (Chun-Li)

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Been having fun with SSF4 and fighting people online. PS3 community has a lot of good people, I can't speak on 360 because I'm not on there but the PS3has been cool. I suffered severe lag on like 3 matches out of my 50+ so that's a good thing. Also, not one person has quit a match on me, this is also a good thing.

But I have a question for you fighting game pros here and needed some info.

What's a good stick?

I'm playing with the PS3 pad, and while I can do all the moves of my mains, I want to speed things up a bit to compensate for the small lag that happens when playing online. I can definately feel a difference between playing online and offline, and feel a stick will make things a bit more precise. I have no problem with a japanese/american layout like the Tournament Edition FightStick but I'm not really feeling the layout of the Pro. EX. I want 8 buttons so forget suggesting 6 button models.

I grew up playing the arcade versions of SF, and although I haven't played an arcade game in years, I can make the transition back to a stick. I'm not trying to mod, but if an 8 way gate is what I need to make things a bit more precise to compensate for the lag it's good.

BTW, I hit shoryuken and they have an 880+ page thread devoted to the topic. While that is a goldmine for info, I have shit to do and can't sift through 800+ pages. So if you guys can help me I'd appreciate it.

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Get a TE (as suggested above) I prefer Semetsui stick over the Sanwa joystick, but Sanwa is still quality.

However, If you think a stick will balance out the lag, I assure you it won't.

BTW if people in here have XBL, I'm always playing. hit me up, APPLE 01 DOJ

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Get a TE (as suggested above) I prefer Semetsui stick over the Sanwa joystick, but Sanwa is still quality.

However, If you think a stick will balance out the lag, I assure you it won't.

BTW if people in here have XBL, I'm always playing. hit me up, APPLE 01 DOJ
I talked to some people and they said the stick allowed them to compensate for the lag as they were able to do the inputs quicker and things were more fluid. They probably didn't know wtf they were talking about. I'm compensating by zoning and staying out the way unless I really have to get in and mix things up. The lag isn't something that makes it unbearable, but like I said, I can tell a difference between an online and offline fight.

And my modem is connected firectly to my ps3 and I have a good comcast connection so I've done everything on my end.It's nothing to do with my tv either cause when I'm online I'm not playing on an LCD. But I want a stick anyway so I can have 8 buttons in front of me, so if it wont allow me to compensate for some of the lag due to response time being different, at least it will make it easier to map and group buttons and have evrything right there.

Can the height of the stick be adjusted? When I played in the arcades I always had an underhand grip so I'd need things to be a tad more higher than the pic. if not, I can swap that out like the gate right?

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
I talked to some people and they said the stick allowed them to compensate for the lag as they were able to do the inputs quicker and things were more fluid. They probably didn't know wtf they were talking about. I'm compensating by zoning and staying out the way unless I really have to get in and mix things up. The lag isn't something that makes it unbearable, but like I said, I can tell a difference between an online and offline fight.

And my modem is connected firectly to my ps3 and I have a good comcast connection so I've done everything on my end.It's nothing to do with my tv either cause when I'm online I'm not playing on an LCD. But I want a stick anyway so I can have 8 buttons in front of me, so if it wont allow me to compensate for some of the lag due to response time being different, at least it will make it easier to map and group buttons and have evrything right there.

Can the height of the stick be adjusted? When I played in the arcades I always had an underhand grip so I'd need things to be a tad more higher than the pic. if not, I can swap that out like the gate right?
The joystick is higher than it appears. You can't adjust it, but it is swappable.

Stick is totally preferred over pad.

I have really good execution and 9 out of 10 times when I miss something it's because of a hick up in lag. I play Chun Li and only use Ultra 1. I'm guessing the people that said it compensates, probably were making 236236 motions. Those don't have to be exact as (4)646.

What do you mean by an underhand grip? Like a wine glass? I use a titty cup kind of grip.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
The joystick is higher than it appears. You can't adjust it, but it is swappable.

Stick is totally preferred over pad.

I have really good execution and 9 out of 10 times when I miss something it's because of a hick up in lag. I play Chun Li and only use Ultra 1. I'm guessing the people that said it compensates, probably were making 236236 motions. Those don't have to be exact as (4)646.

What do you mean by an underhand grip? Like a wine glass? I use a titty cup kind of grip.
About how high would you say the stick is? Aside from artwork, is there a difference between that one and the SSF4 version?

About the info I received, some of the people playing were Claw players and a few were shoto. They were really good too.

And for the grip that would be correct. I didn't know people called it wine glass, but that is how you hold a wine glass so yeah that is appropriate. Also, the "eagle claw" or "eagle" works for me. The "grip of doom" or "titty grip" is something that would throw my game off.

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA

I prefer the Titty Cup because I'm used to doing constant 360's. You roll your hand and let the free spin of the ball top roll against it to make a smooth motion and fast 360.

I can use a wine glass grip on this with no problem.

There may be some minor internal differences, but no major differences other than cosmetic between the TE's. I believe that the current run doesn't have the sidebars on a the case, making it square and slightly smaller.

I can see how Claw players could have an advantage when there is lag honestly.

Who do you main?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I main with Ryu and my backup is Guile. If that is chapstick/lip balm next to the stick that is low. You're able to use a wine glass grip with no comfort issues?

So what about placement for the stick? Can you play with it on your lap or do I need to place it on a hard surface? The reason I ask is because my net connect is in the lab so I just move my ps3 from my room to the lab and play on a small tv. However, I have a rolling mixer stand that is just sitting in my storage room. I used to keep my mpc 4000 on it, but I moved that to a double keyboard stand and put a board on the top tier so it's real sturdy.

Heres a link to what I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/On-Stage-MIX400-Mixer-Stand/dp/B000RXN6XI

I can adjust the sides to make a stick fit, can raise it up or down, can tilt it forwards or backwards and can adjust it just about anyway I like. With this I can play standing or sitting and the stick wouldn't go anywhere because it would be locked in tight.

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Nivea is the business. Good brand, I recommend them for all your hygiene related needs.

My stick gets warm after long use, but you hardly notice it unless you put your hand at the bottom of it.