Stereo tracks in Pro Tools, what's the best way to convert to mono?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 21, 2006
What's the best way to do this?

Should I just make new mono tracks and drag only one side of the stereo track into em? Or is there a way to kinda combine the tracks into one mono? (i think it's possible in cool edit pro)

I don't wanna do bouncing, cuz I gotta do this a lotta times.

Jun 12, 2007
www.mybeatshop.com
All you do is bounce your selected tracks as mono summed in the exporting option. This combines all the files in your current session to be bounced together as one mono track. But why the fuck you want to do that it's going to sound like shit dawg.

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah you're right that's pretty dumb now that I think about it. But how come I can never pan stereo tracks? Is there an easy way to do it?

(I'm also trying to save space cuz I think I'm gonna get LE)

Feb 2, 2006
if i was you i would combine all your stereo tracks into 1 stereo track which is called doing a "layback" take the outputs of all the tracks you want to combine and make a new stereo audio track and send them into the input that way you get all your audio into 1 nice track you can work with. but dont convert stereo to mono thats retarded. also you can pan stereo tracks there is just two panning levers instead of one you get more control.

Jul 7, 2002
If the track is truly stereo you should not make it mono as you will lose depth.

If the track is actually a mono or near mono sound but a stereo track the easiest thing to do is bring up 2 mono tracks and slide you stereo track down to the 2 mono tracks. Then you just delete the stereo track as well as one mono track and you are left with a single mono track.

I do this all the time with beats tracked out of Reason (since Reason bounces everything as stereo). I'll load everything into PT then mono down all the sounds that are truly mono.

Not sure this is what you were looking for, but there ya go.