Status of Music

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
But on a personal level i don't agree with some of your thoughts on whats ethical, but I'll leave it at that.
There's plenty about how the music business works that I don't agree with but I understand why it is the way it is and why in the end it needs to be that way.

So you have no problem with music today. fair enough. Personally I feel the lack of artist development has had a severe impact on the quality of the music these companies have been putting out. In theory letting them grow on there own and then picking them at their peak sounds good, but the issue is the extra pressure it puts on the artists to conform to make those sales by the first quarter. I hear it all the time when an independent artist signs to a major label release. There major label releases are generally far more inferior.
The artist is always responsibility for their own growth. You can't force someone to be a good or great artist. They either have it or they don't, and it's something they need to discover on their own while their untainted by the music business. You can't be true to yourself if you don't even know who you are musically in the first place.

Again, at the end of the day it's a business. The entire purpose and point is to generate profit by creating products that people will buy. People now have the ability to create and distribute their music with very little expense so if they're that worried about being watered down or losing control of their "creativity" then they shouldn't try to sign a recording contract because that's the moment it becomes business. My advice is still that they make whatever music they want and use any of the numerous tools available to get it out that doesn't involve participating in the music business. That's the only way their music will remain pure.

How many truly great artists do you really think there are? Truth be told most of these cats are disposable and easily replaced.

Elemenno

F.W.A.H.R.L.D.
Feb 28, 2009
There are plenty of truly great artists out there. I've been obsessed with music since I was seven digging through my dads records. Now I work at a record store and make my own music. If there wasn't great artists out there and it was just the disposable crap that I hear coming from these major labels nowadays I wouldn't do any of it.

There hasn't been a great artist on a major label in awhile and I feel its because of there business techniques. In no way am a I defending an artist for flopping on a major because they cracked under the pressure. That's their fault. But none the less thats whats happening. So the only stuff coming out of these major labels are these disposable musicians that they can mold and create themselves. But maybe thats what the major labels want, disposable artists. They're less of a liability. So that might be the major labels intended product. But for me personally I just stay away from it.

Feb 19, 2008
www.soundclick.com
thats great advice you guys my manager is always having a headache because he has to manage these young artist and these young artist wanna act loose lol...and me being a beat producer i'm still learning business wise so i'm taking it one day at a time in order to make even at least $1 dollar.

Apr 25, 2002
thats one thing i hate..ghost riders. it just seems lame to me how r&b singers or artist of all genres can use lyrics written by others.

why is that bad for singers? there whole base of their artform (for the most part) are their pipes, not song writing ability....just like some only write songs and dont sing.......and like Sick Wid It said, its not just country who doesnt write their own, R&B is probably per capita the same more or less........i think its lame for rappers to have ghost writers, but its always happened...........

i think if you are a "singer" and you write also, thats dope.........it doesnt mean your a better singer, it just means your talented in more ways.........

Apr 25, 2002
and one thing i hate with the underground hip hop community is throwing the word "producer" around........most "producers" are just beat makers, which is all good, its noble.........but a real producer is more hands on with the whole outcome of a song, not just producing the music.......they wanna co-sign the finished product.......

Feb 19, 2008
www.soundclick.com
We'll i kinda get your point every beat producer wants to be aligned with a actual producer but me i'm about making music period. I make the beat, i come up with the hook, I mix and master the sound beat wise and studio wise. I don't just make a beat and thats it lol.

That's from years and years of being a fan of music and still am.