Status of Music

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Roz

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2009
www.facebook.com
It's all based on the listeners perception and taste... I'd say older listeners would say popular music has been on steady decline since the early 80's, with big business slowly buying up labels and radio stations, and condensing them into huge corporate entities... Though, on the flip side technology has progressed enough that independent musicians, and song writers can work at home and gain a fan base at a fraction of the price that they would pay in the past... This has flooded the market with both good and bad music for listeners, some I think it's kind of a double-edged sword because a lot of these home artists mimic "big label" acts and steer clear of originality, in fear of not making any money... In the past money wasn't the biggest factor in making art and I think big business has skewed this...

Feb 19, 2008
www.soundclick.com
thats real good knowledge and info for the brain thanx...the way i see it technology has sky rocketed but at what price...the real artist with real skills get no credit with all the new technology but all these fly by night artist are on mtv and bet lol the only guy i seen gettin his respect and well deserved is tech n9ne

Roz

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2009
www.facebook.com
thats real good knowledge and info for the brain thanx...the way i see it technology has sky rocketed but at what price...the real artist with real skills get no credit with all the new technology but all these fly by night artist are on mtv and bet lol the only guy i seen gettin his respect and well deserved is tech n9ne

That's because he stuck to the old way of reaching listeners and selling himself over and that's touring... Combine that with the fact that dude is immensely talented, his constant tour schedule in the past is what gained him so many fans, and his albums sales... Fans are more prone to buy cd's and merchandise at concerts than online, or at store's than in the past... You put you on a great show for them, and really put yourself out there... the people are going to connect with you and I think Tech has taught that lesson to every independent artist out there...

Apr 25, 2002
It's all based on the listeners perception and taste... I'd say older listeners would say popular music has been on steady decline since the early 80's, with big business slowly buying up labels and radio stations, and condensing them into huge corporate entities... Though, on the flip side technology has progressed enough that independent musicians, and song writers can work at home and gain a fan base at a fraction of the price that they would pay in the past... This has flooded the market with both good and bad music for listeners, some I think it's kind of a double-edged sword because a lot of these home artists mimic "big label" acts and steer clear of originality, in fear of not making any money... In the past money wasn't the biggest factor in making art and I think big business has skewed this...
The music business has always been about business. Always.

Feb 19, 2008
www.soundclick.com
i can't no but in a way i can, i also feel bad for alot of good rock talent as we'll that get their spotlight stolen from whackness boy bands that dress like women lol what happen to the grunge lol?

country music is the only thing where new talent gets better. lol

Apr 25, 2002
You can't generalize the entire music industry.
That's like saying you can't generalize the health industry, or oil industry, or clothing industry, or food industry. Sure you can, they're all based on the same basic foundation. They all submit to the premise that you create a product or service which you sell to consumers for profit. One of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking the music business is somehow not a business.

There may be some company somewhere that records artists at no charge and puts out the music free to the public...but 99.9% of the rest of them want to make a buck. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with using music to make money. It needs to be said.

Jun 24, 2006
i can't no but in a way i can, i also feel bad for alot of good rock talent as we'll that get their spotlight stolen from whackness boy bands that dress like women lol what happen to the grunge lol?

country music is the only thing where new talent gets better. lol
and Country music is the only genre where songs written by others is still considered the norm. Music runs in waves and cycles. Its just the way it is. Even jazz does.

May 15, 2002
That's like saying you can't generalize the health industry, or oil industry, or clothing industry, or food industry. Sure you can, they're all based on the same basic foundation. They all submit to the premise that you create a product or service which you sell to consumers for profit. One of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking the music business is somehow not a business.

There may be some company somewhere that records artists at no charge and puts out the music free to the public...but 99.9% of the rest of them want to make a buck. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with using music to make money. It needs to be said.
I wasn't referring to your post. What you said is fairly obvious. I was saying that you have to specify what part of the industry and which music industry you're talking about because it's not all the same. For instance, why is it so hard to get a new rap CD for $10 or $11 when it's fairly easy and common for other types of music (take metal, for instance), and how does this affect sales and thus the "status" in their respective genres/industries?

Roz

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2009
www.facebook.com
as long as the industry doesnt take over period lol....we dont need any more lady gagas or ke$has or young moneys lol

Well we have a case, where there are five major labels running all of what we hear on the radio... because they own the radio... They started buying up radio stations back in the 80's, and it's progressed from there... Then it moved to TV... You might here a independent/underground artist once-in-awhile but, that's late night and most of time the artist has to pay big money to get that spot... I think if artists focus on local sales, shows/merchandise, and in utilizing the internet they'll be able to do just fine...

Apr 25, 2002
and Country music is the only genre where songs written by others is still considered the norm. Music runs in waves and cycles. Its just the way it is. Even jazz does.
I really hope your comment was meant to be sarcastic because if you think most songs are performed by the same people who wrote them, you're in for the shock of your life.

Jun 24, 2006
I really hope your comment was meant to be sarcastic because if you think most songs are performed by the same people who wrote them, you're in for the shock of your life.
No i wasn't being sarcastic. You obviously don't understand what I am saying. I simply stated that Country music is the only genre where using a songwriters is still the norm, I never stated other genres don't use them.

Roz

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2009
www.facebook.com
your right Roz you can be your own star locally if you move the right way and grind

Exactly... and that's all a true artist needs, is to be able to make music that they want to make, and to have an audience... There's nothing wrong with being a local artist at all, as long as you can pay your bills and do what you love, without having to conform to a certain set system... A lot of people have their goals set too high, when they should just be taking baby steps...