speak out

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 1, 2005
Freddy Chavez, nephew of Cesar Chavez, said his uncle would be outraged that the huelga bird has been turned into a gang symbol.

"When I heard there are persons ... criminal elements, gang members ... that are doing anti-social things, preying on our population, on our communities that are using that symbol ... that hurts me deeply," Chavez said.

Jan 10, 2006
its because unfortentaly thats the way things went. they lost there black panther approach of helping the commuinty and went for the buck. And thats maybe the reason they survived and are bigger then ever. Cause i dont see no panthers around today do u?

Jan 10, 2006
ohhh and not to mention that the UFW used to be called in chavez's day National Farm Workers Association. or the NFWA at the same time the NF sprung up in prisons. And they both use the same symbols. Hmmmmmmm coinsidence or what???

Mar 2, 2006
westbayhogg said:
Yeah bitchh!!!! Chavez is from northern cali. Hes a chicano, Hes a norteno. EVen the cops would label him a norteno even if he wasnt. Cause what do they do when you goto jail or prsion. If your latino, your either a Northern Mexican or a southern mexican, regardless of what you got to say about it.
Look at the flag and the colors and hella shit of chavez group UFW. Nortenos gang members are like the hella militant fools ya know. Like the black panthers. while ceaser chavez was like the martin luther king. Same cause diffrent approach. The only reason nortenos are hella fucked up is cause they lost there guidess. The good shit for the cause. Now they are for the buck.
LOL...YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WERE HES FROM, HE'S FROM ARIZONA PENDEJO HIS PART MEXICAN AND PART INDIO! ALL YOU VATOS ARE THE STUPIDEST PEOPLE IN HERE. TALKING TO MUCH I BET YOU THAT YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WERES IS THE UFW MAIN OFFICE IS?

Jan 10, 2006
yeah. but so what if i was born in china, and later moved to the bay. it dont matter where u was born. babys dont remeber shit like that. and as far as anyone is concerned he from cali. what u gonna tell me 2 pac is from new york too?

Jan 10, 2006
SatanaS said:
LOL...YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WERE HES FROM, HE'S FROM ARIZONA PENDEJO HIS PART MEXICAN AND PART INDIO! ALL YOU VATOS ARE THE STUPIDEST PEOPLE IN HERE. TALKING TO MUCH I BET YOU THAT YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WERES IS THE UFW MAIN OFFICE IS?
your the dumbass. Mexicans and indios are the same blood you fucking moron. what did you think they were diffrent or something? u stupid. and i didnt say there the same culture, i said there the same people. blood. ya feel

Mar 12, 2005
HE WAS BORN IN YUMA ARIZONA, THAT'S WHY THERE ARE A COUPLE OF NORTENOS THERE, I AGREE WITH YOU CALLING HIM A NORTENO IN THE SENSE THAT HE LIVED MOST HIS VIDA HERE IN THE NORTE, BUT WHAT HAS A NORTENO OR THE TERM BECOME, A GANG MEMBER THAT HAILS FROM NORTHERN CALI, LET ME ASK YOU ANOTHER QUESTION HOLMES, ASIDE FROM US BEING A PROUD PEOPLE THAT REPRESENT AND ARE PROUD TO BE FROM NORTE CALIFAS, WHAT ARE THE OTHER SIDE OF US, REMEMBER THE COLORS RED, THE BLOOD SHED FOR THE NORTE, WHITE THE PRIDE AND GOODNESS OF BEING A NORTENO, BUT WE TEND TO FORGET THE LAST COLOR BLACK, ALL THE DIRT AND EVIL WE DO WHILE LIVING THIS MORE CRAZY LIFE. AND IF CESAR WAS TO BE ASKED TO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF A NORTENO, IMO HE'D CALMLY SAY NO. BUT I UNDERSTAND YOU'RE GUYS PERSPECTIVE, CAUSE I LOOK AT IT BOTH WAYS, BUT I RATHER GO WITH THE MORE RATIONAL WAY.

Nov 1, 2005
a bit off topic but this is happening in my area...LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A granddaughter of Cesar Chavez said Monday she is running for a seat in the California Assembly, becoming the first member of the late United Farm Workers leader's family to seek public office.

Christine Chavez, who has taken leave from her post as UFW political director, planned to formally announce her 45th District candidacy Tuesday at California State University, Los Angeles.

"I am the first member of the Chavez family to seek elected office," she said. "When I approached the subject I mainly told the matriarch of our family, my grandmother Helen Chavez. She was at first shocked but of course she's very excited. You know we've always been sort of advocates on the other side of the political spectrum."

The 45th District covers an area east, north and northwest of downtown, sprawling from the Eastside community of El Sereno westward to Chinatown and Hollywood.

Six candidates have filed for the 45th District seat in the June 6 election, according to the secretary of state's unofficial list of candidates.

In addition to Chavez, Democrats in the race are Elena Popp, Oscar A. Gutierrez, Kevin De Leon and Gabriel Buelna. One Republican, Samantha E. Allen-Newman, has filed.

Popp, who was born in Mexico, raised in Los Angeles and credits her political awakening to a classroom speech by a UFW organizer, has the support of outgoing incumbent Jackie Goldberg.

The 34-year-old Chavez, who was married last year to Oscar Gonzales, said she has lived in the district eight years and has some college education. She is the daughter of Cesar Chavez's daughter Sylvia Chavez Delgado.

Asked whether Cesar Chavez ever expressed views on family members seeking office, she said he had not but always wanted them to be active in their communities.

Dec 13, 2004
members.sitegadgets.com
I agree with most of the what is being said here and alot of them I don't.Read more of the history of chavez and his movemientos that he stood up for and faught for the rights of our familias who worked hard to support us and to live in Califas.They didn't give chicanos rights back then like them white americans.Iether south or north remember if it wasn't for him the RAZA would be the getting repects they earned in the united states..

Mar 12, 2005
simon holmes, especially showing pride in these farmero lados, Stockton, Lodi especially Tracy where there aint no traces of southern california, manteca, you know the centro valle.