sound module question

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 10, 2004
i have a motif 6 (not an ES) and i'm thinking about purchasing the roland fantom sound module. i've never used MIDI but i know i'm gonna have to for this set-up. i know it's MIDI in (to the module) and MIDI out (to the keyboard).

my question is: how many tracks can use use off the roland sound module? i'm guessing one track since i can only use one sound off the module if i record it onto the keyboard. is there a way i can use different sounds off the module to record it on the motif for multiple tracks, or do i need to purchase something else like a MIDI interface?

thanks for the help.

Dec 8, 2005
Lawrence, Ks
It all depends on what you're sequencing with, and how many tracks your sequencer has. You could use 8 off the fantom and, 8 off the motif, assuming you have 16 tracks on your sequencer. I can help you man, you just gotta tell me what your setup is.

Mar 10, 2004
i only use the motif to record (the motif has 16 tracks). i have the keyboard connected to a small mixer, which is connected to my computer, so i can track it through adobe audition. am i only able to use the sounds off the roland if i track each track off the motif to adobe? my question is how is it possible to play a sound off the roland if i was to record it on track one (onto the motif), and play a different sound off the roland if i was to record it on track two (onto the motif)? wouldn't i have to change the sounds from the module? and if so, the sound i recorded on track one would change the sound i recorded on track two.

i appreciate the help, fellas.

Dec 8, 2005
Lawrence, Ks
basically you have to setup each track on the sequencer. For instance 1-8 will be INTERNAL tracks on the motif. 9-16 will be EXTERNAL midi tracks off the roland. You use "msb" and "lsb" number to select your banks and sounds off of the roland (you should be able to learn more about this in your fantom manual), then you should be able to change your sounds on the roland from the motif (tracks 9-16).