Soulja Slimm Murdered at Magnolia projects in New Orleans

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 9, 2002
i look at brotha lynch hung as a talented artist. his shit depicts a lot of crazy images but i guess that why he is creative. im sure he talks about a lot of that crazy shit because thats how he feels. he feels like sayin the craziest off the wall thing that he can say. no different from a steven king movie hell.....i give lynch props cause its like even tho he on some other shit its not like he trying to really make u think he eats baby's for breakfast or dumps on a granma walkin across the street, he just puts u in the mind of a fucked up lunatic that he feels like inside of himself sometime. but anyway.

carlos whatever a rapper say, sometimes they gotta be ready to back it up. whether they meant it or said it to say it, somebody is gon take em up on what they said.

that shit crazy tho, another good rapper gone.

Apr 25, 2002
Everyone acting like it was sum hating shit. Slim was in the streets went to jail for like 4 yrs, I'm sure he got enemies along the way. That shit wasn't just a random shooting it was an assassination. The dude waited on the side of his house and shot him 3 times in the face and once in the chest.
one

Apr 25, 2002
Some news for yall.

Slain rapper had big future

Soulja Slim's success created jealousy

Friday November 28, 2003

By Michelle Krupa
Staff writer

James Tapp would not ignore the truth, so his lyrics told of the jealousy.

Jealousy had fueled so much rage and spilled so much blood during his childhood in New Orleans' Magnolia public housing complex that Tapp could not set it aside when he stepped on stage at the House of Blues or Tipitina's Uptown or some hole-in-the-wall club jammed with fans.

They called him Soulja Slim, and some believed that at 25, Tapp was poised to capture the rap scene from coast to coast, to finally get a music video on MTV, to make it as big as -- or bigger than -- his childhood friends, Master P and C-Murder.

But Tapp's stepfather said Thursday that it may have been envy of his son's swift rise that cost Tapp his life Wednesday.

"When you're a rapper, you have a few jealousies," said the stepfather, who asked that his name not be used. "He was an open fellow. He would open his house to anyone. If he had any enemies . . . I don't know."

Judging from his wounds -- at least three in his face and one in his chest -- the bullets were undoubtedly meant for Tapp, said Q93 disc jockey Wild Wayne, who first met Tapp a decade ago when he started performing locally, using the name of Magnolia Slim.

"Those kind of shots usually indicate some kind of anger toward a person," the DJ said. "It's not just a random violence kind of thing."

Police said an unknown gunman shot Tapp around 5:45 p.m. on the front lawn of a two-story duplex at 4618 Lafaye St., the Gentilly home Tapp bought for his mother five years ago when his career started picking up.

Witnesses said they saw a man wearing dark clothes running toward the lake on Lafaye Street moments after the shooting, but police had no suspects in custody Thursday night, Sgt. Paul Accardo said.

The crime seemed to eerily echo the violence of Tapp's profanity-laced songs, which tell tales of gangs, drugs and drive-by shootings. The album cover on his first CD, released in 1998, shows Tapp in camouflage surrounded by fiery explosions and a tank.

His stepfather said the themes were not intended to incite violence, only to expose the chaos of "ghetto life" so it might be cured. He said Tapp had broken no laws after he ended a four-year prison stint in 2001 for parole violation.

In 1995, Tapp was sent to jail for a separate armed robbery charge. It was unclear how long he served then.

Master P appeared on several tracks of Tapp's first album, "Give it 2 'Em Raw." Tapp's second, "The Streets Made Me," was released by Master P's No Limit Records. Tapp left No Limit in 2002 and released "Years Later" on the Cut Throat Committy label.

This summer, he joined heavy hitter Koch Records and recorded "Years Later . . . A Few Months After."

The rapper had grown popular as he performed in cities from New York to Detroit to New Orleans. "But he was ready to hit the big time," his stepfather said. "He was on his way."

This month, Tapp recorded a music video in Uptown mansions and at Tipitina's Uptown that Wild Wayne said probably would have landed on MTV and BET.

Tapp was watching the video at the Lafaye Street house when his stepfather and mother left to run errands Wednesday about 4:45 p.m.

His stepfather said Tapp must have left the house in his gray Cadillac Escalade shortly after they departed and returned around 5:45 p.m. Minutes later, when police found Tapp bleeding on the lawn, his SUV's door was open.

Tapp's death likely means an abrupt halt to the careers of some rising rap stars whom Tapp was coaxing into the industry through his label, Cut Throat Committy, Wayne said.

"He was extremely influential. Some people called him the Tupac of the South," the disc jockey said. "I think he was about to shine a new light on New Orleans in terms of his music. It's just a tragic loss."

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Crimestoppers at 822-1111 or toll-free at (877) 903-7867. Callers do not have to give their name or testify and could earn as much as a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest or indictment of a suspect.
one

May 21, 2002
Dam

Thats a sad loss for rap music and human life in general

I just bumped Give it 2 em raw as a tribute, blazed the dank and gave him a smoke filled prayer

Him and Young Bleed were the best rappers ever associated with No Limit

Whats this i keep reading about him being B.G's brother and / or Snoops cousin, is this all bullshit?

Anybody got those years later cds? what they like?

I advize everybody to pick up cds you missing of his and try and turn him platinum in his honour.

Feb 8, 2003
Mak Deniro said:

Whats this i keep reading about him being B.G's brother and / or Snoops cousin, is this all bullshit?

Its all bullshit he is not related to non of those niggas. Him and B.G. are just friends from the same hood That was/have worked on a group album and they used to be on Cash Money together.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Mak Deniro said:
Anybody got those years later cds? what they like?

I got the "Years Later" Cd and its tight as fuck. It's not like most of the booty,wobble wobble, shit coming out the N.O. these days. Its a raw cd- Slim was a good storyteller and had a voice that made him stand out from the rest. I say if you see it ( I had to special order it) pick it up.

As for Years Later....A Few Months After, Im pretty sure its not released yet. But I'll pick it up for sure if/when its released.

Once again R.I.P. Magnolia(Soulja)Slim.

Nuttkace

Feb 8, 2003
Nuttkase said:

As for Years Later....A Few Months After, Im pretty sure its not released yet. But I'll pick it up for sure if/when its released.

They both tight I have both of them. Although they have alot of the same songs on them.It looks like your are really unsure because "Souja Slim :Years Later...A Few Months After" has been out since August 2003.