SORIANO TO SIGN WITH CUBS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 20, 2003
First off i should introduce myself, I go by psycho_tech and i usually (99.9% of the time) post on the strange forum here at siccness, with that being said......................HOLY SHIT.......ok now i've been a faithful watcher of the cubs since 1999 and i've seen alot of shit in that time. I've seen them put together teams that were seemingly unstoppable on paper but as the season or seasons progress they were decimated by injuries. Other times they've just sucked ass. However, one thing has never changed and that being; they always go after the so called #1 free agent and are usually to cheap to reap the reward. I can think of a few recent incidents where they came up short such as Carlos Beltran and the more recent Rafael Furcal fuck up. This offseason though is simply amazing and unbelievable. First they sign Aramis Ramirez and Kerry Wood to lower than market standards. They make a nice signing in Mark Derosa (should have been Ray Durham in my opinion) then a nice trade to bolster the bullpen (Neal Cotts) and lets not forget about bringing back the best backup catcher out there (Henry Blanco)
Now lets look to the present.....I just got done eating thanksgiving dinner at my grandmothers place and i come home and check the cubs news as usual and i come across this bit of news http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/...t_id=1743450&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Now i'm still in shock and hope this isnt gonna turn out to be faulty information. I for one believed the rumors that Soriano wanted to stay on the east coast. But to get a lead off hitter of this caliber, a guy that can and will hit 40 hr's and steal 40 bases and knock in 100 runs. Now add that to a lineup that already includes a Ramirez and a Lee as well as Barrett and Jones. Oh yea and theyre not even done yet, they could still add Pierre or Mathews or Julio Lugo and if Hendry is this worried about losing his job i can only imagine what he's gonna add to the starting rotation and hell i havent even mentioned bringing in Lou Piniella. This offseason is shaping up to be the best one i've ever witnessed and if this can translate into a relatively injury free year then this is gonna be one spectacular cubs season to behold..........sorry if i'm rambling ppl but this is great news for this cubs fan, now all i hope is that Lou can keep his promise and dispel those evil curses..........now i would like to get other ppl's feedback on the current state of the cubs and if you think they are the team to beat in the NL Central.

another article
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...oriano,1,6514808.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

and another
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/142253,111906cubs.article

Oct 20, 2003
ThiZZmAtiC510 said:
they still have no pitching...
no pitching? they have a good start, theres nothing wrong with the bullpen and in the rotation they have Zambrano and Hill to start with, and the targets they are going after are Lilly, Bautista, Igawa as well as Jake Westbrook. Add in a healthy Mark Prior and Wade Miller and if Hendry can sign Soriana then who's to say he cant get Schmidt or Zito................

Jun 15, 2005
Psycho_Tech said:
Now i'm still in shock and hope this isnt gonna turn out to be faulty information.
It's not faulty, ESPN has it down as 8 years for $138 million. LINK

I was hoping my Pads would be aggressive enough to pick him up, but that was hella wishful thinking. Great fucking pick up for your team.

Dec 19, 2005
Psycho_Tech said:
no pitching? they have a good start, theres nothing wrong with the bullpen and in the rotation they have Zambrano and Hill to start with, and the targets they are going after are Lilly, Bautista, Igawa as well as Jake Westbrook. Add in a healthy Mark Prior and Wade Miller and if Hendry can sign Soriana then who's to say he cant get Schmidt or Zito................
aside from zambrano, their rotation is less than intimidating. good luck if you're counting on miller, prior or wood.

Oct 20, 2003
ThiZZmAtiC510 said:
aside from zambrano, their rotation is less than intimidating. good luck if you're counting on miller, prior or wood.
thats just the thing, for once they are not counting on prior and wood. wood if healthy will go to the bullpen and prior and miller arent being counted on to fill the rotation. thats not to say that prior and miller wont end up in the starting 5, but to start the season off they are not being counted on, jim hendry will instead try to fill the rotation through free agency and trades. theres still specualtion that the cubs are looking to add at least 2 starting pitchers to go behind zambrano and hill as well as another hitter since soriano might not play center for the cubs after all but instead will be moved to right or left.

CUBS STARTING PITCHER WISH LIST
Ted Lilly
Gil Meche
Vicente Padilla
Miguel Bautista
Kel Igawa
Jason Marquis
Jake Westbrook

Oct 20, 2003
enserio said:
I was hoping my Pads would be aggressive enough to pick him up, but that was hella wishful thinking. Great fucking pick up for your team.
Thanks, whats up with the pads anyway are they planning on bringing back Todd Walker? also i heard they might be inclined to deal Jake Peavy, that would be a huge mistake.