some more help, business side of beats tho

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 11, 2005
alright, i aint no producer, i consider myself just a beatmaker, yes i find there is a difference between the two, anyways, i got my myspace music profile going and im getting offers from dudes to make them beats......how do you guys work it out??? heres thel way a recent offer has just been layed out....

- get a message saying "damn, tracks 3 and 2 are knocks, how much you hittin for?"

- i give ammount then they say "alright lets do this then"

- i ask by when they need the beat done then they tell me

- go to work then get back at dude

how do i do the whole money transaction thing??? im new to this so someone please help me out

Apr 25, 2002
There isn't any set method, you do what works for you. You can collect the money however you want.. Paypal, money order, personal check, or if he's local you can meet him in person for cash. Then just deliver the beat however you agreed to deliver it. Two channel mixdown in mp3, tracked out to cdr, pro-tools session omf, whatever. It sounds like this is an internet transaction with an independant artist so it should be pretty simple.

A small piece of advice.. Always get your money first, before you hand over the work. Make sure the check, money order, whatever clears.

Mar 22, 2004
Sick Wid It said:
There isn't any set method, you do what works for you.

A small piece of advice.. Always get your money first, before you hand over the work. Make sure the check, money order, whatever clears.
That's the truth!
I got jacked once by some imposters on the net, so don't believe everyone on the web. Alot of little ass kids runnin around looking for free beats and shit.
I do most of my stuff on the web through paypal or Postal Money Order.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
What about the use of samples, are yall actually getting them cleared or are you just biting the bullet and hope no one fucks with you

Sep 11, 2005
yeah, its all just a bunch of young ass dudes getting at me for beats, aint nothing too serious......good lookin out on the advice to everybody

EDIT: forgot to ask, they say they want a hyphy/clubbanger type of song, alright i got it done....now do i just send a snippet of it to see if t hey like it or what would you guys suggest??

Dec 23, 2005
i think for samples if you sell the beat to the artist then thats their problem because they own the rights to the beat, but if you produce the beat and take credits for it i dont know what will happen.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Always use a contract, always get things signed and agreed, you never know when things will come to bite you in the ass, so always use a contract, specifying everything, in detail, with names and everything. Even if it's just a bunch of young cats, small independent cats, always get each business transaction marked, for future reference, and just security.

Peace.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
jayda650 said:
What about the use of samples, are yall actually getting them cleared or are you just biting the bullet and hope no one fucks with you
You can always just state in the contract if beat is manufactured/published into a song, all samples must first be cleared and leave it up to the artist that way, hahaha.

Sep 11, 2005
good lookin out Filthy, i was thinking of doing that but just was worried that they might reverse it on me and use it as part of the beat, haaah

@ Mr. Samos, do i make the contract myself or is it cool if i just get a message from them saying "yeah its cool, i agree to your terms..blah balh"??

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
supavillain said:
good lookin out Filthy, i was thinking of doing that but just was worried that they might reverse it on me and use it as part of the beat, haaah

@ Mr. Samos, do i make the contract myself or is it cool if i just get a message from them saying "yeah its cool, i agree to your terms..blah balh"??
I mean a signed contract as you would send them the papers and have them sign them and send them back to you. Last thing you want is a simple business deal to come back at you and bite you in the ass, for whatever reasons, it just happens, better to be safe.

There are contracts all over the internet, you can gather some and write your own, or just find a good one and print it out. It's worth it. It will keep track of your transactions and it will also give you heads up if anything ever went bad.

There's no need to clear a sample on your own on. Not every song ever created is going to be released. Sample clearing is usually the artist's responsibility, if they have a record deal and work with a publishing company, then they may do it for the artist. There are also companies that clear samples. It can cost some dough. But the best way is to first ask the right people for permission. I wouldn't trip over samples. You would have to state a paragraph or so in your contract(s) on this subject. Leaving the clearing of the sample (stated) to the artist as their responsibility.

Take care!

Mar 22, 2004
Filthy_Rich said:
i would send a voice tagged version of that beat. u use FL right? FL has that voice synth (forgot what it's called). just loop it throughout the track so that they can hear the beat, but won't be able to use it.
INDEED! I just had this happen again! I got one of my beats looped on the new Messy Marv album, so even more known fools are jackin shit from beat snips.

NEVER AGAIN will I send out un-tagged beats!

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Me myself?

1. I only send out vocal tagged snippets (usually about 1:30 in length). Even if you're dealing with clients that you have worked with before and you feel are trustworthy...SHIT HAPPENS. We just had an incident where one of my artists bought this beat from another producer buddy of mine, but somehow the beat ended up on some other dude's MySpace Music page. How did this happen? My producer buddy had given another prospective client a beat CD containing the same beat to check out, he went to the studio one day to record and forgets the beat CD. Guess what happens next?? Some other cat comes in for the next session, finds the beat CD and decides FUCK IT! I'M GONNA JUST USE THIS BEAT I FOUND ON THIS CD. How could this problem have been avoided? If he would have vocal tagged his beats! Also....I make sure the vocal tag runs through the ENTIRE snippet and doesn't leave any sections that can be sampled and looped. And if somebody did go to all that fuckin' trouble to do that....well fuck it. lol

2. Always get the money up front.

3. SAMPLE CLEARANCE is not YOUR problem. However it is your responsibility to keep track of and document any and ALL samples used in a beat. Organization is the key! My boy Bean 1 was tellin' me that they (the majors) make him provide audio copies of the actual unaltered song that he sampled. It is the record labels responsibility to clear and pay for the licensing of the samples, not yours. So sample anything you want! It's not your problem in the long run anywayz. OH! It can however affect how much you get paid for the beat. So there is a downside to sampling...due to the fact that the label knows they're gonna have to pay to get the samples cleared, so it's going to make them want to pay you less for it.

4. Try to do paperwork as often as possible just so everything is on the up & up. I admit that I rarely do it with cats that I've been working with for a long time, but I always do with cats I don't know. I also include a clause in my agreements that indemnifies me from any liability in the event that there is legal action taken against the purchaser of the beat due to uncleared samples. I include the samples in the agreement as well so that it is documented and signed so that can't say I never informed them. I also include clauses that state the beat can't be resold, the way my credits on the CD artwork should read, etc. You have to SPECIFIC!

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Vince V. said:
INDEED! I just had this happen again! I got one of my beats looped on the new Messy Marv album, so even more known fools are jackin shit from beat snips.

NEVER AGAIN will I send out un-tagged beats!
Man I saw a dvd that some bay artist put out and they showed a concert on it. They had a beat of mine looped over and over (they snatched it from when I had my sound click page.)

I think the reason people are so brazen now is because of the mixtape game, how easy it is to get beats and how easy it is to make a mixtape and be like one of the millions of rappers out now. In my case I can prove the beat is mine, but proving who snatched it, looped it, and presented it to the artist at the show will be hard to prove. In your case you should get at messy marv and tell him about the situation.

Mar 22, 2004
HERESY said:
Man I saw a dvd that some bay artist put out and they showed a concert on it. They had a beat of mine looped over and over (they snatched it from when I had my sound click page.)

I think the reason people are so brazen now is because of the mixtape game, how easy it is to get beats and how easy it is to make a mixtape and be like one of the millions of rappers out now. In my case I can prove the beat is mine, but proving who snatched it, looped it, and presented it to the artist at the show will be hard to prove. In your case you should get at messy marv and tell him about the situation.
Yeah I know. He actually hit me via email and I sent him some snips, I was supposed to meet up with him out in the bay and get cashed out for a few tracks, well he went to jail, never returned my calls or emails, and then I hear the shit on the new album "what you know bout me pt2" the track is called "Doin the Most" I'm not even sure if I got an album credit! So he's very aware of the situation, but there's alot of cats doin bad business these days.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Thats fucked up....:dead:

At any rate just continue to bang out tracks and get your bread. I don't understand why cats do this shit, but if the shoe was on the other foot niggas would be ready to jump down someones throat, pull pistols, beat niggas up like they The Gov or Suge or ready to make dis tracks.

But I can't trip on what happened to me cause I've "accepted" a few plugins I didn't have the license for...:x

Jan 2, 2007
Vince V. said:
Yeah I know. He actually hit me via email and I sent him some snips, I was supposed to meet up with him out in the bay and get cashed out for a few tracks, well he went to jail, never returned my calls or emails, and then I hear the shit on the new album "what you know bout me pt2" the track is called "Doin the Most" I'm not even sure if I got an album credit! So he's very aware of the situation, but there's alot of cats doin bad business these days.

puttin it on myspace is exactly what i woulda done.make it known