Social Heredity

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
Let's discuss the topic of Social Heredity briefly. For those that don't know what this means: It's basically when a parent (or teachers and overall environment) pass on their beliefs to the next generation. With that said, I believe Social Heredity to be the #1 cause of ignorance in the world.

Why? Because even as adults, a lot of us think, act, and believe certain things for no reason other than you were told to at an early age. This applies to religion, education, financial, social communication, and every other possible thought and behavioral pattern. As children, we assume that virtually everything our parents, teachers and other adults say is true. In many cases, we assume that everything some of our friends say is true. But that's not all. Your parents taught you what their parents taught them and so on. In other words, the cycle continued from generation to generation. Which proves that hardly anyone will ever grow up to challenge what they were taught growing up. It's a well known fact that whatever you drill into a child's mind before they reach the age of 15 will most likely be their beliefs for the rest of their lives...unless they change it. But it becomes extremely difficult after that point.

Here's the thing though. How many of you have ever stopped, took a look at the person teaching you certain beliefs, saw that they're not the kind of person you want to be....and challenged it? For example: When your parents told you how to make it in the world. How many of you grew up with parents that struggled their whole life, and when you were old enough to understand the world, you decided to go a different route? Another example: Who grew up with racist parents who tried to teach you their hate as well, but once you were old enough to understand the world, you challenged what you were taught and found your own way?
Simply put, people pass down religious beliefs, bad money habits, racism (and other forms of intolerance) and other negative thoughts and behavior to the next generation....and we, being children with extremely fertile minds when we're taught this nonsense, believe it as if it's the absolute truth. And continue to believe it for as long as we live.

Unfortunately, most people will never challenge what they were taught growing up...despite the fact that it's not getting them anywhere. Which is interesting. Many of us will grow up and go right down the same path that our parents taught us, go through the same horrific struggles, and never think to do anything different. All because we're afraid to go against what we were taught as children...

How many of you were brought up a certain way, believed as your parents believed, only to challenge it later on in life in order to move ahead?

May 15, 2002
to me that is a big problem too but its also a good thing if you were taught right. thats what gives us all our outlook then its up to us if we change for the better.
Well said. It's crazy because a lot of people will grow up, see that what they were taught is wrong, but are too afraid to go against their parents belief. Interesting....

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
ah the fear of change period is tuff for people. i learned alot from their mistakes. one i did not learn was having kids before living a single life in my 20's . ive been with my wife almost 10 years. my parents did the same. got married in their 20's and shit. but i also didnt wanna be an old dad out of touch with the youth.

alot of racism is taught. thats one thing i cant wait to die out. it will probably be my kids kids who are gonna see it almost gone. barring some kind of race war in the next 10-20 years....

Nov 10, 2008
Most people are the way they are from there environment.As we grow older,wisdom sometimes doesnt play apart in peoples lives.This usually has do with being uneducated...Its up to us to determine what B.S. or fact...Now we in our adult age have a choice to continue the B>S with our own children,OR we can enlighten them on real things!I dont know what "the cat in the hat"or row row row your boat " has anything to offer or younglings as far as education.We have to remebr our kids are in these institutions around 6 hours a day....