So who's to blame?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Miro

Sicc OG
Sep 20, 2006
thought this would use some critiquing:

thesis: you cant really blame a great number of people for doing something stupid, at some point there needs to be intervention by government.

a few examples:

housing: if a few percentage of homes were lost due to foreclosures you can blame the person who purchased it, but when its above a double digit percentage of homeowners then we have a problem that will not only effect the person who lost it but the rest of us as well.

retirement: We also amidst a crisis when these baby boomers who were given 401Ks in the 70s, only to fine out they dont have enough for retirement. If it was just a small percentage then you can blame the person, but when its close to 1/2 (not sure about the number but its high) we need government intervention. Although they can get social security the thing about that is they can only make $15k if they’re receiving the social security.

healthcare: 40% of us have inadequate health insurance, 20% have none what so ever. At what point does it become a crisis and need government to step in and resolve this?

uprising: In any uprising/overthrow of government the first who strike sometimes get caught and kill and made an example, only for the rest to follow later. Then this happen does the previous government blame them? no that government flee and never comes back.

Jan 31, 2008
unfortunately everybody is responsible.

people forget that doing anything, like voting, automatically agrees with and supports many more underlying meanings that had given birth to voting.

why do the majority vote republican/democrat and simply think they are voicing their opinion without strings attached?

why do people hate war rather than love peace? what do they enforce by hating war?

why do people live according to capitalism, support and enforce it by playing the game, then complain about people in power who have robbed them of their full potential at living?

it was them who are enforcing these things .

i believe its more of what people dont do rather than do, and that is think.

Nov 24, 2003
1) Why can't you blame a great number of people for doing something?

-Nazis come immediately to mind

2) Why is the government the solution to every problem? Is the government not made up of the very same people who are susceptible to the same pitfalls of the average citizen?

-I'll let you have the pleasure of allowing Kwame Kilpatrick, Sarah Palin, George Bush, Dick Chenney, Rod Blagojevich, Ted Kennedy & Mitch McConnel to intervene and solve your problems.

Oct 6, 2005

2) Why is the government the solution to every problem? Is the government not made up of the very same people who are susceptible to the same pitfalls of the average citizen?

-I'll let you have the pleasure of allowing Kwame Kilpatrick, Sarah Palin, George Bush, Dick Chenney, Rod Blagojevich, Ted Kennedy & Mitch McConnel to intervene and solve your problems.
You leave Kwame Kilpatrick outta this... That broad set him up... Plus... It's soooooo cold in the D...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 24, 2003

Let me add to this now that I am not so tired.

On not blaming people because a great number of people are doing it;

---Slavery? Do they all get a pass?

Back to you letting the government intervene and solve all your problems:

---1) U.S. acknowledges it infected Guatemalans with syphilis in 1940s

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2013052293_guat02.html

---2) Government sanctioned, covert human testing on American Citizens including "extensive testing and experimentation" program which included covert drug tests on unwitting citizens"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKULTRA

---3) WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency has decided there's no need to rid drinking water of a toxic rocket fuel ingredient that has fouled public water supplies around the country.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/22/epa-wont-remove-rocket-fu_n_128460.html

---4) WASHINGTON (AP) — Almost two years ago, the Food and Drug Administration ignored the advice of its scientists and approved a knee implant after being lobbied by members of Congress. On Thursday, the agency issued an unprecedented "mea culpa," saying the device should not have been approved.

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health/healthcare/government/2010-10-14-fda-knee_N.htm

---5) In an interview for the September issue of the conservative magazine Newsmax, Gov. Sarah Palin, R-Alaska, said she does not believe climate change is caused by human behavior.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/08/palin-global-wa.html

---6) http://wikileaks.org/

Not exactly people I want intervening in anything. :dead:

Miro

Sicc OG
Sep 20, 2006
Let me add to this now that I am not so tired.

On not blaming people because a great number of people are doing it;

---Slavery? Do they all get a pass?

perfect example. it was well accepted by the white majority, but the white minority that were against it eventually convince the Americas that it was wrong and became the majority.

i'll look at your other points later

Sep 16, 2008
perfect example. it was well accepted by the white majority, but the white minority that were against it eventually convince the Americas that it was wrong and became the majority.
White majority in the south you mean

Nov 24, 2003

i'll look at your other points later

I know it is a perfect example.

Lets revisit your thesis.

thesis: you cant really blame a great number of people for doing something stupid, at some point there needs to be intervention by government.

So in your opinion, can we "blame" slave owners for having slaves and violating the rights of their fellow human beings, or because "a great number" of people were doing it at that time, can we not blame them?

Nov 24, 2003
Calling the civil war "over slavery" is a bit of an oversimplification.

I say that because I don't want this thread to get derailed into tangent argument about slavery in the US.