so is anybody into sound design in here?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 6, 2006
if so what tools of the trade are yal usin?

ive been tryin to figure out reaktor (native instruments)for sum time now,its hard ass shit,i also use another program which is really great,forgot the name of the vst tho,im real heavy into it,love filters and trying out diff shit,shit is fun, i plan on purchasing and owning my own moog voyager one day,that would be dope thnx bob (r.i.p)

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
For straigh tup sound design and textures I use the roland xp-60, mp-7 and motif es. For combis and textures I use the Karma and Motif es. I think out of all of them the easiest to create sounds from scratch (or from presets) might be the xp-60 and mp-7.

I did use to use reaktor back in the day (and it is tight), but there is so much software out now that its hard to keep up with a lot of it. But, if I were going to dedicate a computer to sound design I would probably use Giga, something from Yellow Tools (no I do NOT mean pro tools), and this one program that I can't remember the name of but do remember teh price of.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Ive created patches on a dx100..thats was not very easy or fun....My jp8000 i made a few..alot more fun cause you have 24 knobs and 16 sliders..I have some custom patches for that and my motif I got doing a midi dump from the internet...

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
HERESY said:
50 your homie get his new pro tools rig?
Not yet..his check came and being it was an out of stae check they put an 11 day hold or something.I beleive he gets the money tuesday....he just got some krkv8 and aint hooked em up yet.said he is waiting to hook it all up....Sent his mpc4000 to bruce forat to get customized...But until he actually has the hd3 at his house..then we will see

Mar 17, 2006
C.M.P CEO said:
if so what tools of the trade are yal usin?

ive been tryin to figure out reaktor (native instruments)for sum time now,its hard ass shit,i also use another program which is really great,forgot the name of the vst tho,im real heavy into it,love filters and trying out diff shit,shit is fun, i plan on purchasing and owning my own moog voyager one day,that would be dope thnx bob (r.i.p)

Lately I've been going this route:

I take one shot notes (usually actual samples from vintage keyboards/drum machines), drop them into a soft sampler. Instead of playing with the sampler parameters, I just transpose the note and do all my tweaking with EFX. both the ones built into my DAW and Vsti. It's non-destructive to the source sample, and if I like how something sounds I can export it in resampled form for the library.

I know more can be done (and probably a lot of the same of what Im doing) with specialized sound design tools and working with the soft samplers internal tweaks, but I'm going with what I know and can grasp. I'm still not very comfortable with a PC-based setup for full-fledged production, I wish I could go back to having my SP 1200, EMAX II, Roland R-8, Alesis sequencer and four-track, but that gear is gone, so I'm trying to make the best of it :)

STRATEGY

Apr 26, 2006
I haven't messed much with the modular enviroment type sound design programs like Reaktor, VAZ, etc... or VST Synth building programs like SynthEdit or SynthMaker, cuz those are far too complicated IMO. Those types of programs demand a lot of learning time because you actually got to "build" your synth from the ground up. I seriously won't know where to begin. haha

But as far as fiddling with VSTi synths and crafting my own sounds from them and editing pre-existing patches, hell yeah I love to do that. $hit is fun. :classic: I pretty much got a decent grasp on subtractive synthesis.

Apr 26, 2006
HERESY said:
^^^ With reaktor you don't have to build your own synth. They have synths that work right out of the box.

Yeah I know like "Carbon," but Reaktor is still more geared for people building their "own" synths, effects, sequencers.... That's pretty much the point of the program, so you can build you own $hit. Piece together whatever the hell you want, you know. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a wicked ass program, but if your intention is to just use the built-in synths that it comes with, I'm not really sure if it's worth it then. If that's the case, I would rather use a different synth that's all by itself, like Pro-53, FM7,etc...

BTW, You got version 5?

Feb 19, 2008
www.soundclick.com
I'm trying to learn about Synthedit right now. I'm thinking about making a VSTi that has actual sound that is hot and easy to scheme through for all the hot sounds you need for Hip Hop & RnB. I'm thinking of making it a product to sell online.

Apr 26, 2006
I'm trying to learn about Synthedit right now. I'm thinking about making a VSTi that has actual sound that is hot and easy to scheme through for all the hot sounds you need for Hip Hop & RnB. I'm thinking of making it a product to sell online.
Any of the top synths out there can be suitable for Hiphop & RnB. I mean if your looking for the newer clubby synth leads, well there's tons of synths out there for that "Trance" lead already. It's really nothing special, it's a sound that has been out for ages, it just happens to be used in a lot in Hiphop today, especially club beats. Or if your looking for that older G-Funk style WestCoast monophonic leads and basses, well those synths are out there as well, Minimonsta, MinimoogV to name a few.

I'm not saying don't or discouraging you from designing a VSTi, just saying those sounds are not hard to come by at all. The main thing I think if your going to make a synth is come up with A LOT of presets & banks for your synth that cover those sounds for the genre in a nice neat and ordered fashion. It would be easier to market that way I think. For example, I don't think you'd be needing evolving landscape patches for hiphop & RnB, focus on leads, bass, strings and perhaps percussion like kicks, bass drops.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I been making some crazy leads from samples...

I find a part of the frequency I like in the sample and loop it... its normally like .02 of a sec to a second. Run through OSC Filter and Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release... route to some effects and I been making some crazy "orginal" shit

edit: just noticed this thread old

Apr 25, 2002
I was never into sound design much...until I got OMNISPHERE. Its a much more powerful, flexible and user friendly synth than any piece of hardware I own/owned(Motif, Fantom, Proteus 2k).
If you're not fuckin with Omnisphere, you're missing out.