So im bout to be setting up an aquarium.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

JAPE

Sicc OG
Apr 29, 2006
and gettin an oscar and a algae eater.

but i dont know exactly what i need.. from what i understand is i need a Filter with a BIO wheel. and a heater. thermometer. and a PH, carbon dioxide, nitrite, nitrate, testing kit.. but is that all??

oh and a tank.

EVERgREENRIDER

ResidentRocketScientist
Dec 18, 2008
At the Pump
Yo just get u a filter with some charcoal cartridges, dont need to be a bio wheel. A heater ( get the right size for your tank or u could fry the fish), a temp strip to put on your tank so u know when u good. Lil bit of rocks for the bottom. If u gettin an algae eater from the jump u goin to need to get algae wafers for it til your tank gets established. Shit is so easy to set up a freshwater tank dog, and oscars are actually smart fish. They recognize it if u name em and respond to it

Dec 8, 2009
Freshwater is pretty easy and not to much to worry about.

I have a 125 gallon with a huge arowana i've had for a few years now.

Don't go cheap on the filter..mine was 300..the 200 one will work fine..again this is for a 125.

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP SOME SHIT CALLED "PRIME" They have it for Fresh water and Saltwater...its about 20-25 bucks a bottle but that shit is the truth. It will help with any spikes in amonia,nitrate,nitrite,c.d. ect. Its the truth. And you can use up to 5 times the recommended dose if your tank is in big trouble and its still good for the fish.

If your doin koi than you wont need a heater but if you want sumthin else than get one.

Do a 25% water change once a week. You can get a hose that attatches to the sink so when you turn the sink on the reverse pressure pulls the water from the tank or bice versa...it's a must so you dont have to do the old bucket routine.

Let me know when you wanta start doin Saltwater.

EVERgREENRIDER

ResidentRocketScientist
Dec 18, 2008
At the Pump
Saltwater i always wanted to get into but the start up cost is ridiculus. Live rock, coral, proper matching of fish....too much. I jus want to get baked an zone out on some fishies fightin an shit!

Dec 8, 2009
Ya I gave up on Saltwater this year TBH.

You get tired of watchin fish die on there own stress and you have to do water changes constantly...plus your forced to do it w/ the buckets because you have to mix the saly.

I've had Triggers,Picasso's,Sea Horses,angels,eels.

All it takes is a spike in amonia which will happin if you sneeze the wrong way.

I actually found out Saltwater is more stable in the bigger tank sizes just because the enzhymes saltwater fish put off mixed w/ the kind of food they eat is make a tank dirt fast.

I had a 60. I might get back into it and upgrade but after seeing thousands of dollars go down the drain and fish after ccool ass fish die as soon as I start to like em I was like fuck it.

I'm actually looking at Asian Asowana's now. I know somebody who has a golden crossback and a purple n red guy. they're licensed n tagged. He's a preacher and they're some how incorporated in w/ his religion so he can have them legally.

Wish I could hav'm buy I'm not gunna fake a religion to havem...i'm to superstitious plus I guess it's really bad luck if you own them and they die.

Oct 18, 2003
my bro been having tanks. i think you gotta set up your tank and water before the fish enter. there got to be some bacteria in there you can't just have fresh water and throw em in there right off the bat. i think a day or two will do. i'll ask him about it tomorrow.

i've had oscars and he's always had africans. if you don't keep up with oscars though they get this shit called head rot and will end up with holes in their head and eventually die off. oscars are fuck'n cool but the maintenance is a must.

EVERgREENRIDER

ResidentRocketScientist
Dec 18, 2008
At the Pump
They recomend settin up 24 hours ahead of puttin fish in but with my experience i found as long as your temp is good fuck all that waitin. Drop them bitches in! Freshwater fish are cheap expect to go thru em. One day everything will be good next day u wake up and half the tank is dead

Dec 12, 2008
Roseville , Ca.
They recomend settin up 24 hours ahead of puttin fish in but with my experience i found as long as your temp is good fuck all that waitin. Drop them bitches in! Freshwater fish are cheap expect to go thru em. One day everything will be good next day u wake up and half the tank is dead
This has happened to me bout 5 times -

I got 1 fish now - He's an O.G. murked all the others .......

Dec 8, 2009
Yeah w/ a saltwater tank you need to let it run up to a month before introducing life into the system. You can cut it down to a few days if you buy live sand.

W. a freshwater you can do same day as long as everything tests out clean on the strips.

FDS

RIP DUKE BROTHERS
Jan 29, 2006
you abandoned the thread goons. fuck you.

all bullshit aside though, just get the heater, filter and they sell these pills that u just drop in the tank to get ur water just right.

i used to work at the aquatics department at petsmart when i was 17 so that makes me a certified expert.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
if you don't keep up with oscars though they get this shit called head rot and will end up with holes in their head and eventually die off. oscars are fuck'n cool but the maintenance is a must.
Is that the same thing as dorpsy? I had 2 betas and they both died of dorpsy, got one white spot on their fin that turned into a hole, scales started pine coning and their gut got swollen. It's like fish kidney failure, got my tank on hold until I get some new rocks and maybe lightly bleach the heater and tank, got a new filter tho so thats taken care of.