"Smart Gun"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 13, 2002
TRENTON, N.J. (Dec. 23) - New Jersey on Monday became the first state to enact ''smart gun'' legislation that would eventually require new handguns to contain a mechanism that allows only their owners to fire them.

Gov. James E. McGreevey signed the bill into law requiring the ''smart guns,'' but the rule will not go into effect immediately because the technology is still under development. It could be years before it becomes a reality.

''This is common-sense legislation. There are safety regulations on cars, on toys. It's clearly time we have safety regulations on handguns,'' McGreevey said at Monday's signing ceremony.

Under the New Jersey law, smart-gun technology will be required in all new handguns sold three years after the state attorney general determines a smart gun prototype is safe and commercially available.

The New Jersey Institute of Technology is developing a smart gun prototype that would use sensors on the pistol grip to identify a user.

The owner would have his or her grip programmed at a gun shop or police range by practice-firing the weapon. A microchip in the weapon would remember the grip and determine in an instant whether the authorized user was holding the weapon. If not, the gun would not fire.

Supporters say the law will help prevent accidental gun deaths and suicides.

But opponents argued that it makes little sense to legislate about a technology that does not yet exist and have raised questions about its reliability.

''No technology is foolproof,'' said Nancy Ross, spokeswoman for the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs. ''Anyone who has a computer knows how many times it crashes.''

Crazy Shit

Fawg

Sicc OG
Aug 1, 2002
Yeah, this shit soundz like Judge Dread shit. And if you do try using someone elses gun, you'll get a hella of a shock, which will drop you ass to the floor. NJ is not fuckin around anymore. To bad you could always get an illigal gun off the streetz just down the corner from Gov. James E. McGreevey office, lol JK, but who knows, you could.

~Fawg

May 8, 2002
JIM HAT said:
TRENTON, N.J. (Dec. 23) - The owner would have his or her grip programmed at a gun shop or police range by practice-firing the weapon. A microchip in the weapon would remember the grip and determine in an instant whether the authorized user was holding the weapon. If not, the gun would not fire.
and what happens if the owner (man of the house) isnt home and a burgler breaks in the the wife cant do anyting to protect herself and family from the intruder because the gun will only work for the father who isnt home.

JIM HAT said:
TRENTON, N.J. (Dec. 23) - But opponents argued that it makes little sense to legislate about a technology that does not yet exist and have raised questions about its reliability.
Crazy Shit
no kidding what if the battery is what ever it uses dies/malfunctrions in the middle of use and the owner ends up dead.

Fawg

Sicc OG
Aug 1, 2002
I think you should be able to program anyone you wanna let use the gun into the gun. Shit, more then one people should be able to shoot a gun. If they didn't do that, everyone would have to get a gun, and that wouldn't be good. Not everyone should own a gun.

~Fawg

May 12, 2002
If they make it so you can program who you want to be able to use it, like the people in your family, and the technology works 100% of the time (which I too think would be hard to do), then I think it would be a great invention.

May 12, 2002
GoProGraphics.com
FAWG, you may have a friend who has a felony charge, and handing him a gun to shoot, even for pure fun as friends, would be illegal and you will go to jail, lol.

AND ALSO they should make NEW BULLET SIZES for these guns, caus otherwise, you can always find an illegal gun in the future. If the guns had special bullets, you could fight illegal guns by destroying them.

Apr 25, 2002
Deep Thought said:
They should destroy all guns and just give everyone boxing gloves so cowards would be forced to settle their issues like men.

yea wars should be fought with cappitpalts ands swords n the nations leaders would be fighting along side wit other soilders, GORGE W. BUSH and SADAM should just fight things out to death.

F

FrayZ

ahhaha....but think about it like this..every thing they try to do to protect us with technology can be over ridden and hacked...if they did the technology with fingerprints i can have you over at my house give u something to drink, powder your prints make a latex copy and then i can frame you for murder..since no one else can use your gun... ;)

Jul 6, 2002
yea, technology is advancing faster than legal laws can mandate...

i think that smart guns would be weak, for the examples given above.

next the gov will tell you to get a "smart" chip implanted under your skin so they can guarantee your safety...it will be a gps system, have personal info like your bank acct, your leagl history, and be able to give your vital stats to whoever is "autherized" to retrieve your info...

think about it...i think my new years resolution is going to be to stock pile weapons of mass destruction, so can blast these neo-nazi bastards back to where they belong!:dead: :devious: