Should College Athletes Receive Financial Incentives For Playing?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 30, 2006
I almost made a poll for this but I know there are too many differen't answers to this and options I wouldn't of even thought of.

But this has been a small debate for awhile now...Brian Bosworth addressed this issue in his book back in the late 80's stating college athletes bring in millions to these schools but don't receive a dime.....A few athletes spoke briefly about this a few years back I remember but this topic seems to be quite sensetive and people seem scared to challange this shit.

From small schools to big time programs the schools make alot of money off of their student ahletes so do u think there should be some type of check cut to these players depending on the Division, level of play, specific sport they play, teams record, conferance etc.?

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
I've said, yes and continue to say yes. At the end of the day, if colleges want to keep there athletes from going pro, they need to make that move.

a play off system for ncaa d1 football, and even a minimal salary would be nice.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Implement a rookie pay scale like the NBA has for the NFL, and give the college players some cash to help with their families

Mar 16, 2005
how much is 4 years of schooling, room, board, books, etc worth?

I get it, I really do, that they bring in tons of money to the school, but alot of these kids are getting free school that they wouldn't have had otherweise by playing sports. you think Vince young would have got any schooling uch less Texas university schooling otherwise? Would Lawerence Phillips have got any schooling much less nebraska university??? etc etc etc

should they maybe get more done for them like more food etc...YES since they cant work due to school, practice, film etc, but anything more than basic, no, they are already getting something millions of other kids wish they could but cant because they cant afford it or just didnt get accepted to same school

May 30, 2006
how much is 4 years of schooling, room, board, books, etc worth?

I get it, I really do, that they bring in tons of money to the school, but alot of these kids are getting free school that they wouldn't have had otherweise by playing sports. you think Vince young would have got any schooling uch less Texas university schooling otherwise? Would Lawerence Phillips have got any schooling much less nebraska university??? etc etc etc

should they maybe get more done for them like more food etc...YES since they cant work due to school, practice, film etc, but anything more than basic, no, they are already getting something millions of other kids wish they could but cant because they cant afford it or just didnt get accepted to same school
U think Texas would of been playing for a BCS Championship let alone been able to beat SC w/o Young? Pay the Man! The free education is a good argument but not good enough.

May 9, 2002
U think Texas would of been playing for a BCS Championship let alone been able to beat SC w/o Young? Pay the Man! The free education is a good argument but not good enough.
LOL...education is like teaching someone how to fish. Paying someone is like someone fishing for you. and you never learning how to fish for yourself.

Education is PRICELESS.

Mar 16, 2005
but its not just education, its room, board, per diem, clothes etc...

like I said I get it I really do, but they get more then others and dont seem to appreciate or understand it. Like I said I do agree they should get more for food, entertainment and what not but as a "salary" no.

May 30, 2006
Education my ass....Most blue chip prospects and high impact players don't even graduate.....They leave skool first chance they get....They should sign an agreement to stay in school until they graduate while receiving financial incentives in order to be eligible to play a pro sport.

This will keep players in skool, college sports will be more exciting to watch and it might even help the economy.

Oh yeah implement a playoff schedule in D1 football....Something just needs to be done.

Vince Young didn't graduate but UT got millions just off that national championship game.....He should of got a check...He left skool early so a half ass college education he got and millions for UT don't match well IMO.

May 9, 2002
Education my ass....Most blue chip prospects and high impact players don't even graduate.....They leave skool first chance they get....They should sign an agreement to stay in school until they graduate while receiving financial incentives in order to be eligible to play a pro sport.

This will keep players in skool, college sports will be more exciting to watch and it might even help the economy.

Oh yeah implement a playoff schedule in D1 football....Something just needs to be done.

Vince Young didn't graduate but UT got millions just off that national championship game.....He should of got a check...He left skool early so a half ass college education he got and millions for UT don't match well IMO.
But this is the STUDENTS fault for not taking advantage...so why should the school care? Vince COULD HAVE stayed on took full advantage if he wanted to. Its his bad that he didn't.

School's are GIVING these kids something that people like me never got the chance to have: a full ride at a prestigious school. Thats $50,000 right there.

Mar 16, 2005

kinda screws baseball and hockey programs then! a kid drafted at 17 18 19 years old would then skip college or play overseas until he's refined enough to play pro here.

May 15, 2002
I know boosters pay the player. When I went to cal, few players told me how they'd get envelopes from playing good with cash in it.

I think they should get paid, but that'll never happen. You'd be opening pandora's box if you put that rule in place.