should all stores that sell music...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

To stores have to pay to have soundscan? If so I think its a bad idea, some of the mom and pops wont be able to afford soundscan and they are Bay Area Raps bread and butter.

S

senatorOFdaYAE

it cost about 4 grand i think to get all the stuff..if your smart and you can prove you can push enough product some of these major labels will help you get sound scan as well for a small favor [wink wink]...these bay area rappers will never get a push from majors cuz a majority of there stuff is being bought at mom and pops and majors will never see those sales in these demographics..if your a soundscan store majors will send you 25 free nelly cds or what ever they want to be big so you can sell them at a sale price since its free its all profit and they get the scan...atleast those of you who have sound scan i hope its that way for you if its not then somethings wrong for your situation.i think if all stores that carry music were scanned shit would be alot better...

O

olskooldj

SOUNDSCAN

AS A FORMER SOUNDSCAN/BILLBOARD DJ AND NOW OWNER OF A SOUNDSCAN STORE-WHILE THERE WERE SOME BENEFITS AS FAR AS FREE GOODS , THE PROBLEM IS NOWADAYS THEY DON'T ALWAYS SELL THRU EVEN AT SALE PRICES. BY THE WAY SOUNDSCAN SERVES AS EGO GRATIFICATION FOR THE INDUSTRY AND ITS EXECUTIVES-THAT'S ALL. SINCE ALL PRODUCT LEAVES FROM A WHAREHOUSE OWNED BY THE COMPANIES I CAN ASSURE YOU THEY KNOW HOW MANY WERE PRESSED AND SHIPPED , WHAT SOLD AND WHAT WAS RETURNED. BY THE WAY IN CASE SOME OF YOU DID NOT KNOW WHEN A RELEASE IS CERTIFIED GOLD, PLATINUM ETC., THAT ONLY MEANS THAT THAT AMOUNT WAS SHIPPED , NOT NECESSARILY SOLD-SO IT DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT RETURNS.THERE IS NO REASON WHY A WELL ORGANIZED INDIE LABEL CANNOT TRACK AND MAINTAIN ACCURATE FIGURES AS TO HOW MANY PIECES THEY HAVE SOLD.SOUNDSCAN FIGURES ARE WHAT INDUSTRY EXECS HANG THERE HATS ON AS FAR AS PROMOTIONS BUDGETS FOR NEW RELEASES AND IT EVEN CAN DETERMINE WHAT KIND OF BONUS HE OR SHE MIGHT GET AT THE END OF THE YEAR,OR ENABLE THEM TO KEEP THEIR JOB A LITTLE LONGER.