Shop it or INDEPENDENCE?!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 6, 2006
What's the wiser? Do you shop whatchu got lookin for a label home? Or do you and your squad slap together bread to try and make a loaf?

It's understandable that majority of NW artists dont have a commercial sound and arent expected to do numbers. Thats just harsh reality. BUT, there are those few, that handful, that have that soemthing that can carry then if they're pushed in the right direction.

So, I ask: do you shop for a major? Or carry your independence to a distributor? Or go totally independant?

Jan 28, 2005
I say do your thing, hopefully start a big buzz. If the buzz is big enough the majors will be trying to get at you, but then if you're doin it that big it would be more profitable to just explode independantly unless you're lookin to be on music videos and magazines all the time.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Nobody wants to pick you up if you can't do anything on your own. Straight up. So it's always easier to start independent and see what your capable of on your own. If you want to have any kind of chance with a major label you have to kick down their doors until they pay mind, otherwise your tapes will just get trashed.

But yeah, street buzz goes a long long way, but if you can't deliver, hang it up.

Independent all day until something better comes along.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Shopping it is a waste of time. If any major ever takes interest in anyone out here, not because they're selling units, but because they say they like the music.....WATCH OUT. They're probably looking to either pluck your project apart, or have you become a ghostwriter for their other garbage artists. This region HAS NOT proven it can sell enough units to recoup on any sizable investment. Any outside interest should be met with an equal amount of curiosity.

The best you can do is go indy, and do the things I've said before: Instead of buying your 15th different Condenser Mic, buy a Video Camera or a Digital Camera. Start capturing ALL the media you can--even exclusive stuff. Say you do a concert with Spice 1.....TRY to get that Interview, TRY to find someone to record your performance, TRY all that shit.

Then, months down the line...who knows...maybe a NW website will spring up, that will offer you at least a little bit of cash for that footage, where you otherwise wouldn't have made shit. Or, say, if you ever do make it big, that footage will equal big $$$$$$$$.

So basically.....go indie, keep it within your means, document whats going on around you, and WAIT for the infrastructure to be built around you. Anything else is an exercise in futility.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I'll still stick to the old saying, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Learn it and know it and practice it. The business.

Why would I sign with a Indi label that can't do nothing for me? Everything they can do I can do on my own, with my own money.

Your biggest step going Indi would be achieving distribution.

Peace.

Apr 7, 2004
I wouldnt shop it. I would try to build a buzz like fam said and run of that. If you can push 30,000 to 50,000 like a paul wall or mike jones they will come knocking. You just gotta work hard to get yo shit popping like that. Im still at it and I have long ways to go feel me. Keak been solo since 97 and he just getting it popping.