Shakespeare smoked pot...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DaGrimProphet

English Gentleman
Dec 23, 2014
UK
State-of-the-art forensic technology from South Africa has been used to try and unravel the mystery of what was smoked in tobacco pipes found in the Stratford-upon-Avon garden of William Shakespeare.

Residue from clay tobacco pipes more than 400 years old from the playwright’s garden were analysed in Pretoria using a sophisticated technique called gas chromatography mass spectrometry.

Chemicals from pipe bowls and stems which had been excavated from Shakespeare' garden and adjacent areas were identified and quantified during the forensic study. The artefacts for the study were on loan from the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.
Results of this study (including 24 pipe fragments) indicated cannabis in eight samples, nicotine in at least one sample, and in two samples definite evidence for Peruvian cocaine from coca leaves.

Shakespeare may have been aware of the deleterious effects of cocaine as a strange compound. Possibly, he preferred cannabis as a weed with mind-stimulating properties.

These suggestions are based on the following literary indications. In Sonnet 76, Shakespeare writes about “invention in a noted weed”. This can be interpreted to mean that Shakespeare was willing to use “weed” (cannabis as a kind of tobacco) for creative writing ("nvention").
Was William Shakespeare high when he penned his plays? - Features - Theatre & Dance - The Independent

I'm not surprised, weed was smoked by many rich people in Europe for a long time, I read somewhere that Queen Victoria smoked for medical purposes.

Henry VIII even forced farmers to use a fixed percentage of their land to grow hemp for the sails of his warships.

I just thought the idea of one of the most famous writers in history blazing up before writing is pretty amusing, especially with today's ridiculous stigma around the plant.

Mac Jesus

Girls send me your nudes
May 31, 2003
this has gotta be the least civilized and intellectual discussion about shakespeare in the history of mankind lol
In my uneducated view, I think people recognise their deeper selves in Shakespeare's works. He exposes and examines what lies beneath, its like having a reference work on the human experience, or more significantly, your own personal human experience. That's how I value him. The language and the form I find is something to get past in order reveal the insights - but the effort is amply rewarded.