Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
Four things we learned about TE Jimmy Graham from Seahawks coach Pete Carroll

On Thursday afternoon, Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll joined the team's flagship radio station 710 ESPN Seattle for a conversation with "Bob, Groz and Tom" on the team's recent trade for tight end Jimmy Graham.

Here are four things we learned about Graham from Carroll's 12-minute segment with 710:

1. What Graham Will Bring

Carroll called out Graham's red-zone and third-down production as key areas he expects the 6-foot-7, 265-pound tight end to contribute. He said Graham's work in the red zone has been "consistent" and "ridiculous," sharing an impressive statistic Graham has tallied over the last three years, when 35 of his 50 red-zone catches have gone for touchdowns.

"That's legit," said Carroll. "You go to him because he has such a great presence. That factor alone will add to it."

Carroll also said roughly 50 percent of Graham's catches on third down have gone for first downs, calling out similar numbers the team has received on the all-important down from wideout Doug Baldwin.

"That's a big addition to complement," he said. "We're excited about all that."

2. Where Graham Will Fit

Graham comes to the Seahawks from the New Orleans Saints, a team that's relied heavily on the arm of quarterback Drew Brees and the passing game since Graham entered the NFL in 2010.

Since 2011, Graham has never caught less than 85 balls in a season. To put that number in perspective from a Seahawks standpoint, Seattle's four tight ends combined for 48 catches last year as the club emphasized the run game behind Marshawn Lynch.

"We mix more than that," said Carroll. "We're a big, physical running football team that throws the football. Our guys don't get the same numbers, the same targets that other guys get, but their productivity can still be a huge factor."

Carroll said the Seahawks plan to involve Graham in the normal course of the throwing game. The one thing that will change is they now have "a real positive target" in the red zone.

"The routes won't change much other than he is a really good jump-ball guy," Carroll said. "You put the ball up to him with a guy one-on-one and he usually wins. That's a factor."

3. How Tough Graham Is

Graham has a reputation by players around the League as being a poor blocker, a trait that has led some to believe he lacks toughness. But Carroll isn't backing that notion after what he's seen from Graham on film with the Saints the past five seasons.

"That's not accurate," said Carroll. "We've watched his stuff. When you get 140-some targets there's a lot of shots they get to take at you, so he gets pounded in their offense. I don't think he's going to get hit like that in our offense because it'll be harder to zero-in on him. They threw to him so much that guys were lining him up and linebackers and safeties were taking shots at him. I don't think that's going to happen as much. When a guy gets hit like that it's hard to hold onto the football and they're full-on shots right in your mug."

Carroll said fans can expect Graham to run with the football "very aggressively" and showcase an ability to make catches "in all situations." Carroll brought up Graham's background as a basketball player at the University of Miami, where Graham ended his career as one of the conference's top rebounders.

"That's a huge stat about toughness," said Carroll. "You can't get rebounds year after year after year unless you compete and battle to get the ball. He shows that kind of desire and he shows that toughness in his play and you can see it when he's carrying the football and he's trying to run over guys and leap over guys trying to make things happen. We have no problem with that. I think he's going to fit in very well here and I think our mentality and the grit and the toughness that we have here will only bring out the best in him."

4. What Graham's Like As A Person

Graham traveled to Renton's Virgina Mason Athletic Center on Wednesday for a medical evaluation, part of the process needed to complete the trade with the Saints. While at Seahawks headquarters, Graham also met with team personnel and the coaching staff. "He blew our socks off" was how Carroll described Graham's initial visit.

"He's very bright," said Carroll. "He's very competitive. A very well-rounded person, just a remarkable person, really. I was thrilled about how comfortable he was in new settings with the coaches around him and the guys he was hanging out with."

Carroll said several of Graham's new teammates have already reached out to welcome him to Seattle. The first to make contact was quarterback Russell Wilson. Carroll said Graham told him he plans to work out with Wilson as soon as possible this offseason, "He said, 'Wherever Russell goes, I'm going.' That was the first thing he said."

"He's tuned in, man," said Carroll. "He was a blast. I think our fans are going to absolutely love this guy. He's got a lot of juice to him, energetic, and he's really a sharp guy."

Four things we learned about TE Jimmy Graham from Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on 710 ESPN Seattle

Feb 14, 2004
TE Graham excited to be in Seattle

Jimmy Graham, the newly-acquired tight end for the Seattle Seahawks, said there was something special he noticed about the Seahawks long ago while playing against them.

"The first thing I noticed was how close they were as an entire unit," Graham said. "When their offense is on the field, their defense is right there screaming and yelling. And when the defense is out there the offense is doing the same thing.

"It just seem like they have a culture there that breeds a brotherhood. They pull for each other. For them it's all about winning. It's not about individual anything. I really look forward to being a part of that."

Graham was lying on the beach Tuesday afternoon in South Florida when he received a call he never expected. New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton told him he has been traded to the Seattle Seahawks.

"It was definitely out of left field," Graham said. "But when [Payton] told me it was Seattle, it put a grin on my face. It was a moment of shock, but once that shock cleared, I realized I was going to the best team in football."

The Pro Bowl player was traded to Seattle for center Max Unger and Seattle's first-round draft pick this year. The Seahawks get a fourth-round pick from the Saints. Graham spoke to Seahawks reporters on a conference call Thursday afternoon. He arrived in Seattle Wednesday afternoon and passed his physical after a long conversation with Seahawks coach Pete Carroll.

"Man, I love him," Graham said of Carroll. "He puts a smile on my face. He really is a player's coach. The way Pete knew so much about me, half the stuff I had forgotten about. That really means something, that he would take the time to learn all these things about me. It truly meant a lot."

The Seahawks fans know Graham as a man who has had some tense moments and emotional altercations with Seahawks players in the past. There was the pregame screaming match with Seattle linebacker Bruce Irvin before a playoff game two seasons ago, along with other confrontations on the field.

"Whenever you are getting ready for a playoff game, you know how important those games are," Graham said. "There's a lot of emotion that goes into those games. It's all about doing whatever it takes to fire guys up and get that emotion running.

"That's just a part of the game. We play a contact sport and it's aggressive. You have to be aggressive in everything you do. But I'm excited to get to know these guys and become one of their brothers. You can tell all that's on their mind is winning championships. That's their complete focus. It's really encouraging to get to be a part of that."

Graham, 28, went through some difficult contract negotiations with the Saints a year ago, which some people think was a factor in the trade. But he says he leaves New Orleans with no hard feelings.

"When I went there I was a boy and I feel like now I'm leaving there as a man," Graham said. "I owe a lot to that coaching staff, my teammates and that city for believing in me."

Jimmy Graham says it's all about winning with the Seattle Seahawks - ESPN

ALL BOUT CHICKEN

Allez Les Bleus 🌟🌟
Feb 27, 2006
Paris, France
www.fubuoverstock.com
Report: Michael Bennett wants trade to Atlanta, new contract

Maybe there’s a reason Greg Hardy’s taking a trip to Seattle.

Apparently, one of their pass-rushers wants out, which would create an opening.

According to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Seahawks defensive end Bennett is seeking a trade to the Falcons, and wants a new contract.

Bennett signed a four-year, $28.5 million contract in Seattle a year ago, after winning a Super Bowl on his one-year prove-it deal with the Seahawks in 2013.

But he apparently sees the market changing for pass-rushers, and wants to get back in on it with a guy he knows well.

Falcons coach Dan Quinn knows Bennett well from his time as Seahawks defensive coordinator, and obviously understands the need.

The Falcons have already signed Adrian Clayborn and O’Brien Schoefield among others in their defensive makeover, but Bennett would be the biggest move of their offseason push to pressure quarterbacks.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
If thats true Bennett can fuck off then. Damn man that's pretty faulty to say all that lovey dovey shit to us then want out a year into a 4 year contract. For what? Dude must be coked up or some shit. But I dont think its true