Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks tender contracts to five free agents

The Seattle Seahawks tendered one-year contract offers to five of their restricted free agents on Thursday, a procedure that guarantees the club compensation if any of the players signs with another club.

The Seahawks initiated the right of first refusal on offensive linemen Chris Spencer and Rob Sims, defensive end Darryl Tapp and wide receiver Ben Obomanu.

The Seahawks also made an exclusive rights tender to linebacker David Hawthorne, which means he will not be free to negotiate with any other teams.

They tendered Spencer at the first-round level, Tapp at the second-round, Sims at the fourth round and Obomanu at the seventh, the original round in which each was drafted. The Seahawks would receive that draft pick in return if the players do sign with another team.

The one-year tender offer for Spencer is $1.23 million, Tapp and Sims are just under $1.2 million and Obomanu is at $1.1 million. If the players receive an offer from another team, the Seahawks can either match that or receive the draft-pick compensation.

However, there is another step in the process with Spencer, who will have to be either offered 110 percent of last year's salary (which would up the deal to $2.4 million) or release him by June 1.

While fans have assumed the Seahawks would just let Spencer go after he was moved to guard for the final three games of the season last year to allow Max Unger's transition to center, the former first-round pick obviously does still have enough value that the club wants to keep its options open for now.

It is possible to reduce a player's draft-choice compensation to a lower round than his original position in order to increase the chance of another team signing him to an offer sheet. The Seahawks chose not to go that route with Spencer, which means he'll likely be brought to camp and given a shot to win a roster spot again.

The tender offers are not guaranteed contracts, so there is no risk if a player doesn't make the final 53-man roster. But it appears the Seahawks at least want to see what they've got with Spencer.

On the flip side, the Seahawks could have used an "upgraded tender" on Sims, raising his draft-pick compensation as well as his salary level. Instead they left him with an original-round tender, which in his case could leave the door open to signing elsewhere since the compensation is only a fourth-round pick for a starting left guard.

Remember, however, that Seattle will be able to match any offer made to Sims or the other restricted free agents if it chooses.

Seattle did not tender tackle Brandon Frye or linebacker Lance Laury. Frye is an interesting situation as a young prospect the Seahawks liked last year after picking up on waivers, but he immediately suffered a season-ending neck injury.

Obviously the club didn't want to offer a $1.1 million tender in his tenuous position, but that doesn't mean he or Laury won't be asked to re-sign now for a lesser amount on the open market.

The club already has placed the franchise tag on kicker Olindo Mare, who would have been a free agent as well.

The tendering procedure is available to "restricted free agents" who have less than six years of NFL experience. Unrestricted free agents, or players with six or more years in the league whose contracts have expired, are able to change teams without compensation.

Previously players became unrestricted free agents after their fourth season -- as would have been the case with Sims and Spencer -- but that has changed this year due to the "uncapped" situation with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Yes, it's all very confusing. But one thing to note is the league's free agency period begins tonight at 9 p.m. and that's when free agents will be able to begin signing with other clubs.

If the restricted free agents sign offers elsewhere, the Seahawks must decide whether to match or not. But unrestricted free agents (those with six or more years in the league) are able to go wherever they please.

Seattle's unrestricted free agents are wide receiver Nate Burleson, fullback Justin Griffith, linebacker D.D. Lewis, cornerback Ken Lucas, tackle Damion McIntosh, safety Lawyer Milloy, defensive end Cory Redding, long snappers Kevin Houser and Jeff Robinson, as well as Laury and Frye now since they weren't tendered offers.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/196549.asp

Dec 3, 2005
Talk about not wasting any time, two hours into free agency and numerous reports say Nate Burleson signs a 5-year deal worth $25 million dollars, $11 million guaranteed with the Detroit Lions.

Feb 14, 2004
^Yup, I posted that in the NFL OFF SEASON TRANSACTIONS thread like right after it happened.

I think the Lions overpaid him. He's good, but not that good, especially being injury prone. Now only if the Hawks can get Brandon Marshall.

Dec 3, 2005
^Yup, I posted that in the NFL OFF SEASON TRANSACTIONS thread like right after it happened.

I think the Lions overpaid him. He's good, but not that good, especially being injury prone. Now only if the Hawks can get Brandon Marshall.
fuck brandon marshall youre trippin! negative props!

Aug 24, 2003
goddamn we lost burleson? not fuckin good

as much as i like him though its not a huge loss... hes average, we could find someone better. he left for money though, if burleson is out of here i want to see branch gone

Mar 16, 2005

you would rather have the baggage and big contract AND giving up the #6 overall pick for marshall, then rolling the dice and see what you can get at that pick

Oct 23, 2009
Im wondering if the Hawks do get Marshall if their draft priority will be a QB of the future since Hasselbeck isn't going to be around in a couple of years.

Mar 16, 2005
and even if he is worth the 6th pick from you guys do you all really want the wr with most dropped passes these past few years?? havent yo uall seen enough dropped balls?

Mar 16, 2005
man I come back from lunch and sure as shit sounds like its extremely close to being done..FUCK YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #6 AND #11 OVERALL, get rid of brandon marshall, trade those 2 picks for a shit load of talent and or picks or move up for suh which would be a tramdous upgrade to our team...wow. This offseason starting way better than last years.

May 9, 2002
and even if he is worth the 6th pick from you guys do you all really want the wr with most dropped passes these past few years?? havent yo uall seen enough dropped balls?
The way top 10 picks are demanding money these days? Yes. At least Marshall is proven. Fuck paying a rookie $40 million without playing a second on NFL soil. Thats complete and utter bullshit. See: Aaron Curry.

And this year, there aren't any real top 10 talents even CLOSE to sniffing that IMO. Especially for what we are looking for. OL can be got in the later rounds that will be good. QB's can be got in the mid rounds. Pretty much ANYONE can be got later.

Mar 16, 2005
The way top 10 picks are demanding money these days? Yes. At least Marshall is proven. Fuck paying a rookie $40 million without playing a second on NFL soil. Thats complete and utter bullshit. See: Aaron Curry.

And this year, there aren't any real top 10 talents even CLOSE to sniffing that IMO. Especially for what we are looking for. OL can be got in the later rounds that will be good. QB's can be got in the mid rounds. Pretty much ANYONE can be got later.
god I hope this goes through!!!!!! because im certain we wont be picking 2 first rounders much less both top 11 but the packaging you can do with those picks is insane.

I agree marshalls is immense but im glad he will be gone, wouldnt want to risk all that money and next thing yo uknow hes out for 8 - 16 games for some stupid shit.

Mar 16, 2005
I was hoping that Seattle would trade OUT of the top 10 for a 3rd rounder. But I can deal with Marshall for the 6th.
now my other question to you would be this.

How do you feel about hawks tying so much money up into 2 wrs who are bascially the same mold? Of course Marshall is better but him and whosyourmama are basically the same player in terms of what they bring.

Mar 16, 2005
JUST REPORTED HERE IN DENVER THAT JETS ARE ON THE HPONE OFFERING TRADE! I LEAVE WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR AND A HALF BUT WILL KEEP UPDATED IF i HEAR ANYTHING

May 9, 2002
now my other question to you would be this.

How do you feel about hawks tying so much money up into 2 wrs who are bascially the same mold? Of course Marshall is better but him and whosyourmama are basically the same player in terms of what they bring.
I disagree. Housh is a lifetime #2 WR and he proved that further last year with his very average performance. With no one really else to fosuc on in the WR corp, he was powerless. Bring in a proven #1 and all of the sudden Housh doesnt demand double teams anymore. Housh RAPED defenses in Cincy becuase of Ocho Cinco.