San Francisco's rap scene is dead.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Hood Rat Matt

aka Goodfella (since '02)
Oct 19, 2009
East Oakland (Hills)
thats true, but it's hard to find new local bay cats, if you are almost 6000miles away ;)
To your credit, I have noticed that European rap/hip-hop fans are generally a lot more informed about classic stuff than people who grew up in the States. A lot of them know the history all the way back to the roots. It shows a deeper interest and respect for the culture imo

Mar 28, 2006
Poland
i think it's because, for you its like everyday life. i mean, you see rydah/berner/awax/yuk etc etc show and you can be like 'meh maybe next time ill see them'. For us it like a holiday. Recently there were supposed to be DPG show in Poland. I was like fuckin rap gods are coming. I couldnt go there (i think show was cancelled anyway), but I was talking whole day to my wife about DPG, DAZ, Kurupt and so on. She was like 'the hell you talk to em about?' but I was hyped as hell

Hood Rat Matt

aka Goodfella (since '02)
Oct 19, 2009
East Oakland (Hills)
i think it's because, for you its like everyday life. i mean, you see rydah/berner/awax/yuk etc etc show and you can be like 'meh maybe next time ill see them'. For us it like a holiday. Recently there were supposed to be DPG show in Poland. I was like fuckin rap gods are coming. I couldnt go there (i think show was cancelled anyway), but I was talking whole day to my wife about DPG, DAZ, Kurupt and so on. She was like 'the hell you talk to em about?' but I was hyped as hell
artists are lucky to have fans like you

Sep 4, 2017
I never liked Berner, but it's cool he's doing well. It actually makes me kinda sad considering SF was such a force in rap back in the 90s. Like SF to me was even better than Oakland. Andre Nickatina is one of my favorites from the bay.

Jun 21, 2016
I never liked Berner, but it's cool he's doing well. It actually makes me kinda sad considering SF was such a force in rap back in the 90s. Like SF to me was even better than Oakland. Andre Nickatina is one of my favorites from the bay.
I think the Bay really needs to get behind Berner, he can help push upcoming artists too.

Apr 25, 2002
The problem with hip hop from all cities in the Bay is they lost the sound. People from LA, Midwest, Europe etc. don't want to hear Bay Artists doing mumble rap and southern music - they already know of rappers doing mumble rap and southern music. What made the Frisco and Bay rap scene so tight was it was a different sound and lyrically clever. So gentrification is to blame but artists and fans need to acknowledge the music coming out of the Bay isn't much different than what comes out of the regions or from rappers who are trend setters.