S.F. traffic stops show racial disparities

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
S.F. traffic stops show racial disparities
Blacks, Hispanics much more likely to be searched

Susan Sward, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 8, 2002
©2002 San Francisco Chronicle

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/05/08/MN244174.DTL

Blacks and Hispanics face a much greater chance than whites of being searched when they are stopped by San Francisco police officers, department figures show.

In a city known for its tolerance, African Americans are 3.5 times more likely than whites to be searched when stopped, and Hispanics are almost three times as likely to be searched.

Those are some of the findings in the Police Department's first look at the race of motorists stopped by police in San Francisco.

Police Chief Fred Lau acknowledged the data but said, "It's not the result of racial profiling. There are a lot of sociological factors involved, and it's a complicated issue.

"Our command staff is well represented by minorities and women, and racial profiling will not be tolerated," Lau said. "In San Francisco, citizens also can voice any concerns they have through the Office of Citizen Complaints, and I have also asked my officers to report back to me community sentiments about racial profiling."

The American Civil Liberties Union expressed concern about the data.

"The most troubling thing is the disparate search rates. That raises a real red flag," said Mark Schlosberg, an ACLU attorney specializing in police practices. When a person is stopped, "how the officer interacts with that person should have nothing to do with race."

SIMILAR FINDINGS ACROSS STATE

San Francisco's study comes after other examinations of metropolitan police departments in the state, including San Jose and Oakland, that also found racial groups were treated differently.

Steve Lutes, the department's longtime civilian analyst, looked at San Francisco's traffic stops from last summer through March. Last week, he shared with The Chronicle a summary of stops between July and September 2001, which he said generally reflected the trends he found:

-- Blacks are stopped at a rate almost twice their representation in the population. Although blacks make up 7.9 percent of San Francisco's 766,733 population, according to Census figures, they make up almost 15 percent of traffic stops by department officers.

-- Asians and Hispanics get stopped by police fewer times than their numbers in the city might indicate. With almost 31 percent of the population, Asians account for 17.8 percent of stops. Hispanics make up 14 percent of San Franciscans and 11.76 percent of stops. Whites, who constitute 44 percent of the population, make up 47.33 percent of traffic stops.

-- When motorists are stopped, searches are conducted on 13.71 percent of blacks, 11.3 percent of Hispanics, 3.94 percent of whites, and 1.68 percent of Asians.

-- Blacks are the least likely of any racial group in the city to be stopped for a moving violation. Blacks have the greatest chance, however, of being stopped and cited for mechanical or other nonmoving violations such as failure to have proper car registration tags.

-- Once motorists are stopped, an average of 2.88 percent of them end up being arrested for some violation. When blacks are stopped, 4.52 percent are arrested. Hispanics also exceed the average -- with 3.93 percent arrested after they are stopped. Only 2.62 percent of whites and 1.97 percent of Asians who are stopped are arrested.

FEWER DRIVERS, FEWER ARRESTS

Lutes, who has a doctorate in anthropology, said he believes that Asians and Hispanics are stopped less because they may drive cars less.

"Almost all whites and blacks grew up in the United States and are part of our car culture, but I suspect people who are recently arrived from outside the country may not own or drive cars at the same rate," he said.

Lutes said he is convinced that no systematic racial profiling exists in the department where 42 percent of officers are members of minority groups and 16 percent are female.

"I don't think this department would put up with it -- there's been a sea change within the department in the last 20 years as the department came more and more to look like the community it serves," Lutes said.

But he acknowledged that he findings pinpoint disparities in how different racial groups are stopped, searched and arrested.

"In a liberal, progressive city, why do you have these disparate numbers?" he asked. "These numbers seem to go beyond problems either with police or minority motorists -- reflecting multiple causes that are not that simple or easy to change," including unequal access to economic opportunities.

Lutes also noted that African Americans "are far more likely to be under some sort of court-supervised parole or probation conditions that tend to produce more searches."

"I can't say no officer has ever made a stop we might find objectionable," Lutes said. "But I think it would be very rare."

Lutes added that one uncertainty with his data is that there is no way of knowing how many of the motorists who are stopped are San Francisco residents and how many are commuters or visitors.

DISAGREEMENT ON RACE AS FACTOR

Schlosberg of the ACLU said he hopes to work with the department to strengthen its policy regarding racial profiling.

"The department's policy now only prohibits actions based solely on race, and very few officers do anything solely for one reason," he said. "The policy needs to be changed to prohibit use of race to any degree in determining who to stop, search and arrest except if there is a specific subject description broadcast in connection with a crime."

Inspector Sherman Ackerson, speaking for the Police Department, said his agency "clearly forbids stopping anyone solely due to race, but sometimes when looking at Asian, black or Hispanic gangs or skinheads, for example, race is a factor officers have to consider before stopping someone."

San Francisco's study of its traffic stop patterns comes after similar studies of other police agencies in the state.

In San Jose's latest survey -- December 2000 -- the department concluded that although blacks and Hispanics were stopped at slightly greater rates than their overall representation in the population, there were no grounds to conclude racial profiling was occurring in San Jose.

The department concluded that the racial differences in its data may be partly because of the fact that there tend to be more calls for police help in areas where minorities are concentrated -- prompting a higher number of officers in those areas who would be making traffic stops in their free time.

In Oakland, a traffic stop study is under way involving the Police Department, Rand, the NAACP and the ACLU.

The ACLU reported last year that African American motorists were three times more likely to be searched or be the subject of a traffic stops in Oakland than whites. Department spokesman George Phillips said the ACLU's announcement reflects only the first phase of a more comprehensive study "and without including the second phase, any finding is premature."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-mail Susan Sward at [email protected].

M

MrFreeze

Re: BAY.AREA.RACIAL.TALK. ** BART **

SHEA said:
BLAH BLAH BLAH.....WHITE.....BLAH BLAH BLAH.....BLACK....BLAH BLAH BLAH.....HISPANIC....BLAH BLAH BLAH WHA WHA WHA.

IS THIS A MUSIC BOARD OR IS THIS THE SPOT TO COME & TALK ABOUT RACIAL TENTIONS ON A FUCKING DAILY BASIS.

GET A NEW TRAIN OF THOUGHT FOR CHRIST SAKES!!!!!!!!!!

I GET PULLED OVER JUST AS MUCH, IF NOT MORE THEN ANYONE ELSE I FUCK WITH....FUCK THE CHRONICAL, FUCK A RACIAL TENTION, FUCK A RACIST, FUCK A COP, FUCK THE WORLD, FUCK ANYONE THAT OPPSES ME FOR MY WORD!!!!!!

SS
very true im white as fuck and i get pulled over alot and harrased too. i agree fuck the racial shit lets chop up some music-damn that new DE is tight as fuck huh?

May 5, 2002
Shea and Freeze yall sound real dumb right about now!

If u were black u'd be gettin pulled over alot more then lol look at the facts.. MEzz same ol' mentality these cats got

Black folks still have it the worse too and damn we dont out number any racial groups what kinda shit is that... I mean damn lol we only 13% of the Nations population

Just like my pops said
"...it wouldnt surprise me, white folks haven't really changed..."

M

MrFreeze

4fifteenRolla said:

If u were black u'd be gettin pulled over alot more then lol look at the facts.. MEzz same ol' mentality these cats got

Black folks still have it the worse too and damn we dont out number any racial groups what kinda shit is that... I mean damn lol we only 13% of the Nations population

Just like my pops said
look im not tryin to be insensitive but what is postin on this MUSIC board gonna do besides cause a bunch of tension between people who dont even know eachother. this just isnt the place for arguing racial stuff. i agree with you black probably do get pulled over more but what do you want me to do about it?

Apr 25, 2002
oh my bad i didn't mean to bring some REAL LIFE into the board, i'll stop & let BART get back to fake internet beefs between made-up aliases and EA

if people are tired of hearing about racism, maybe they should stop listening to rap music

M

MrFreeze

Mezzano said:
oh my bad i didn't mean to bring some REAL LIFE into the board, i'll stop & let BART get back to fake internet beefs between made-up aliases and EA

if people are tired of hearing about racism, maybe they should stop listening to rap music
takin this way too far man. no one here is racist but its depressing to hear about racism. i was just tryin to take this post in a positive direction about music. didnt mean to offend anyone or be disrespectful.

B

Bayluv

I told you haters Racism still exists. Racist Bastards

I am tired of this talk about moving on. We cant move on if the cops be stopping us all the time. Real Talk.

Dont even talk about Race doesnt matter.

Deep East Oakland

May 5, 2002
Shea I dont know why u want to act like there's no problem with racial profiling.. cuz in your eyes everyones gets pulled over.. but the fact is black folks get pulled over more 4 no reason

M

MrFreeze

4fifteenRolla said:
Shea I dont know why u want to act like there's no problem with racial profiling.. cuz in your eyes everyones gets pulled over.. but the fact is black folks get pulled over more 4 no reason
no ones sayin they dont but why post it up? theres nothing anyone on this board is gonna do about it and it creates tension and starts arguments. theres a time and place for eveything and right here right now aint it for this topic. no disrespect.

Apr 25, 2002
4fifteenRolla said:

Just like my pops said

Yes, a lot of white folks are the ones that say blah blah blah blah, because they aren't knowing. Folks are always trying to supress reality. Its says it right there in the article that Hispanics and African Americans get pulled over more but folks try to deny it.

M

MrFreeze

MrFreeze said:

no ones sayin they dont but why post it up? theres nothing anyone on this board is gonna do about it and it creates tension and starts arguments. theres a time and place for eveything and right here right now aint it for this topic. no disrespect.
^^^^^^^you see that? whos denyin it? all im sayin is why post it and bring the board down with all this negative shit. damn no ones saying it doesnt happen or its not fucked up but whats postin it gonna do besides start problems.

Apr 25, 2002
MrFreeze said:

Its actually really good knowledge, a lot of folks aren't knowing how black and hispanic folks are being treated by the law. But I do agree it belongs in the gathering of mind forum....

((((((***Good Article Mezzano***)))))

Adds more fuel to my arguments...

Apr 25, 2002
MrFreeze said:

^^^^^^^you see that? whos denyin it?
I wasn't addressing you, if I did I would've said Mr. Freeze and quoted your post.. But I was just talking in general, I hear white folks deny things black folks go through. They don't believe it...

M

MrFreeze

all good west. i can see how it would feel to be treated different just for being a different color and thats fuckin weak. i hope you all know i think thats fucked up and i would never endorse any racism.

Apr 26, 2002
www.PROJECTAFFILIATED.com
the more who know and speak the better--->people dont want 2 hear it cuz it is hard 2 hear bout shit BUT that doesnt mean that it doesnt go on>>>>u never know if one of these youngsta's will grow up 2 be a po and they can be aware of it

********KEEP POSTING THIS SHIT MEZZ**********
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Apr 25, 2002
all that study shows is what we've known all along
there's racial profiling and it's wrong
YES
we all know that mezzano
but shea and freeze are right
THERE IS AN OPEN BOARD
post that there....
you see how the BARRY BONds post got moved to sports?
that's cus it wasn't about bay area rap!!!

now call me a racist and i'll kill you lol kidding nah i'm not lol nah i'm kidding lol nah i'm not

whatever
it don't matter
but for real
use the open forum
that's all