Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Which Game is Better?

• Total voters
Oct 16, 2006
mylot.com
Which one do you think is the better game and why? Just a simple matter of opinion, no one needs to have an "e-bass" smashed over their head because of this. Please explain why you like __________ more than __________.

vs.

Oct 16, 2006
mylot.com
I don't have either one, so based off the one time I played each, I have to go with Rock Band. It was just more fun and interactive than Guitar Hero to me and looked better. I don't know if that had to do with me playing Rock Band on my friend's XBOX 360 elite and Guitar Hero on the Wii, but Rock Band was just more fun. R.B. also holds a special place in my heart because it took my "guitar-game" virginity.

Mar 22, 2004
rockband is boring.. I don't like the buttons on the guitar, I don't really like the songs either at all. If you aint got 2 other fools at your spot that wanna play it's hella boring playing solo.

I like Guitar hero better even tho I suck. I beat GH2 on hard, but can't fuck with expert. I'm stuck on two songs on hard on GH3 I can't seem to beat.

oh yeah, and my drums got the slightest bit of lag that fuck me up on RB. I tried to fix it with the calibration thing, but it still kinda sucks.

Oct 16, 2006
mylot.com
As far as song choices, I expect Guitar Hero to be better, since Rock Band is more of a party game. I was mad tho, bc I played Guitar Hero Legends and they didn't have my idol, Jimi Hendrix. I was thinking about burning her guitar and humping it in honor of Jimi.

Apr 19, 2006
rock band beats guitar hero, i own rock abdn and besides the guitar flaw that came with all first issue guitars (that can easily be fixed) ive had no problems and its hella fun, the guitar on the rock band loks better than any of the guitar that ever came out for guitar hero. and im not even gonna go into the drums and mic part since guitar hero doesnt have those.
also if you donty like the songs that come in rock band you can always buy new songs from the internet for 99 cents each

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
DENVER (Billboard) - In the two months since MTV Networks and Harmonix released the music-based videogame "Rock Band," players have purchased and downloaded more than 2.5 million additional songs made available after the game's initial distribution. Activision, meanwhile, said it has sold more than 5 million new songs via download for "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock" since it began adding downloadable content in early November.

By comparison, it took wireless operator Sprint four months to sell 1 million songs on its over-the-air full-song download service. While new digital music services competing with iTunes and free peer-to-peer services have struggled to convince music fans to pay $1 for a single, downloadable tracks for games like "Rock Band" and "Guitar Hero" are flying off the digital shelves.

"With such a low installation base, we didn't think that there'd be 2 million songs sold in eight weeks," MTVN Music Group/Logo/Films division president Van Toffler said. "We live in a rough time around music where our audience struggles to pay $20 for a CD but don't hesitate to pay $50 for a game. The notion to pay 99 cents or $1.99 to have a song and repeatedly play with it apparently isn't a big hurdle."

The original "Rock Band" and "Guitar Hero" games shipped with more than 50 licensed songs each, a mix of master recordings and covers. Since then, "Rock Band" has made new music available every week as either singles or in three-pack bundles that can be added as new playable levels for between 99 cents and $5.50. "Guitar Hero III" did the same, focusing on three-song bundles of new music and music featured in previous versions of the game.

Although MTV is not providing specific numbers, it did say that the majority of the downloaded songs were purchased by Xbox 360 as opposed to PlayStation 3 users. According to the NPD Group, "Rock Band" sold 775,000 copies for the Xbox 360 through the end of 2007, compared with 250,000 on the PS3.

METALLICA SHINES

The game's impact on song sales for participating artists, however, remains unclear. While not providing exact sales figures, MTV did say that the Metallica three-pack of "Ride the Lightning," "Blackened" and "And Justice for All" is the best-selling "Rock Band" download.

According to Nielsen SoundScan data, those same songs saw digital download sales spikes of 31 percent, 39 percent and 48 percent, respectively, for the month after they were featured as a "Rock Band" download, over the previous month.

But those increased sales numbered only in the hundreds, while the "Rock Band" downloads numbered in the hundreds of thousands. Still, label executives are thrilled with the results.

MTVN already has plans to expand its outreach to artists, creating additional game expansions -- as both physical products and downloadable content -- around specific music genres and even artists.

"We are talking to tons of bands, from indie to the most established ... to release not necessarily their entire catalog, but maybe some of their classic albums and do special packages around that," Toffler said.

What's more, there's no reason for "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band" to be the only videogames that sell music. It's only a matter of time before other games begin offering new downloadable soundtracks as well.

Titles like the "Madden" football series, the Tony Hawk skateboarding franchise and the venerable "Grand Theft Auto" games are well known for their extensive soundtracks. Offering gamers the ability to replace their soundtracks every few months after the initial release is not only technically possible with today's new-generation consoles, but also on the horizon.

"That's certainly something we're interested in," Electronic Arts worldwide head of music Steve Schnur said earlier this month at the Consumer Electronics Show.

Reuters/Billboard

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I like voting in polls :)

I only played the demos in the stores.....I like guitar hero, I wanna get that shit but its expensive......I also like the fact that you can play bass with rock band....I haven't fucked with any of the other instruments tho

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
let me just start by saying if you bought rock band to play by yourself and expect it to compare to guitar hero 3...you are an idiot. this game was made to play with 2 or more people. if you arent doing that,you arent going to get what you want out of this game. i am basing my arguements on that. not guitar game vs. guitar game...rock band wasnt made for that...with that said

rock band blows guitar hero out of the water

one of my main reasons is the DLC(downloads).every week i can count on 3 new songs being in my DLC to download. my song list on rock band is over 100 songs right now and growing. they even put them into career mode for you and actually give you credit and money for playing them. unlike in GH where you dont get shit for them.with them having full albums for download soon,it puts that better songlist argument to rest.rock band has been out how long? look at this list of shit you can buy already:

Metallica "Ride the Lightning"
Metallica "Blackened"
Metallica "And Justice for All"
Police "Can't Stand Losing You"
Police "Synchronicity II"
Police "Roxanne"
Queens of the Stone Age "3's and 7's"
Queens of the Stone Age "Little Sister"
Queens of the Stone Age "Sick Sick Sick"
Creedence Clearwater "Fortunate Son"*
Foreigner "Juke Box Hero"*
T-Rex "Band a Gong (Get It On)"*
The Knack "My Sharona"*
The Runaways "Cherry Bomb"*
Wolfmother "Joker & The Thief"
David Bowie "Moonage Daydream"
David Bowie "Heroes"*
David Bowie "Queen Bitch"*
Black Sabbath "N.I.B."*
Black Sabbath "Sweet Leaf"*
Black Sabbath "War Pigs"*
Ramones "Rockaway Beach"
The Clash "I Fought the Law"
Buzzcocks "Ever Fallen in Love"*
Radiohead "My Iron Lung"
Weezer "Buddy Holly"
The Pretenders "Brass in Pocket"*
30 Seconds to Mars "Attack"
30 Seconds to Mars "The Kill"
All-American Rejects "Dirty Little Secret"
All-American Rejects "Move Along"
The Sounds "Song with a Mission"
Lynyrd Skynyrd "Gimme Three Steps"
Black Crowes "Hard to Handle"*
Rush "Limelight"*
The Hives "Die Right Now"
Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast"*
Stone Temple Pilots "Interstate Love Song"
This Week's Additions
Sweet "Action"*
The Monkees "Last Train to Clarksville"*
Blink 182 "All the Small Things"

another thing is that the guitar hero 3 offers NOTHING new that GH2 didnt. with that same tired ass notepad setlist,where you progress one tier at a time,that shit is played out,they need to revamp that shit. if anything they made it worse. with that horrendous idea for a battle system,and them making the notes way too easy to hit. i mean,you dont have to even be close to hit notes in that damn game. think i failed one song on expert my whole way through. no challenge whatsoever. had no reason to keep playing that game after maybe 2 weeks. i guess that is why more beginners like it,cause its so damn easy,but i wasnt satisfied

on the weekends when i got people over and we break it out to play,EVERYBODY wants to play. guy,girls,young,old,doesnt matter. they all have fun with it.guitar hero doesnt nearly have that effect.

but even with all the party shit aside. i would of paid the 180 bucks just for the drums,no shit. dont even touch the guitar when people arent around. just play nothing but drums.fun as fuck

guitar hero is great,was hooked on that game the last 4 years of my damn life,but GH3 killed that,then rock band put the nail in the coffin

Jan 31, 2006
rock band by far is so much better. even though some songs are whatever i just love that you can play with different things. drums > guitar > mic