Riddle me this

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
Because genres are defined by their style of play moreso than lyrical content, and style of music really has nothing to do with Christianity because the religion is about ideas.

Though lyrical themes may help define a genre, they are not the end-all definition.

May 9, 2002
RedStorm said:
Because genres are defined by their style of play moreso than lyrical content, and style of music really has nothing to do with Christianity because the religion is about ideas.

Though lyrical themes may help define a genre, they are not the end-all definition.
OK, but if its labeled "Christian" anything, then they are referring to the LYRICS, not the music. Sb-genre's of music are supposed to define lyrical content, otherwise everything would just be "metal", or "hip-hop". The reason gangsta rap is called so, is due to its lyrics...not so much the beats. See what im getting at?

Death metal has morbid, death and even murder as lyrics. Black metal speaks of devil or pagan. These are both sub-genres of speed metal, metalcore, heavy metal and so fourth.

Apr 8, 2005
ive never heard a gangsta track on a feel good type soulful beat, and ive never heard a type of rock defined by its lyrics, because it varys

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Sub-genre names don't neccissarily define lyric content. Math Rock, Grindcore, etc has nothing to do with the lyrics in the music. I do get what you are saying though. But there are "Christian" rock bands like Norma Jean, The Chariot, Hopesfall (old), etc who's lyrics have little to nothing to do with being Christians. I guess they are more like Christians who just happen to be in bands though.

Dec 17, 2005
Jesse fuckin' Rice said:
OK, but if its labeled "Christian" anything, then they are referring to the LYRICS, not the music. Sb-genre's of music are supposed to define lyrical content, otherwise everything would just be "metal", or "hip-hop". The reason gangsta rap is called so, is due to its lyrics...not so much the beats. See what im getting at?

Death metal has morbid, death and even murder as lyrics. Black metal speaks of devil or pagan. These are both sub-genres of speed metal, metalcore, heavy metal and so fourth.
I think it would be a mistake to use the same criteria used for Hip Hop for Metal.... And that's not even to say that a lot of rap subgenres are defined as much by their sound as lyrical content. Miami Bass, Screw Music, Trip Hop, Bounce, G-Funk etc. could all be seen as sub-genres of rap (kind of, there are probably better examples if I really thought about it) defined by the music moreso than lyrics.

May 9, 2002
Ijust think the term "sub-genre" is so murky that to the naked eye, you expect a certain sound. I think they need to reconstruct the way music is catergorized so that there is confusion to the consumer. What would be a good system in doing so?

May 9, 2002
Jake said:
its not like it was called "satanic metal"

death is in everything,even religion.
No, but death metal also includes murder...

"Death metal lyrics usually address more violent themes than other forms of metal music (with a few exceptions such as Satanism and Nihilism), often using gruesome metaphors to explore a larger concept[citation needed]. It also involves singing about necrophilia, torture or murder. The genre, originally an offshoot of thrash metal, was established to celebrate the darker underlying ideas that lay dormant in metal music. The focus on mortality along with the extreme nature of the music likely inspired the naming of this genre"

^^doesnt sound very "Chirstian" to me...all though god kills a ridiculous amount of people in the bible, so maybe its fitting?

May 9, 2002
smallski61916 said:
So there's no such thing as "horrorcore metal"???
Been wonderin about that for eons......
Well, there is death/doom which is sort of that kind of stuff. There is horrorpunk, as branded by the Misfits. Also, psychobilly. But these are more like horror movie and halloween shit...borderline funny and goofy. Glenn Danzig's second band, Samhain, did more death rock, which wasnt as cartoonish as the Misfits.

Bands tend to make up their own genre when its experimental. For example, Horse The Band calls there musci Nintendocore, due to the fact they use the same keyboard , the Korg MS-2000, as all all the music made for the games on NES. There shit is really dope, you should peep them out if you get a chance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_the_band

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Haha, Underoath? I'll admit it, I like their music. They look like fags though, well the one on the bottom right does. The rest look pretty normal.

There was one band that had a photo where EVERYONE in the band looked like a scene poser. I'll see if I can find the pic, it's pretty fucking funny.