Rick Rock Beat - Angie Martinez/Tony Hardtimes

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
In 2002, Angie Martinez got play with a single "If I Could Go" w/Sacrio produced by Rick Rock:

The beat was also used on the Watch Out Now mixtape by a guy named Tony Hardtimes doing a song called Blame over it... In the intro they seem to imply that this was his beat first:

See, if you know about that 916 Sacramento history, you would know that this was our shit right here.
This is the song:

Does anyone know the story behind this, did Angie use the beat after someone else did?

Also, is there anything else Tony Hardtimes did? Searching here just brings up posts about the Hard Times ban forum. I think all I ever heard this dude on was this mixtape... He had one of the best songs, if not the best song on the mixtape (and that's no small feat, the whole thing knocked,) and I don't think I ever heard of him again.

Apr 25, 2002
well it definitely sounds better without Angie Martinez.. this mixtape came out in 2003, her album came out in 2002. i wana get this mixtape now
Yeah, this mixtape definitely came out later, but the way they talked in the intro makes it seem like maybe it was only released locally or something before the mixtape or Angie's album came out...

I saw this mixtape for $4.00 when I was looking up Tony Hardtimes.

This is another dude that was on it that I don't think I ever heard of again spitting over Jay-Z's Squeeze First...

Last edited:
May 31, 2006
Yeah, this mixtape definitely came out later, but the way they talked in the intro makes it seem like maybe it was only released locally or something before the mixtape or Angie's album came out...

I saw this mixtape for $4.00 when I was looking up Tony Hardtimes.

This is another dude that was on it that I don't think I ever heard of again spitting over Jay-Z's Squeeze First...

i think that guy Seam was on a Balance mixtape or album as well.. that youtube user has some good songs

Apr 25, 2002
Tony Hardtimes aka David Perkins was a local rapper from the P and was killed! He had BARS, I went to Valley High with him! But Tony Hardtimes has a mixtape floating around the hoods of south sac but dumb ass hard to get!
Damn, sad to hear... Thanks for the update, though. I'll have to see if I can find that as a download somewhere, dude was talented.

C-4

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
I think DUTCH-F.E @DUTCH-F.E can shed some light on this

That "Watch Out Now" Mixtape dropped when the New Bay was just getting started. Balance, The Team, The Federation, Frontline, etc.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
Not sure what the question is, but We had access to dumb amounts of Rick Rock beats. Wehad remixes to shit that was out and it probably was a case of us burning a 2 track to a famous rick rock beat and rappin over it. My cousin is Bootz who was the guy putting together the Watchout now mixtape... I put Balance mr kee and frontline on the mixtape.

Apr 25, 2002
Not sure what the question is, but We had access to dumb amounts of Rick Rock beats. Wehad remixes to shit that was out and it probably was a case of us burning a 2 track to a famous rick rock beat and rappin over it. My cousin is Bootz who was the guy putting together the Watchout now mixtape... I put Balance mr kee and frontline on the mixtape.
I was trying to find out if the beat Angie Martinez used was originally Tony Hardtimes' beat and if it was released locally before Angie got the beat... Whoever is talking in the intro (I think it's Bootz,) seems to be implying that it was.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
Im sure there is substance to that. I was at rick rock house when he got the call that jay z was buying beats for the doc la families album. Shit to keep it solid marvalous and keak da sneak rapped on several BIG hit records at rick house be for they were sold to main stream artists. I havent heard the song you are referencing in years... but what you are implying could be true. Ill listen tomorrow and see if I remember.

Apr 25, 2002
Im sure there is substance to that. I was at rick rock house when he got the call that jay z was buying beats for the doc la families album. Shit to keep it solid marvalous and keak da sneak rapped on several BIG hit records at rick house be for they were sold to main stream artists. I havent heard the song you are referencing in years... but what you are implying could be true. Ill listen tomorrow and see if I remember.
Any chance you remember which of Rick's mainstream hits Keak and Marvaless (or any other Bay rappers) had previously used?

Thanks for the response, I've always wondered about that since I heard the mixtape, but didn't think to post about it until I saw the "Whatever happened to..." thread.

May 31, 2006
yea he has so many credits for producing its crazy, other artist besides the ones mentioned and bay area: Mystikal, Ray Cash, Erick Sermon, RL from Next, Bad Seed, Eldorado Red, Rass Kass, and many more