Review of Big Hutch - Live From the Ghetto

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 25, 2003
When I first heard about a new Big Hutch solo album in 1999 - I damn near pissed myself.

"Finally," I eagerly anticipated, "I will hear a great Above the Law album without KMG's fucked up garbage 1981 flow. With great production."

You see, I knew like a lot of underground Ruthless fans still know that Above the Law are co-founders of G-Funk along with Dr. Dre. Above the Law coached the raw, unpolished Bone Thugs & Harmony and gave them a sing-songy R&B flavor to help them set the world on fire. "Never Missin a Beat" and "Pimp Clinic" were completed and mixed long before "Let Me Ride" and "Fuckin wit Dre Day" hit the light of day.

As a matter of fact up until 1995 - Cold187um had, in my opinion, matched Dre's powerful production. I would take Black Mafia Life over the Chronic, and I would take Uncle Sam's Curse over Doggystyle. Personal preference of course.

1999 came and went with a whimper. Hutch didn't even produce his own debut album and it was weak. He hired a bunch of east coast wannabe producers and the results were just as you'd expect. Hutch just didn't sound right over them.

And we won't even TALK about "Forever Rich Thugs." ::shudders::

Hutch was signed to Death Row and held the label down when it needed it most. He kept the mixes nice and even, and resurrected some shitty Snoop Dogg tracks on "Dead Man Walkin'"

Now comes Live From the Ghetto. BOY WHAT A FUCKIN DISAPPOINTMENT. Makaveli said it best: "All you old rappers it's all over now take it like a man. Niggas lookin like Larry Holmes all flabby and sick." Hutch is getting a blowjob from a white woman in his advertisement - but you don't see her face. You'd have to wonder after hearing this album just a little bit if that woman wasn't a fuckin man.

The production is fuckin TERRIBLE!!! I was relieved Hutch was returning behind the trackboard. I'm really wondering if this is the same Hutch who produced "Uncle Sam's Curse." ALL of the fuckin Drums, Basses, and instruments come from the Triton. HE EVEN USES THOSE GOD AWFUL METAL GUITARS!!! EAT A DICK.

Lyricallly, Hutch is trying to resurrect his career by being east coast. Slowing down his flow, making his voice squeak (see Jay-Z, Foxy Brown, Lloyd Banks). Sometimes I would turn the album off and run outside to see if someone had run over a gaggle of geese. No, it was just his voice honking away. His punchlines are trash - and none of the tracks really have any relevance. No great stories, no great rider tracks. Just punchlines. Yet another reason why I hate the current state of hip hop.

Engineering is horse shit - nothing but mids. He forgot to put reverb or compress most of his vocal tracks. Sounds like a fuckin 4 track - except most 4 tracks come with automatic reverb. This shit sounds like he bootlegged Acid and recorded everything through an 8bit soundblaster and left it that way. EAT A DICK.

I'll give it a ONE - 1/100 just because if you go through all the punchlines on the album -you might come up with ONE single good song.

Lyrics: 1
Beats: -10
Mix: -8 billion.
Overall: Not only shitty, but ACTIVELY OFFENSIVE TO THE LISTENER. ANOTHER FUCKING FAILURE...RETIRE NOW YOU SON OF A BITCH - STOP MAKING ME SORRY TO ADMIT I'M AN ABOVE THE LAW FAN.

Sep 3, 2002
Thanks for the info and opinion, even though it casts another dark cloud over my hope for Westcoast rap.

but When I heard those snippets I knew I wouldn't be getting this one.

lord have mercy.

NEMO

SICCNESS MOGUL
Jan 5, 2003
WWW.SICCNESS.NET
RaginHomosexual said:
Overall: Not only shitty, but ACTIVELY OFFENSIVE TO THE LISTENER. ANOTHER FUCKING FAILURE...RETIRE NOW YOU SON OF A BITCH - STOP MAKING ME SORRY TO ADMIT I'M AN ABOVE THE LAW FAN.
WOW!

May 11, 2002
RaginHomosexual said:
When I first heard about a new Big Hutch solo album in 1999 - I damn near pissed myself.

"Finally," I eagerly anticipated, "I will hear a great Above the Law album without KMG's fucked up garbage 1981 flow. With great production."

You see, I knew like a lot of underground Ruthless fans still know that Above the Law are co-founders of G-Funk along with Dr. Dre. Above the Law coached the raw, unpolished Bone Thugs & Harmony and gave them a sing-songy R&B flavor to help them set the world on fire. "Never Missin a Beat" and "Pimp Clinic" were completed and mixed long before "Let Me Ride" and "Fuckin wit Dre Day" hit the light of day.

As a matter of fact up until 1995 - Cold187um had, in my opinion, matched Dre's powerful production. I would take Black Mafia Life over the Chronic, and I would take Uncle Sam's Curse over Doggystyle. Personal preference of course.

1999 came and went with a whimper. Hutch didn't even produce his own debut album and it was weak. He hired a bunch of east coast wannabe producers and the results were just as you'd expect. Hutch just didn't sound right over them.

And we won't even TALK about "Forever Rich Thugs." ::shudders::

Hutch was signed to Death Row and held the label down when it needed it most. He kept the mixes nice and even, and resurrected some shitty Snoop Dogg tracks on "Dead Man Walkin'"

Now comes Live From the Ghetto. BOY WHAT A FUCKIN DISAPPOINTMENT. Makaveli said it best: "All you old rappers it's all over now take it like a man. Niggas lookin like Larry Holmes all flabby and sick." Hutch is getting a blowjob from a white woman in his advertisement - but you don't see her face. You'd have to wonder after hearing this album just a little bit if that woman wasn't a fuckin man.

The production is fuckin TERRIBLE!!! I was relieved Hutch was returning behind the trackboard. I'm really wondering if this is the same Hutch who produced "Uncle Sam's Curse." ALL of the fuckin Drums, Basses, and instruments come from the Triton. HE EVEN USES THOSE GOD AWFUL METAL GUITARS!!! EAT A DICK.

Lyricallly, Hutch is trying to resurrect his career by being east coast. Slowing down his flow, making his voice squeak (see Jay-Z, Foxy Brown, Lloyd Banks). Sometimes I would turn the album off and run outside to see if someone had run over a gaggle of geese. No, it was just his voice honking away. His punchlines are trash - and none of the tracks really have any relevance. No great stories, no great rider tracks. Just punchlines. Yet another reason why I hate the current state of hip hop.

Engineering is horse shit - nothing but mids. He forgot to put reverb or compress most of his vocal tracks. Sounds like a fuckin 4 track - except most 4 tracks come with automatic reverb. This shit sounds like he bootlegged Acid and recorded everything through an 8bit soundblaster and left it that way. EAT A DICK.

I'll give it a ONE - 1/100 just because if you go through all the punchlines on the album -you might come up with ONE single good song.

You have a real good point here....This was one of the worst Above The Law/Big Hutch LP's. I didn't think it was that bad as you put it. It was a real BIG disappointment to me because I was damn excited about a new Hutch LP. ATL has always been one of my favorite groups. I agree w/you about Black Mafia Life over The Chronic and Uncle Sams Curse over Doggystyle. I don't know what Hutch was trying to do on this LP, It seems that he is trying to match the Main Stream sound. He has totally left his style of production. I suggest he returns to his roots for the next Above The Law LP.

I thought "Executive Decisions" and "Forever Rich Thugs Book 1" were classic LP's. I like his outside production on "Executive Decisions". But "Live From The Ghetto" is a disappointment to any Above The Law fan. I just hope the next release is more like the old ATL.

MB3

Sicc OG
Aug 26, 2002
all i can say is that I was also very disappointed about the new Big hutch album. I also didn't like the way his voice sounded on the album.

May 21, 2002
yea agreed

it was a waste of my time as well

the beats were horrible, i didnt like how he had this kinda pimpin flow on 1 track and a shouting style on another, seemed weird on the same album.

Dec 15, 2003
I am highly dissappointed in this album. I'm about as big an ATL/Big Hutch fan that there is but this shit is unacceptable. Where has the production gone? And Hutch's delivery is horrible. On some tracks he ain't even on beat. Sounds like he was rappin to some other shit.

May 6, 2002
I like this cd. The only song I really didn't like was the song with the Curtis Mayfield sample. He just didn't flow right with this song.