Renz Julian Xplosive Magazine Interview

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 27, 2005

Bay Area-For the last three years Renz Julian has been making noise in the Bay Area. He's had singles played on the radio, sold thousands of units. So why isn't he known like some of your favorite rappers?

"I've had three singles that have recieved national and international radio play. The first was "Clap, Clap" featuring Clyde Carson. The song was premiered on my mixtape 2 the League,with DJ Cali, and then was placed on the Bay Bidness mixtape with DJ Whoo Kid of G-Unit and DJ E-Rock of Shadyville DJ's/Sick wid it Records. That let to me linking up with E-Rock to release the Legal Crack mixtape which moved 30,000 units online and in the streets. My current single "Pop n Lock" featuring E-40 and Twista (produced by Collipark Music)is also getting spins on 106.1 KMEL San Francisco and other stations around the country as we speak."

Your new album is called "Armageddon". Why did you call it that?

"I feel like thats where we're headed with the way things are going in our communities and in these streets. The younger generation needs to hear rappers that address real issues. In hip hop these days its sad that catchy ignorance is praised while real niggas with a real message get overlooked. I grew up in a single parent home heavily affected by the crack epidemic of the 80's."

"I been on my own since an early teen so I'm speaking from a perspective that a lot of inner city youth can relate to. I've hustled and did things I had to do to survive, but there's more to it than that."

"Our youth need translation for all the negative images that are being marketed to them by the government owned media which trickles down through every outlet and affects people for generations."

I see you did a song with E-40 and Twista. How did that happen and why?
"I had to come with a song that would get attention for the album. My management team at FOD Entertainment hooked up the connect with the Collipark track. Then after laying my verse, we just thought about who would sound good to go along with me on the verses. 40 and Twista were the first to come to mind and I have nothing but respect for them as legends in the game."

"So we made a few phone calls and made it happen. This is a cool joint for the radio and clubs or whatever, but most of the album is on some deep darker street lyrical type shit, which I'm more accustomed to." Other singles on the album are "Friday Night Lights" featuring Big Rich and Dem Hoodstars and "Customer".

You've been one of those artists that have the talent to make it. Why do you think the industry (Majors) hasn't picked you up yet?
"I guess there's a stigma that comes with being from the Bay. They are afraid to fuck with us right now for some reason. Either way, I think with technology being where its at, its better to be an independent CEO of your own company anyway. That way you own what you create and keep it forever. With the internet you can promote on a major scale reaching millions and get a buzz poppin' off, although you still gotta keep the streets on lock by forming your own street teams and grindin' it out."

"At the end of the day all the checks come back to the label, which is me. On a major you may get an advance, but you gotta break bread with hella people before you even see a penny off of the cd sales, which are down these days. On top of that you can get shelved on a major, which can kill your buzz and get you dropped right back where they found you in the hood."

Your a CEO as well as a rapper. How do you juggle being both, and is it hard to wear both hats?

"I'm just blessed with the talent to pull it off, but if also comes with a lot of hard work. Keep a solid team of real business minded people, and supportive potnas around you. Another important thing is to get rid of unloyal niggas and dead weight people that really aint your friends. Focusing in on the goal and doing me got me a lot further."

How do people check out your music?

Go to my official website at www.renzjulian.com or official myspace at www.myspace.com/renzjulian. The album "Armageddon" from FOD Ent./City Hall Records is in stores now and you can get it online on iTunes, Amazon.com, Rapbay.com, and many other locations.

Story by Mr. Ceza, Xplosive Magazine