refurbished products (specifically ipods)???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 16, 2005
hmm.. so recently i've been really thinking bout buying an ipod. mostly because this forum convinced me with all the ipod this ipod that haha.

i'm tryna get a 4th generation, 40gb ipod with all the original accessories that's supposed to come with it (yes the plain one) cause it's huge enough so i don't gotta keep deleting/adding songs. the only thing is that they discontinued this model back in 2005 and apple only sells the small 20gb ones.. (mini/nano/shuffles are too small of a harddrive and videos are too expensive, and i'm cool with the original one)

i found a cool one ('excellent condition' blahblah) on craigslist for $200 that seems pretty convincing and i can actually check it out in person. but i also checked out a lot on ebay.. and damn they're cheap!! they go for around 100 only. but most of them are refurbished, and most of them are from the same few sellers who seem to be shitting out ipods here and there cause they got so many thats out being sold.. i checked out their past and current auctions.. seems legit but wtf, where are they getting them haha i'm guessing they bought it hella cheap or they straight jacked them haha but anyways.. to the main question...

anyone every fuck with BUYING refurbished ipods (not getting it replaced by apple) or other products? whats your opinion on them? any problems?? ya think i should save 100 bucks and buy one off ebay that says like new and veryyy minor wear conditions, or 'brand new' because they're refurbished???????

thank you veryyyyyy much in advance

Jan 30, 2004
you can buy refurbs off apples own online store (where the red tag that says SALE on it is) and they carry apples 1 year warranty. i bought my computer off there and everything was good as new.

Aug 20, 2004
All refurbished means is that the product was defective from the facotry...they sent it BACK to the factory...they fixed it...and sent it back...so in other words its BRAND NEW...

I bought my PS2 refurbished...and it worked fine....

Nov 16, 2005
i'm worried now after what rose town ryda said.. hahah but yeah i understand what refurbished is, and i'll probably trust bigger companies and actual stores.. but ebay from random people??!....... hmmm i dunno. i'm probably gonna just take the safe route and buy the craigslist one this weekend.. thanks for the replies, any other suggestions?

Jun 5, 2004
i take that back, i guess it just depends what you buy

i dont know shit about i-pods, but i have 2 friends who bought refurbs, one of them had some sony x-plod speakers, and they got fucked up, i forget what else, but i bought a subwoofer refurbished off ubid. com and it blew right after the month warranty.

Jun 5, 2004
@ that reminds me, i have an ipod, i dont know what kind it is, all i know is its big. it works though. hit me up with a offer if you want to buy it. it has some mexican person's name engraved on the metal part, but just scratch it out, lol.