Rap Today.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

MJT

Feb 1, 2005
As I am listening to old school artists, Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross to name a few. I wonder about the musicality of today's beats. Of course this goes beyond these artists I've mentioned, but has anyone realized the amount of sampling that is used today?

I know sampling is a part of production and beat making, but why? I mean I am not one to knock another niggaz accomplishments but people sample music like it's their own. Havn't you noticed this trend? Sure past artists may get a small recognition in the cd cover that no one pays attention to... I admitt that I am not that far introduced into the old school funk/soul era. My music preference today is rap/old school now. It use to be almost exclusively rap but now as I discover the works of old school artists and revisit the music I was exposed to as a child, it's like damn.

Niggas don't be knowin'. I mean the artists of the past don't get the credit that they deserve. It's not just the artists, but the musicians that provided the rhythm that accompanied them. Rap is Rhythm and Poetry. I think the essence of poetry stands stronger than ever. however the standard of rhythm is not met by the skills of yesterday.

just some food for thought. what are your opinions?

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
"I know sampling is a part of production and beat making, but why?"---you need a hip hop history lesson if you cant answer this on your own.

actually people sample less now then they did in the past...rap producers are starting to pick up instruments and incorperate that into their beats. think about it...how many songs have your heard on the radio lately using middle eastern and asia musical scales. rap production is getting more musical...which is both a blessing and a curse at the same time

and when producers sample older artist the average rap consumer may not pay attention to it but the older artist shouldn't complain much because he will be getting a check in the mail.

you cannot compare soul/old school r&b music to rap music. both genres have different emphasis musically.

Dec 18, 2002
WHY NOT SAMPLE??

When you sample from somewhere, youre takin the essence and feeling of that music and fusing it with hip-hop, without sampling most beats would be drum n bass shit...