RACE AND RAP: DOES DIVERSITY IN THE BAY HOLD US BACK?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DOES THE RACIAL MAKEUP OF THE BAY HOLD US BACK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

W6C

May 19, 2002
Let me ask everyone a question... If I loved something more than anything else in life, and dedicated my life to it, lived it and breathed it... would I EVER let you tell me that it's yours, and not mine?

The answer is F**K NO

Nov 7, 2005
DUTCH-F.E said:
. i dont care how you cut the cake buddy, rick rubin is whiter than me! white people were involved with hip hop all the way back in the 80's get over it.
never said that they were not. but don't overstate rick rubin to make your point. he helped during the formative years, but left in the eighties and dissed it and turned his back on it. he left when he could not exploit it anymore.lyor cohen stayed during the hard times and helped build itinto what it is today. lyor cohen and russell simmons are more important to the history than rubin. because they never left! they count more than a dude who bailed in 87.

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
W6C said:
Let me ask everyone a question... If I loved something more than anything else in life, and dedicated my life to it, lived it and breathed it... would I EVER let you tell me that it's yours, and not mine?

The answer is F**K NO
NO SHIT! Nobody can tell me a damn thing when it comes to rap. People like me, who have been doing it since we were 11, should qualify as legit fuckin rap artists. That's more than half my life of writin' and spittin'...and it's not like I picked up a pen when I was 17 or 18 and decided to be a rapper...I eat, sleep, breathe and shit this music...and have done so since Elementary school.

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
DUTCH-F.E said:
pharoah, just do this. make a real record, drop it and when it flops blame the white kids who didnt buy it.
Real spit. If a record flops, that's why.

So, a lot of people seem to think white folks should stay away from rap and leave it to the creators. Why don't you cats tell white people to stop buying it, too? Tell the white teenagers in the burbs to quit buying it also, 'cause it's "black music". See how long rap lasts after that happens.

If you can make music that people can feel, fuck the folks who think it's only for one ethnicity.

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
its funny, people say "whites wernt there when it started" even know thats false (rick rubin came up with the whole idea of def jam), but the fact is pharoah you wernt there when it started either, jimi hendrix wasnt there when the guitar was invented, does that give him no place to play guitar? your argument is fucking weak, you sound really ignorant posting this shit, and thats why you have tried deleting it dozens of times. The diversity is why the bay had such a good indi game in the first place, people of all backrounds enjoying a music that reflected the bay, its about being proud of being from the bay, not where your family lived 100 years ago, get a fucking clue.

May 9, 2002
pharoah said:
and i will make sure to tell sugarhill records who were at least 5years before def jam that they don't count anymore as the first rap label. and rick rubin bailed out on def jam in 1988 and did only rock and roll until 99 problems. rick rubin did punk rock, came over leeched off hip hop and then went back to punk music and said that rap was dead in '88. rick rubin was one of the first to really exploit and try and suck the blood out of hip-hop so he can get props for that
WRONG

"The Geto Boys (released by Rick Rubin's Def American Recordings, later re-named American Recordings) is actually a compilation, consisting mainly of ten tracks taken from their 1989 album Grip It! On That Other Level as well as two new songs and one song from their debut LP, Making Trouble."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geto_boys

Oct 11, 2002
Run DMC never dropped a album on Def Jam they were on Profile. Rick Rubin founded Def Jam, Russell came later. Sugar Hill Records was the first rap label and there were plenty of rap albums released before Def Jam was even conceived. Afrika Bambataa, Treacherous Three, and other artists dropped albums before Def Jam dropped the T La Rock single (which is the only release Def Jam had before Russell got involved). Also you have to remember that before ANY label released a record, rap was big in the NYC clubs, parks, and playgrounds. Rap music is black music. Not that other races and ethnicities are not welcomed but it is still black music. Rock music WAS started by black people but now it isnt considered black music. Jazz was started by black people but while much of it is still considered black it's not the first thing that comes to mind.

There is nothing wrong with other races making rap music. They have made major contributions to all aspects of the culture. But the fact remains the music and culture was orginally black which makes it a black artform. It was used to report the black experience in America. Whites have been involved since the mid-eighties but rap started in the 70's. It's a black artform that was adopted by other races and ethnicities to tell their own valid stories.

Dec 4, 2006
i blame myspace, wack ass white, blacks, latino, asian kids and established artist for allowing such bullshit be put out there on the streets...

one thing that people haven't figured out is that the rap game is saturated with a lot of crap out there...

I was buying albums when good albums were dropping constantly...these artist would put their time into it and make sure the album was dope with good quality ....

i myself say yes latinos/blacks should take charge to preserve the integrity of the music..

but i can't lie, there's quite a few dope white rappers out there...

5000 wack rappers in the bay ..5 established rappers in the bay..

those 5 established rappers ain't eating right cuz the 5000 wack rappers are taking over their business..

*sighs*

May 5, 2005
Most rappers everywhere are hot garbage period. Most bay rappers are garbage too. I'm sick of getting wack ass CD's passed to me while I stand in Line at Giant Burgers. That is what's killing everything over saturation like already mentioned. Everybody has access to a home studio now so they can pump out wack music on a daily basis. I know i'll offend most of yall on here but as long as the bay keeps putting out shit like Keak Da Sneak and Kafani we'll always be a joke. Them cats are wack as fuck.

May 9, 2002
ITS FREAKS said:
no offence to anyone (& i dont ever check the BART so, dont be surprised if i dont respond to some of your hate) but......

DIVERSITY - THE BAY?

it seems currently, thats an oxymoron. every song coming out of the bay either has DUMB, STUPID, OR HYPHY in it.
Diversity as in ethinicity, not variety of music.

Nov 18, 2004
*bleep* wrong answer! It dosen't really matter about race in the bay as it does social class, but that's not what matters either. Fuck a major record deal is what's on the horizon. A & R's will chop ur album up untill the only thing that makes it yours is the bars/beats (and even then...). Look at the "mainstream" cats bucking the tide w/distribution deals through Koch while maintaining all their own creative input, and keep their masters. Intelligent street level hustlas (Easy-E, Khayree, etc.) set it off, and over time, as attitudes change, those are the type of cats who'll keep it real. Not just really sexy, or expensive, or sold tha fuck out.

Jun 6, 2005
www.guerrillafunk.com
hustlematic1 said:
Run DMC never dropped a album on Def Jam they were on Profile. Rick Rubin founded Def Jam, Russell came later. Sugar Hill Records was the first rap label and there were plenty of rap albums released before Def Jam was even conceived. Afrika Bambataa, Treacherous Three, and other artists dropped albums before Def Jam dropped the T La Rock single (which is the only release Def Jam had before Russell got involved). Also you have to remember that before ANY label released a record, rap was big in the NYC clubs, parks, and playgrounds. Rap music is black music. Not that other races and ethnicities are not welcomed but it is still black music. Rock music WAS started by black people but now it isnt considered black music. Jazz was started by black people but while much of it is still considered black it's not the first thing that comes to mind.

There is nothing wrong with other races making rap music. They have made major contributions to all aspects of the culture. But the fact remains the music and culture was orginally black which makes it a black artform. It was used to report the black experience in America. Whites have been involved since the mid-eighties but rap started in the 70's. It's a black artform that was adopted by other races and ethnicities to tell their own valid stories.
Right. There is absolutley nothing wrong with other races who consider themselves a part of hip hop. It's only wrong when these kids assume that it's "evolved" into something that isn't Black anymore.

Time alone does not constitute evolution.Time plus progressivness does. The fact is that most of these racial groups claim hip hop isn't a black thing anymore,but they braid their hair, give them selves dreads, speak in our slave tounge("eboincs"), and so fourth.Then try to tell us that somehow "dressing down and sluming" with the worst aspects of black culture is the reason why it's "evolved". Your "contribution" is essentially MOCKING us, which in theory makes you a MINISTREL
act, not a hip hop head.

Apr 1, 2004
ive been bumping bay music since the mid 90's and thats when we were at our peak. im not saying good music isnt still being put out, but it gets mixed in with too much bullshit! i love the bay mobb shoot you in the face, steal your money, and fuck your girl music...that was what made us who we were as a whole. everyone was coming out spittin fire with gun talk and all that. from the bay greats like san quinn, cellski, celly cel, the same dudes that had to change their music to sell records. its all about shine and image. i just wish rappers said what they saw and did in the streets. not how hyphy or stupid you can get on a cd. maybe one track about it but a whole cd of this shit makes me want to throw it away. i know mobb style rap isnt for everyone, people dont want to hear about reality anymore just fantasy. but is evryone in the bay living lavish lives? white,black,hispanic,asian, it doesnt matter the race of the rapper its who is buying into the gimmick. can you have a gimmick of selling drugs and guns anymore...nope! everyone is watching the lyrics and every move of these dudes. but people can buy into the drinks, the dance, the clothes, which makes it bigger nationwide. i myself would rather not hear about this shit cause i aint doing it! im aint dumb or hyphy. im mobb til i die! ill bump this shit when i got grandchildren...but ill never think back on this shit! i still buy some new albums of rappers im tryna support like black c and what not but when i look back at bay rap as a whole in 30 years ill remember the hard ass rappers who put it down no matter what! so in my opinion race doesnt matter at all its just who is buying into everything and who has the best gimmick at the time...the snap shit in atlanta for example. it comes and goes so in the end none of this matters its just what sells records not who is on them!

Apr 28, 2003
TKASH said:
Right. There is absolutley nothing wrong with other races who consider themselves a part of hip hop. It's only wrong when these kids assume that it's "evolved" into something that isn't Black anymore.

Time alone does not constitute evolution.Time plus progressivness does. The fact is that most of these racial groups claim hip hop isn't a black thing anymore,but they braid their hair, give them selves dreads, speak in our slave tounge("eboincs"), and so fourth.Then try to tell us that somehow "dressing down and sluming" with the worst aspects of black culture is the reason why it's "evolved". Your "contribution" is essentially MOCKING us, which in theory makes you a MINISTREL
act, not a hip hop head.
oh good point... reminds me of a Cormega interview where he talks about performing at a "hip hop" concert, where the majority of acts were white underground artist like Aesop Rock,etc. (so the majority of the crowd was white), when he got on stage they booed him,and yelled that he wasn't "real" hip hop because of his style of rap, (they somehow thought was commercialized, because it didnt fit with the other rappers performing that day)and he basically confronted the crowd by reminding them who started hip hop.

Oct 11, 2002
All I'm saying is hip hop should never ever be considered everybody's music because it wasnt started by everybody. Everybody wasnt fuckin wit rap in the early days. It just seems to me that black people in America dont really have much to call their own. Most of us dont own homes, die on blocks we dont own nothing on, and kill our own. I'm not preaching I'm just speaking. Black people have to hold on to Hip-Hop (even though it's sometimes negative) as our own. The music is for the world but it is black music. Let's never forget that. Otherwise the black youth 20 years from now wont understand that this is black music. I know when I found out rock music was started by black people I thought it was bullshit. Back then they didnt have the resources we have today. We can never let it get to the point were black artists are frowned upon and other races are celebrated. Remember history is only valid to whoever is writing it.

Hip Hop is like the only genre where people try to cloud the origins of the music. Salsa, Merengue, and the like are never clouded, it's definitely Latin music. Reggae is definitely Carribean, I can give more examples but I think you all get the point. Really the point is people need to stop making wack ass music. Wack music has never clouded my judgement. It actually makes me sit up and take notice when someone is actually dope. Most wack records are tossed out the Cadillac window. Never to be thought of again.

Ive been a Hip Hop head since I was 4 years old and saw people break dancing in the projects. I've lived Hip Hop the majority of my life and watched it grow. I've seen the ups and downs. I dont believe and I probably will never believe Hip Hop is dead. There is just no balance. Where are the new Public Enemys, the new Ice Cubes. While everybody is partying and bullshitting the problems in the hood are being ignored. It's not even been ignored, there are still revolutionaries speaking the real but they are not given that chance to shine. Hip Hop is black music made for the world, the world embraced it and we embrace the world. Heads come in all shapes, styles and colors. Honestly if Hip Hop did die a lot of us would be lost souls.

Let's just make dope music Northern California. (Not just the Bay, NorCal is a lot more than the Bay. Just like California is much more than L.A.) Everything else will take care of itself.