question w/reason 3.0

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 3, 2005
i'm having some trouble recording midi input. let me explain what i'm doing. i've got a sound player program that plays song files, and has an option to output them as midi information (these are not mp3 files, they are a certain type of file that has the tracks seperated so that the midi output will work). anyway, i have the program set to midi playback. i have my m-audio fastrack pro set as the midi playback device, and i've hooked the midi out port to the midi in port on my axiom midi controller. in reason, i have axiom1 input (this would be the keys) assigned to bus a, and axiom2 input (midi pass-thru from the fastrack pro) assigned to bus b. now, when i play the song in the other program, all the lights in reason light up, and i hear the original song from the program playing in reason using whatever instruments i select, whether it be through the combinator, malstrom, whatever. now here's my problem: when i go to record, it won't record any of the midi pass-thru notes. it will, however, record notes that i play on the keys. it seems as if it will play the axiom1 and axiom2 inputs, but is only recording the axiom1 input. does anyone know how to resolve this so that i can record the midi notes coming from the midi pass-thru? any help is appreciated.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
sounds like it should be working. theres a cat on rapmusic.com named ray diggah who will answer this question for you. if not, nobody can. theres a thread somewhere in the producers section of the forums. its right at the top at all times.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
the_n_freak said:
no one has chained midi devices and tried recording onto a computer before?
Its not like some of us have not chained midi devices and recorded before. The problem is some of us may not have used the programs you are using. I don't use reason. I use PT 6.1 and 7. I don't use midi controllers, I use a karma, a xp60, a motif es and control the various modules and drum machines with my xp60.

First off, you don't even tell us what OS you are running.

i've got a sound player program that plays song files, and has an option to output them as midi information (these are not mp3 files, they are a certain type of file that has the tracks seperated so that the midi output will work).
SMF1 is the typical format for keeping the different elements seperate. I assume this is what the file is saved as since SMF1 and SMF0 are standard.

anyway, i have the program set to midi playback. i have my m-audio fastrack pro set as the midi playback device, and i've hooked the midi out port to the midi in port on my axiom midi controller.
ok.

in reason, i have axiom1 input (this would be the keys) assigned to bus a, and axiom2 input (midi pass-thru from the fastrack pro) assigned to bus b. now, when i play the song in the other program, all the lights in reason light up, and i hear the original song from the program playing in reason using whatever instruments i select, whether it be through the combinator, malstrom, whatever. now here's my problem: when i go to record, it won't record any of the midi pass-thru notes. it will, however, record notes that i play on the keys. it seems as if it will play the axiom1 and axiom2 inputs, but is only recording the axiom1 input. does anyone know how to resolve this so that i can record the midi notes coming from the midi pass-thru? any help is appreciated.
Is LOCAL SWITCH TURNED ON OR OFF?

ARE THE OTHER INPUTS SET TO RX (RECIEVE) OR TX (TRANSMIT)?

Oct 3, 2005
heresy:
i'm running windows xp. "local switch" is something i don't recall seeing before, i'll be sure to check for that, and the rx/tx settings

phil:
thanks, i'll check there too

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Your controller or device may not have a local switch (some do and some don't.) Your controller or device should have RX and TX because you can't transmit data without it.

From the looks of thinsg it sounds as if you only have ONE midi cable hooked up, and there is NO MIDI PASS THRU on your device. Is "midi pass thru" something that will find within reason because I don't see it on your hardware.

Here is your device

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro-focus.html

(make sure you click on connectivity)

This device has a midi IN and a midi OUT. There is no midi pass thru. If you had a thru you would have 3 midi ports on the back.

1. MIDI IN from the axiom to MIDI OUT on the fast track pro.

2. MIDI OUT from the axiom to MIDI IN on the fast track pro.

Do you have these connctions made? If you only have one cable connected that could be the very reason why you have problems. Again, I'm not familiar with your hardware or app, but try the suggestions out.

Oct 3, 2005
i see what you're sayin. the pass thru, according to the manual, goes through the usb connection. midi out from fast track, in to the axiom, and then to the computer via the usb cable. i know the pass thru is working because like i said, the notes are playing in reason, just not recording. i don't have time to mess with it tonight, i have to work. my next day off is saturday. i'll post again if i get it working though. thanks again.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
the_n_freak said:
i see what you're sayin. the pass thru, according to the manual, goes through the usb connection. midi out from fast track, in to the axiom, and then to the computer via the usb cable. i know the pass thru is working because like i said, the notes are playing in reason, just not recording. i don't have time to mess with it tonight, i have to work. my next day off is saturday. i'll post again if i get it working though. thanks again.
We aren't talking about pass through. Your axiom has a midi in and out. Why are they not connected to the interface you are using? You are using a midi controller and an interface. You have no other modules/tone generators hooked up so using pass through via USB doesn't make sense. You should have the midi connections made as I suggested and you should be able to record that way.

3. USB from fast track pro to usb on the computer.

Oct 3, 2005
HERESY said:
We aren't talking about pass through. Your axiom has a midi in and out. Why are they not connected to the interface you are using? You are using a midi controller and an interface. You have no other modules/tone generators hooked up so using pass through via USB doesn't make sense. You should have the midi connections made as I suggested and you should be able to record that way.

okay, so let me make sure i'm hearing you right.

i should take the signal from the interface, send it to the axiom, then from the axiom, send it back to the interface, using midi pass thru? yeah that could work. but for that matter, couldn't i just take the midi out port on my interface and hook it right back up to the midi input on the interface and skip the axiom all together? the only reason i'm running it the way i am is because i have reason configured to look for input from the axiom, not the interface. i figured rather than fuckin around with the settings, i'd shoot the midi from the interface to the axiom and then the axiom would send it into reason. i feel as if i'm making this process more difficult than it should be. all try some shit sometime this weekend and i'll post up any successes/failures i encounter.

thanks again.

Oct 3, 2005
heresy, listen,

i appreciate you taking time to read all this, trust that. i have never meant to come off disrespectful, and i never do, that's not my style. i can tell you're an intelligent dude. but it seems like you're getting short tempered with me. i've been reading everything you've said. i think we're on a miscommunication here. let me point out two things that you yourself have said. 1. you don't use reason. 2. you don't use a midi controller. that right there accounts for 66.6% of my setup. this being said, it could very well be that the problem i'm encountering is something that you very well may never have encountered and therefore are not familiar enough with it to really give me a good answer.

at the same time, i don't have a swollen ego that causes me to over represent myself. i am 100% new to this kind of shit. i've never made beats before, this equipment is new to me, and i have no formal training with any of it. all i know is what i experience, and i try to learn from that. when i feel i am unable to figure something out, i post a question. like i've said before, i know there's some very knowledgeable and helpful people here and i appreciate and respect any help they can offer. i know i'm hearing the shit play through in reason, so that indicates to me that the signal is indeed getting through and that the connections must be working. i just can't figure out why it won't record. as far as i can tell, it must be a problem with reason, i must have missed something with the software configuration. reason is new to me and, admittedly, pretty confusing. again, i wish you no disrespect or hard feelings man, i appreciate any help that anyone tries to give. but i don't like being talked down to. i'm an intelligent person, but i'm limited by my experience. i simply wish to draw from the experience of others to help expand upon my own knowledge. that, i believe, is what these type of forums are for.

i appologize for the long post. i've got some time off work now and i'll be able to fuck with this. if i reach some sort of epiphany, i will be sure to post it, it may just help someone else in the future. i'm sure once i figure this out i'll feel like an idiot for not seeing something so obvious sooner, but that's part of learning.

for anyone reading this sideways, just try to remember what it was like when you were first starting out.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
First off did you try the suggestions out?

1. you don't use reason. 2. you don't use a midi controller. that right there accounts for 66.6% of my setup. this being said, it could very well be that the problem i'm encountering is something that you very well may never have encountered and therefore are not familiar enough with it to really give me a good answer.
While this is true, midi connections are basically the same across the board. How the software interfaces with hardware is usually the same. What is different is WHERE the settings are located, HOW to access them and HOW to change them. The only thing I can't specifically tell you is WHERE to look or HOW to change it (because I don't use the app.)

at the same time, i don't have a swollen ego that causes me to over represent myself. i am 100% new to this kind of shit.
No one said you did.

know i'm hearing the shit play through in reason, so that indicates to me that the signal is indeed getting through and that the connections must be working.
Midi has to transmit in BOTH directions. In some devices the THRU is reserved and operational ONLY when other devices are using the IN/OUT. The problem is you DON'T have a "midi thru", I explained this twice, and you came back asking me more questions about midi pass thru. That lead me to believe that you didn't read anything I typed.

What would be best for you is to connect your device to the computer via USB. Connect the midi in of the controller to the midi out of the device. Connect the midi out of the controller to the midi in of the device. Go inside reason and select the device (not the controller.) DON'T use the usb port to transmit midi date thru data. Use the usb port to connect to the computer so it can see the device and act as master when its time to sync and record. This is the SAME way they have it set up on company website, and this is the same way I have my gear setup for pro tools and cubase.

just can't figure out why it won't record.
One way or the other you are going to get this to work. The main thing to remember is to have the proper connections.

again, i wish you no disrespect or hard feelings man, i appreciate any help that anyone tries to give. but i don't like being talked down to. i'm an intelligent person, but i'm limited by my experience. i simply wish to draw from the experience of others to help expand upon my own knowledge. that, i believe, is what these type of forums are for.
Bro, 90% of my posts in this forum are devoted to help. I'm not feeling disrespected or anything like that because I understand your situation. You spent your money on gear, you are new to this and you want your shit to work right. All that is understandable, I was in your shoes before. However, one of the problems we are facing is the use of terminology, how I just explained that you don't have a certain midi connect, yet you keep asking about it. The way you wrote your question had me (and several others who I showed the thread to) thinking your devices were connected as, midi out from axiom to midi in on device, and the device to computer via usb to transmit midi pass thru data. You said reason has a bus A and bus B. Do these busses BOTH have the ability to send and recieve midi data?

First make sure you have UPDATED DRIVERS for BOTH devices. Make sure you have an updated ReMote file (you probably do since it is seeing the axiom)

4. Control Panel -- >Sound and Audio Devices -->Audio--> Midi Playback--Select the fast track pro. Make sure you have a check mark by the use default devices box.

5. Go inside reason and select the fast track pro on bus a AND b. Make the appropriate rewire connections (IF APPLICABLE.)

6. Try to record something. If 1-5 do not work you need to make changes within step 5. Change the device to the axiom (on a and b) and see what happens.

I called a friend who uses Reason in his studio, and I left a message on his machine. When he gets back with me, I'll pass everything on to you, but for now it looks like a connection problem and a problem within reason.

In the meantime hit this site: http://www.grooveboxmusic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170

Don't forget to hit the links provided in that thread.

Jan 6, 2003
916-707
I don't think the reason sounds are midi to begin with. They are samples and patches and refills or whateva. Can't record midi on reason. i might be wrong, but i swore i heard that before.

but than i might be confused on what you are trying to say.

if you saying you just can't record, than it's your control surface. just choose what it is and bam it should work. if not, it must be the copy of reason you have or a glitch on your computer.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
reason works pretty much like any hardware keyboard, midi messages talk to its sound bank when you press the keys triggering the sound. You can't record audio in reason though but there are ways around it. If you have a wav editor you can save shit as wav files and the samplers in reason will play them back so will the redrum and you can make rex files outta them if you got recycle