Question for all the artists (regarding copyrights)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Sup folks!

Quick question, how many of you copyright your artistic names and record labels?

I'm pretty sure those who can afford it do it, but I'm also aware that many artists don't even bother.

It isn't cheap but I've been thinking about it lately after finding some unknown Connecticut "rappers" who are using the same group name that we use.... Perhaps I'm looking too deep into this.... Dunno....

Any feedback is appreciated,
Migg

Dec 3, 2004
www.ap9online.com
fuckdemsquares said:
do it if u think ur gonna blow.
I AGREE. SOME RAPPERS AINT TRIPPIN, BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER BIGGIE SMALLS HAD TO CHANGE HIS NAME TO THE NOTORIOUS BIG AFTER SOME OTHER CAT HAD COPYRIGHTED THE NAME BEFORE. I SAY DONT TAKE CHANCES AND COVER YA ASS, JUST IN CASE. WOULDNT IT SUCK IF A NEW GROUP CAME OUT AND DECIDED TO CALL THEMSELVES THE MOB FIGAZ AND THE NAME WASNT PROTECTED?

May 4, 2005
dj pimp said:
I AGREE. SOME RAPPERS AINT TRIPPIN, BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER BIGGIE SMALLS HAD TO CHANGE HIS NAME TO THE NOTORIOUS BIG AFTER SOME OTHER CAT HAD COPYRIGHTED THE NAME BEFORE. I SAY DONT TAKE CHANCES AND COVER YA ASS, JUST IN CASE. WOULDNT IT SUCK IF A NEW GROUP CAME OUT AND DECIDED TO CALL THEMSELVES THE MOB FIGAZ AND THE NAME WASNT PROTECTED?

Thats real spit right there.... Yo pimp your got a copyright on your name? (evil idea pop's in head) just playin homie

Feb 2, 2005
Im in the process of all that now Incorparating, Trademarkin names u dont wanna start ur company do promotions in magazines an all that an find out u gotta change ur label name or stage name! It does cost but in the long run it is worth it!

Jan 19, 2006
PressPlay Prod. said:
well my company "Chasin' Money Productionz" is a registered trademark,cost alot of money, i copyright all my music and lyrics. my company logo is also a registered trademark, so yea. its well worth the penny

cant you copyright the lyrics and music cheaply by being the first to send it certified mail to yourself?

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
YOUNGMOE said:
miggidy where you been blood?
I had to get away and collect myself for a minute there.
My first born was a stillborn.
I think I'm finally stable enough to pick up where I left off in music.
Besides, I gotta keep in touch with the BART fam.
How you been homie?

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
its like this fam

if you want to make it big and run a legit business like a real buisness in music you got to copywrite your trademark and so fourth because then if you make more then 10k a year you can write it off for taxes in all it may be a few dollers out of the pocket but well worth it just think in the long run

Apr 4, 2005
PressPlay Prod. said:
this is known as the poor mans copyright, and long story short, this method will not hold up in court, if u have a lawyer that is telling you that this method is ok to do so...then u need to be looking for a better lawyer who has more knowledge and undderstanding.

copyrighting ur music and lyrics require 2 diff processing file types

for music (sound recordings) you will need the "SR Forms"

for lyrics however you will need the "PA Forms"

all of which can be downloaded and printed out for free at www.copyright.gov

it is a 30$ fee for the SR Forms, i forget how much it is for the PA forms but it will tell u how much you gotta cash out on the form itself and also where to send it at
good look, homie..........casue my shit aint copyrighted......