Question About Fruityloops/Cubase

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 2, 2002
so i been previously using Fruityloops to sequence and Cool Edit to sample, when making beats. But now im interested in using Cubase instead of Cool Edit, aswell as doing my sequencing in cubase, i think i could have more freedom if i learned to use it proficiently, is that true? Is it wise for me to switch completely to using cubase? or should i use a Fruityloops/Cubase combo?

What areas does Cubase really shine in, because i've heard many good things about it, im just not erally sure what the difference between cubase and other programs like Acid, cool edit is.

Jan 21, 2004
well as far as i know you aint gonna really be sequencing no beats wit cubase unless you have some hardware to record into it with or at least a midi board and some vsts.....do you have any of these????

Jun 2, 2002
i do have a few vsts, been trying to mess around with pro 53 and fm7 a little. I use my keyboard to play tho, cuz i dont have a midi controller or nothing. Would it be worth investing into one? Or should i just instead save up for a motif or Triton? and anyways back to the original question.

Jan 21, 2004
really cant tell you whats worth more to you in the long run....but yeah if you wanna use your computer to make beats then a midi controller/keyboard is a small investment compared to buyin a workstation....and aint nuttin wrong wit mixin n matchin all your programs and hardware....do what you can to get good music....as far as cubase goes ive never really used it so someone else gonna have to tell you if its good or not......

Apr 25, 2002
You can pick up a midi controller pretty cheap so that wouldn't be a big investment for you. If you're going to use Cubase, I'd definately recommend getting one.

As far as getting a Motif or Triton, I'd say if you have a decent computer and some software now, you've already got enough to start with. Buying a workstation isn't really necessary at this point.

As you know, Cool Edit is a multi-track software sampler and not designed for composition. Cubase on the other hand is... It's designed to be a complete music production package with full support for midi, DirectX, VST, etc... The learning curve is pretty low too. You can read more about it at:
http://www.steinberg.net/Category_sb.asp?Category_ID=8&langue_id=7&Family=0

Keep in mind, your CPU and RAM decide the system limitations. The faster the CPU and the more RAM you have, the more VST's you can load and more sounds you can playback.

Apr 25, 2002
Everything is fine except the soundcard. The converters and amps in Soundblasters are garbage. The good news is upgrading is fairly inexpensive. M-Audio, Echo Digital Audio, and MOTU all make good interfaces. M-Audio Delta's and Echo Mia's go pretty cheap on ebay and they'ld eliminate latency issues.

Apr 25, 2002
DaChroniclez said:
see wat if i picked up something like this here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64426&item=7306714206&rd=1

its a sampler, i dont know how good it is, but its got sampling capability right? and its the same price as a midi controller. So if i got this i could use it as a midi controller right plus i could use it as a sampler right?
You could but why would you want to? Using software samplers and harddrives for storage kills everything.

A good audio interface and midi controller is what I'd recommend versus picking up a sampling keyboard (unless you really want one).

Apr 25, 2002
Depends on what you're looking for. They range anywhere from about $40 up to several hundred dollars. I'd think anything with atleast a few octaves, pitch wheel and modulation wheel would be good enough for now. Maybe something along the lines of an M-Audio Keystation 49e or Radium 61. Those arn't too expensive, $99 and $149 I think. Somewhere in there. Might be able to ebay those for less too.

Jun 2, 2002
aighht thanks, i took a look at both of those models you listed and taht first one (Keystation 49e) i could swoop for about 50$ while the readium 61 is like 200$. Would it be worth getting the radium? looked like it had a grip of options, but i dunno if its really necessary.

Apr 25, 2002
You can configure the buttons to do different things and of course that Radium has more keys but necessary? Nah, not really. If you got the 49e and outgrow it later, you can always sell it and upgrade. 49e is probably good enough at this point.