Printing up these mixtapes...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
So everybody is doing these graphics and stuff for these mixtapes, who's printing them up and what's the prices? Can anybody help push me in the best direction if I wanted to buy a press and set them up for my people here in the Northwest? I'm interested in sinking some money into a setup, or finding a great connection that could lace me and my people around me too.

How do you designers deal with this? Do you leave it up to the artist? Lemme know.

Jan 31, 2006
I usually leave it up to the client but i lead them to this place in berkeley called copyworld. They got some flyers that will fit into a cd case and they are double sided. they got a website copyworldinc.com

Mar 17, 2007
Usually let the client do the printing, if they ask, I'll recommend them to a printer, but most the time the client already has a printer in mind. Seting up a press to do that type of printing is gonna be expensive, and unless you have a huge demand for constant print work, you're gonna be losing money. You might as well be throwing money in the trash. Having a real press set up is a lot harder than it sounds, I work for one, and it's something that takes experienced people to do, it's not just printing stuff out on a Canon or Epson printer, it's huge, expensive equipment that requires experienced technicians to maintain. Best bet is using an online printing source.

Jan 2, 2007
I thought about doing the same thing(getting my own printing setup) but after you calculate all your cost for materials it doesn't seem worth the hassle.I would suggest researching print companies in your area,find the cheapest, boost the price up a little bit and just be a middle man for printing services.It's worked for me.

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
We're looking to sink about $10 to $15 grand into a set up and we are able minded people. We have the access to the clientele and it seems like we don't have an alternately reliable source in the Northwest. Our sources we have usually flake out or cancel around the times we need them. It's not like we want to manufacture full album pressing, just some Mixtapes that we could do up in batches of 100 or so at a time.

Jan 24, 2003
Fridge said:
We're looking to sink about $10 to $15 grand into a set up and we are able minded people. We have the access to the clientele and it seems like we don't have an alternately reliable source in the Northwest. Our sources we have usually flake out or cancel around the times we need them. It's not like we want to manufacture full album pressing, just some Mixtapes that we could do up in batches of 100 or so at a time.
The Shiny UV Coated covers your thinking of are printed on a heidelberg press, and they run anywhere from 500k to 10 mill....you need alot of volume for it to make sense....I would suggest doin your research and finding online connects and upping the price and playin the broker position!

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
daGIFTEDone said:
The Shiny UV Coated covers your thinking of are printed on a heidelberg press, and they run anywhere from 500k to 10 mill....you need alot of volume for it to make sense....I would suggest doin your research and finding online connects and upping the price and playin the broker position!
Thanks for the info, bro.

Feb 28, 2004
www.thescrewshop.com
you can do good looking covers w/ a good printer and good stock...i get alot of my short run mixtapes done at a local copy shop and they look great...glossy finish and good paper stock...

you can barely tell the diff between the ones i get done w/ an offset and just a good printer/copier...

Feb 21, 2003
www.myspace.com
Fridge said:
Can anybody help push me in the best direction if I wanted to buy a press and set them up for my people here in the Northwest? I'm interested in sinking some money into a setup, or finding a great connection that could lace me and my people around me too
http://www.phoenixmediaprinting.com
Phoenix Media, Inc.
1235 SE Division Street
Suite 109
Portland Or. 97202

TOLL FREE: 866-977-0330
biz: 503.977.0330
fax: 503.977.0110
[email protected]

Ask for Ron

Dec 31, 2004
www.enigmagraphics.biz
Fridge said:

a professional press cost upwards of 100 grand. www.us.heidelberg.com/