Police Shooting: Was Woman On Drugs?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 28, 2006
LAS VEGAS, Nev. -- Authorities are trying to determine whether a misbehaving woman shot and killed by police Tuesday was on drugs or had some kind of mental condition.

Officers shot the woman outside a fast-food restauarant Tuesday morning, and claim she was wielding a knife and trying to jump into vehicles with strangers, according to Las Vegas police.

Police said the woman held a young boy in her arms and then walked into traffic threatening motorists with a knife. Officers had responded to a Jack In The Box restaurant on Martin Luther King Boulevard just before 8 a.m. They had been summoned to the establishment by a caller who said a woman was throwing chairs at other customers.Officers pulled the child away from the woman and tried using pepper spray, Taser guns and beanbag shotgun rounds, a police spokesperson said. Those efforts produced no visible effect and two officers finally shot her on Martin Luther King Boulevard.

The woman was taken to an area hospital where she was pronounced dead. Her identity is unavailable. The child, estimate to be about 3 years old, is unharmed. He's been placed in the custody of Clark County child welfare authorities.

Authorities suspect the woman might have been suffering from a mental condition. The officers were placed on paid administrative leave pending a departmental review of the shooting. A Clark County coroner's inquest will be scheduled later.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
blah blah blah, if its not a "gun" (aka wallet, medicine bottle, houseshoe) in their hand, its their insanity, or their raging drug-induced mindstate that caused them to get shot.

Aug 28, 2006
i passed by there earlier at like 11:30pm, there were some black fools out side across the street with flowers and candles on the floor, idk if that was for this lady though

Aug 28, 2006
DAMN SHE WOULDNT GIVE UP

http://kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=6646039

VIDEOS^^^

Was deadly force justified in fast-food restaurant OIS?

We're hearing for the first time from a witness who had an up-close look at the woman who caused a scene at a local Jack-in-the-Box restaurant. The female suspect was carrying a knife and was shot by police after non-lethal weapons failed to subdue her. We're digging deeper to find out what justifies deadly force in a situation like this.

The incident happened at Lake Mead and MLK where one witness came frighteningly close to the violence that ensued. The woman with the knife was yelling, acting crazy and trying to get into vehicles stopped on Lake Mead; she also had a young child with her.

"I saw her specifically put the knife in the air. She yelled, 'Get away from me, my baby, my baby!'" said witness Jessica Payne.

Payne says the woman was trying to break into her car when police pulled up and the deadly standoff began.

Segments from a Metro training video show just how dangerous a knife-wielding person can be to officers, especially at close range. According to the video, only when the attacker is 21 feet or further away does the officer have enough time to safely react.

In this latest incident, officers tried at first to use non-lethal force. Low lethal shotgun rounds were fired close to 8 times with no effect all and a TASER was deployed three times before the suspect pulled out the prongs.

Payne, however, is still not convinced that officers needed to resort to deadly force. She says the woman was vastly outnumbered and her weapon was not much of a threat.

"And to me, I don't know what it's like to be a police officer, but it looked like they could have pinned her; they had her up against my car pretty much," said Payne.

As with all officer involved shootings, it will be up to a coroners jury to determine if the use of deadly force was justified.

Another shooting involving police officers turned deadly. Customers at the Jack-in-the Box at Lake Mead and MLK called police after an unidentified woman reportedly started screaming and acting crazy.

Metro says she also had a kitchen knife and was threatening the life of a young child. The altercation spilled out onto the streets. That's where News 3's Jesse Corona says some drivers saw the deadly drama play out.

"First reaction was to duck in the car. After the first pop I thought okay, we have a gun battle going here."

A.J. Franklin was on his way to work Tuesday morning when he says he saw officers running after someone through traffic on MLK. "There was a pop. Then a pop. Then another pop." Franklin says he saw officers fire, but had no idea who they were aiming at until he drove past the body of a woman laying in the street about thirty feet away.

"Blood all over, underneath her. I saw the impact, not the impact but the actual exit wounds on the back of her dress and then blood on her clothing," Franklin said. Metro Police say that was the final scene in a drama that started at about 8 am at the Jack-in-the-Box.

Customers called police after witnessing a woman acting erratic and threatening a young child with a kitchen knife. By the time cops got there, the woman was at the CVS pharmacy across the street.

"Low lethal shotgun rounds were fired close to eight times with no effect all," Metro's Deputy Chief Ted Moody told News 3. "Taser, three times. Preliminary info is that Taser was successfully deployed three times, she pulled out the prongs. Taser had no effect."

Police say they were able to pull the child away after the woman walked into traffic on MLK. But when she approached a parked car, appearing to threaten the driver with the knife, police say they had no choice but to use lethal force.

"She ain't gonna make it." That's the thought that went through Franklin's head when he saw the woman lying in the street. She was transported to a nearby hospital where she later died.

Metro says at least six officers were at the initial scene at the time of the shooting. However, they are not saying how many officers were involved in the shooting. They do say that the woman was actually shot only twice.