Piazza joins A's, who also add Embree

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 20, 2004
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2688662

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Mike Piazza's days as a catcher in the National League appear to be over.

The former Mets, Dodgers, Marlins and Padres backstop agreed to a one-year, $8.5 million deal with the Oakland Athletics to become their designated hitter.

Piazza, who replaces Frank Thomas as the team's DH, decided between an offer from the A's and one from the Texas Rangers. Texas dropped out of the mix earlier Wednesday.

This will be Piazza's first time playing in the American League after spending the first 15 years of his big league career in the NL as a catcher with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Florida Marlins, New York Mets and San Diego Padres.

Piazza, who would be the No. 3 catcher for the A's behind starter Jason Kendall and backup Adam Melhuse, batted .283 with 22 home runs and 68 RBI in 126 games in 2006 for the NL West champion Padres, his lone season in San Diego.

Thomas agreed to an $18.12 million, two-year contract with the Toronto Blue Jays last month. The 38-year-old Big Hurt batted .270 and led the A's with 39 homers and 114 RBI this year.

Oakland also agreed to a two-year contract with left-handed reliever Alan Embree. Financial terms of the deal are not known.

The 36-year-old Embree went 4-3 with a 3.27 ERA in a career-high 73 outings for the NL West champion San Diego Padres in 2006, his 13th major league season. It was the eighth straight season he made at least 60 appearances.

Embree's contract also includes a team option for the 2009 season. He will upgrade an already strong bullpen for the defending AL West champions and could replace Joe Kennedy, who might be in the starting rotation.

With Embree, the A's will have seven players under contract beyond next season.

Apr 25, 2002
He was pretty much their best option, anyone else would have wanted too many years and too much money. There's not a lot out there and they're probably not spending much til they move and start making more money.

Aug 20, 2004
G-Dubb said:
He was pretty much their best option, anyone else would have wanted too many years and too much money. There's not a lot out there and they're probably not spending much til they move and start making more money.
I knew you would come!

So how about Bavasi trading Soriana to the Braves for Ramirez? ALOT of M;s fans are VERY unhappy with this trade, me being one of them. Also, I dont know how I feel about the pick up of Guillen. Last time I heard, he got suspended fromt he Angles for being a complete ass. On top of that, even though he was injured for most of the year last year, he still only hit a goliath .214 last year.

Sep 12, 2002
Balut said:
fuck that. I'm disappointed. He's never played in the American League and his power numbers are down. I think Bonds wouldve fit nicely, but thats the business of it all. Oh well, it looks like another down year for the A's

btw, there's a mystery team bidding for Bonds so its not out of the question that it might be the A's
i heard its cards that want to sign bonds- i wouldnt mind see that.

Jan 4, 2003
Not a bad move....Remember guys he will be able to work full time at DH so his #s will def. be up since he won't be playing catcher

Sep 25, 2005
Gringo Starr said:
I knew you would come!

So how about Bavasi trading Soriana to the Braves for Ramirez? ALOT of M;s fans are VERY unhappy with this trade, me being one of them.
my take is a neutral one as i could care less about either team, but in my opinion, a young lefty with good stuff is alote more valueable than an 8th inning type guy. soriano is not a closer Putzz is so soriano is expendible

Sep 25, 2005
RAS 925 said:
Not a bad move....Remember guys he will be able to work full time at DH so his #s will def. be up since he won't be playing catcher
his numbers should go up because he isnt wearing out his legs catching and also because he is moving out of the Pitcher Friendly PETCO.

i mean seriously this guys nuymbers career wise are legit because he has spend his years playing in Dodger Stadium, Florida, Shea, and PETCO, which are 4 od the most friendly Pitchers Parks in MLB

Aug 20, 2004
LA Dodgers said:
my take is a neutral one as i could care less about either team, but in my opinion, a young lefty with good stuff is alote more valueable than an 8th inning type guy. soriano is not a closer Putzz is so soriano is expendible
he COULD be a closer, but hes one hell of a set up guy. Fast ballin the upper 90's and a k/bb ratio of 3/1 and a sub 3 ERA.

Jan 4, 2003
Gringo Starr said:
Uhhhh...you DO know he is 38, right? And hes no Frank Thomas.
Yes I know he's up there in age.. hence why he is becoming a DH.. And yes he's no Frank Thomas nor gettin paid lyk a Frank Thomas.. I think he will do well

Apr 25, 2002
Gringo Starr said:
I knew you would come!

So how about Bavasi trading Soriana to the Braves for Ramirez? ALOT of M;s fans are VERY unhappy with this trade, me being one of them. Also, I dont know how I feel about the pick up of Guillen. Last time I heard, he got suspended fromt he Angles for being a complete ass. On top of that, even though he was injured for most of the year last year, he still only hit a goliath .214 last year.
That Soriano/Ramirez trade was a bad move to me, they probably could have done better.

Guillen is good when he's healthy, he was carrying the A's for a while a few years ago with a broken finger... And he has a cannon... Him and Ichiro in the same outfield is ridiculous.

I remember watching him at an A's game a few years ago... He got a ball off the wall in RF and there was a runner coming home... Ramon Hernandez was standing in front of the plate, letting the run come across cuz he thought there was no chance they'd throw the runner out... Guillen threw it hella hard, square at Hernandez's chest... He almost didn't catch it, he was hella surprised to get that throw that fast... And he would have been able to tag the runner out had he been paying attention.

He can be an asshole sometimes but if the team can keep him happy and he's healthy he'll probably produce.