Physical CDs vs. Digital Downloads

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Kavie

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
I was kinda listening to something on the news earlier today and they were talking about the drop in CD sales due to digital downloads (legal & illegal). What do you guys think about this? I personally prefer CDs because I'm a collector. But I'm sure some don't really care for the CD and just want to hear the muic. What do you guys think about this?

Aug 5, 2002
CD's all day, even if you download and burn, those CD's start wearing out after a year or two. I got pressed CD's at the crib from the 80's!!!!!!!!

Eunuch

Thotlamic Prophet
Feb 19, 2006
Thotronto
it'll be cheaper for artists to put out their music if they don't press anymore but i guess i am a diehard collector too and want hardcopy with artwork and whatnot but it would be much more affordable for people making the music. people who have no internet connection are fucked if they want music or if they only serve low quality mp3s or whatever on those online stores.

kendo

Sicc OG
Jul 9, 2005
I only grab CD's from certain artists, those that Ive been collecting over the years. If they are newer artists, or people I haven't heard of, then I'll download it first.

Jul 15, 2002
www.dankmobb.com
I like both, but the world seams to be pushing for digital downloading, ie. all the portable mp3 players, shit even cars are coming out equipped to handle your mp3 players. But i gotta admit we sold/sell more cd's off cdbaby then mp3's off itunes. IMO..

Oct 10, 2005
personally, i steal albums from torrent sites and if i like the music, i will see a show or buy a t-shirt which is much more profitable and goes straight to the artist as opposed to a majority going to the record label

Eunuch

Thotlamic Prophet
Feb 19, 2006
Thotronto
actually, if you go to a show, the venue probably gets a decent portion of it but i get what you mean about just buying the cd. alot of these artists are stupid and think royalties is only way they'd get paid but in probably 5 to 10 years cds will be thing of past and its all download. so tapes and cds will be what vinyl is for collectors.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I don't think anything will ever replace Vinyl as far as history goes. CD's will be around for awhile, period, because of sales and the quality of them. I think more and more companies will start to promote online downloading for small charges per song or album, to help prevent pirating and illegal downloading of albums, make it more affordable but CD's have much time left, they aren't going to die out anytime soon. In reference to online downloading, they already are starting to do so, with movies, the movie industry is also starting something similar to this where you can download or stream a movie for a fee, not any old movie or anything, but new movies, that are in theatres and what not. I personally am also a fan of collecting CD's and I support artists and their respective labels. I've never downloading an entire album online illegally, I don't have time for that, I download songs here and there and burn them for the car but that's about it.

Oct 10, 2005
Eunuch said:
actually, if you go to a show, the venue probably gets a decent portion of it but i get what you mean about just buying the cd. alot of these artists are stupid and think royalties is only way they'd get paid but in probably 5 to 10 years cds will be thing of past and its all download. so tapes and cds will be what vinyl is for collectors.
dont say that, i work at a record store.. and were the last one around the bay area

Mar 14, 2006
i own a clean system in my ride. its a tinted, white 98' eddie bauer with leather interior. it has a stock cd/tape deck to fool the thiefs but it has an easy to reach 6-cd changer and 2 fat amps in the back. one is for the highs going to 4, 4-way, 5x7 kenwoods and the other to a 12' inch sub-woofer inside a box with a glass-window. i'm getting a reverb switch next, and it's just all top-notch shit.
i couldn't be happier. i like to pull the bass out of an oldie or some o.g. funk with my system to test it, knowing that i'll pass. of course the hip-hop and the gangster shit comes out as fresh as possible. i only play the best and mp3's don't cut it for me because i demand quality. you can't drown out someone else's system at the stoplight if you are playing from an ipod, you're shit's gotta be cleaner. i can't sacrifice the quality i'm capable of having to play a sissy ass mp3. that's why a physical cd or a tape is a must for me. most all wanna-be rap music sounds the same nowadays with played out boring bass stabs and them wimpy claps in sorry ass peoples stock systems, sounding all distorted as fuck. an ipod would be a down-grade for me.

i understand the convenience of having an ipod but i would rather save my money, buy more real cd's with that, and just change my cd book out every once in a while like i'm supposed to, fuck being lazy.

-this has been a lesson in cruising 101-

PEACE

Mar 9, 2003
I'm pretty sure most labels are using vinyls to prevent most people from ripping music. And since vinyl is so popular at the moment it's the cool thing to do. Which is why a lot of black metal labels never/refuse to say a record is limited to a certain number. But hey it's a good way to make money off people.

May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
yayarea92510408 said:
Eunuch said:
dont say that, i work at a record store.. and were the last one around the bay area
^^^ Same here.