Philanthropy - How would you do good?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 27, 2009
A different thread got me thinking about how someone could do good. I asked a question along the lines of "what good would you do with 100 million". But that shit is too unrealistic. So I've got a different question.

If you had an extra $10,000 that you wanted to use for a good cause, what would you use it on? Let's say you've got a decent income and you've got some money saved up and using $10K for charity wouldn't effect your budget much. How would you use that money to make a positive impact on others?

I'd be hesitant to just give it to a charity. My belief is that any organization with a multi-million dollar annual budget doesn't need my money.

I haven't really been able to come up with any ideas that I really like. Anyone here have any ideas?

Jul 6, 2008
micro loans to poor people in other countrys so they can set up a business. they end up paying you back with no interest, jsut what they borrowed. id do it but im broke as fuck.

also, maybe some kind of educational fund, but school is so fuckin expensive that 10,000 split over 10 students isnt gonna do shit, even one student isnt enough.

Feb 8, 2006
sports programs for surrounding areas in vallejo, richmond, oakland, san francisco

May 27, 2009
Is this something you're ready to do or something you want to do in the future?
It's something I want to do now. Someone mentioned sports programs and I had been thinking of something along those lines.

I saw this documentary called Kicking It about this Homeless World Cup that gets put on every year (or maybe every 4 years like the real World Cup). It's pretty interesting to watch, but in some of the footage they were showing these kids in Africa kicking around home made soccer balls. I was thinking that it probably wouldn't cost too much to just mail out a real soccer ball and a pump to some random villages out in Africa. I know it seems kind of petty with all the health, food and water issues going on, but I still think it would be cool to just do something that the kids would be stoked on.

I still need to do some research on how to go about doing something like that, or to see if there's another group doing something similar. Maybe I could email the homeless world cup people and try to get some advice.

I'm not really decided on it. I'd actually prefer to do something for American people, but I'm not real sure what I'd like to do.

Big ZAC said:
I'd help all my friends and family out with bills.
Yeah, I've helped out my brother and friends, but it's kind of an awkward situation. I don't mind helping them out, but I'm not trying to pay for them to have nicer shit than me. If their money is tight because they got a new car or TV then they just have to deal with it. I have extra money because I don't buy shit.

I'm thinking of putting some money into a college fund for my nephews.

The Duke of Earl said:
Glad to see you're as emo as ever. Never change buddy.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
^^^ I actually had a response from the other day that gave a glimpse of what it is I do. I'll send that response via PM because when it comes to stuff like that, I'm not the type to be like, "look at me I'm doing this for such and such." I'm not saying thats you or anyone here because you're lookin for direction and others are giving sound advice (especially when it comes to the kids.) I'm just sayin I don't want it to come off like I'm bragging about it or anything like that.

Feb 7, 2006
I would donate the money to my mother so she can finish building her school in Liberia for the children devastated by the civil war.

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
Id start an AAU basketball team and take them out of state for an experince they would never 4 get...