Percussion question

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Anyone here know the name of the percussion instrument DJ Quik used in alot of his music. Its a bell sound effect with the pitch going up or down. It was also used in some 70's funk and jazz.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
probably a flexatone kinda like a boing sound? roger and zapp used it alot too? If so thats a flexatone its a real instrument, its a dual forked pitched metal rod with like a rubber ball in the middle secured by elastic or something. i never saw one in real life only pictures, i'd love to get my hands on one though it would definatly come in handy

look it up on google images to see what it looks like. its like i described but theres like a metal plate behind the fork and there is two balls (lol 2 balls)

Mar 22, 2004
YEAH THAT'S WHAT IT IS, YOU GOTTA BE PRETTY TIGHT TO GET IT TO SOUND JUST RIGHT THO, I BOUGHT ONE AND I SUCKED AT IT.

It was only like 10 bucks tho . I ended up breaking it on accident. kinda flimsy shits