Pacers O'Neal to visit Spurs...maybe the right fit

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 13, 2002
Two articles

the first one...
http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/3/054829-5053-094.html

second one

Matt,
If the Spurs sign free agent Jermaine O’Neal this summer, do you think they will be good enough to dominate the likes of the Lakers and Kings?
Thanks from Ron Armstrong
Los Angeles, Calif.

Ron,
If the Spurs landed O’Neal, certainly they would be in great shape.
He’s a 6-foot-11 All-Star who’s just entering the prime of his career and he can average 20 points and 10 rebounds a game.
O’Neal is exactly what the Spurs need in terms of a big man to help take some of the load off Tim Duncan and to be a factor on the floor when Duncan is in foul trouble, getting a breather or if he is injured for a stretch.
There are a few questions about O’Neal, the biggest one being whether he can come through in the clutch.
He also seems still young enough that he lacks the maturity to always put the team first.
Instead he gets too concerned over individual accomplishments.
He needs to outgrow that.
But by adding him, the Spurs replace David Robinson, who retired after the season, and they get younger.
O’Neal is capable of putting up numbers on a consistent basis where as Robinson couldn’t do that the last few years of his career because of his age and injuries.
It would be just a matter of how long it would take for O’Neal and Duncan to understand each other’s role.
With O’Neal the Spurs would be a very good team, but I’m just not sure they would be better than the Lakers or Kings.

got this from msnbc

May 13, 2002
O'NEAL HOMIE...AN FUCK THAT SHIT WE DON'T KNOW WHATS GONNA HAPPEN BUT I HOPE HE DOESN'T LEAVE THE I.N.D. OR BASKETBALL IS OVER FOR US HERE

:mad: :mad:

MB3

Sicc OG
Aug 26, 2002
yea I think he'd never win a title if he stays in Indiana but with the spurs he'd have got sum good title chances.

RevoL

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
considering the spurs are in search for a power forward since the admiral is leaving, it would be a perfect fit...duncan playin the 5 (even though he's a real 4 he still 7 footer) and jerm playin the 4...unless the lakeshow pick up a veteran PF to replace horry, that would be the most solid front court in the league....untill darko develops some nba level game and is still runnin wit the beast

Mar 18, 2003
Not so fast. O'Neal cancels all meetings with the Spurs and Mavricks as he looks to be leaning towards a 7-year $120-million dollar deal with Indiana (full article below).

Pacers close in on deal with O'Neal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The first verbal commitment of the NBA offseason has yet to be made public with actual signings remaining forbidden until July 16, but the Indiana Pacers appear to be on the verge of taking Jermaine O'Neal's name off the list of available free agents.

Another sign? O'Neal's scheduled visits this week with the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks have been canceled.

"Arn says (O'Neal) wants to be here, and we certainly want to get the contract done," Walsh told ESPN.com. "I feel good about (negotiations)."

Walsh emphasized that an agreement has not been finalized but said the Pacers' intention to give O'Neal a seven-year maximum contract worth an estimated $120-plus million was made "clear from July 1" to O'Neal's camp.

Tellem could not be reached on Monday, but league sources indicate that O'Neal and the Spurs mutually canceled Wednesday's scheduled visit, with San Antonio firmly focused on its No. 1 free-agent target: New Jersey's Jason Kidd. O'Neal also called the Mavericks on Monday to inform them he will not be touring Dallas, either.

Jul 2, 2002
yeah he may be staying with indiana most likely, on a side note jason kidd visited san antonio and tony parker is not happy about that at all, he does and will not play the 2 guard, he says he is the point of the spurs

B

Blackjack 1577

Man I thought tha Spurs were gonna sign some good players this offseason. But all they've done so far is extend Duncan's contract, other than that they haven't signed nobody special.

MB3

Sicc OG
Aug 26, 2002
yea i also thougt they'd get Kidd or maybe O'Neil but they only signed Nesterovic who isn't a high caliber player. I mean Nesterovic isn't a real replacement for the spurs after Robinson retired.