Opinion on Jesus Camp? What does it mean to the nation? world?(tangent/informative)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 25, 2003
The movie was extremely hypocritical as it profiled a Christian camp and the way they kids were being brought up, while not even pretending to mention that there are liberal and leftist children who are indoctrinated in a divisive, ridiculous, and partisan way.

You fucking bongtokers will find a conspiracy in everything - Christian camp idolizes Bush? Bush must be MIND PROGRAMMING the Christian camp.

Bullshit. Many evangelicals in America believe Bush is one of them and stands for their values. Will they sing his praises? Maybe. Is a camp of what, 500 kids, proof of a massive effort to MIND MELD American children?

"No", you say, "Bush has twisted Christianity. Bush is not a real Christian."

But that is, of course, according to you all, who are most likely not Christians.

Are there radical, crazy, fundamentalist groups in America? Of course. Are they limited to Christians and Evangelicals? Absolutely not.

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
i think Christianity was twisted from the get..

one thing that people should understand is that Christians were known as crazy people since their beginning......

just like now.

Christianity didnt get twisted....its been twisted.

Aug 20, 2004
STOCKTON said:
No you missed the point, I didn't say they had anything to do with it. If you the whole southern part of the US was pro-choice and catholic, I think Kerry would have won.
What???

Dude, do you know WHY Bush won?Becuase his BROTHER PULLED THE STRINGS.Who hard is that for you to understand?

IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT KIND OF VOTERS, IT HAD TO DO WITH BULLSHIT STRING PULLING IN THE BUSH FAMILY.

I have no clue why you think religion had anything to do with, well, anything!It is irrelevent to everything that is Florida voting debalce related. So just stop, please.

Jul 22, 2006
Too bad it looks like only one person in this thread other than me saw the movie.

This movie didn't convince me of crazy right wing christian extremists indoctrinating their children with their off the wall ideology. We all know Sunday school exists many, if not most, have been there.

Although, this movie did back up my thoughts that supposed "leftist" and &"liberal" types are just as easily duped by propaganda and outrageous storytelling as their opponents on the right.

Fuckin suckers.

What it all boils down to though is that behind all the hype there isn’t a very entertaining or good film here.

Aug 20, 2004
Deadpool said:
Too bad it looks like only one person in this thread other than me saw the movie.

This movie didn't convince me of crazy right wing christian extremists indoctrinating their children with their off the wall ideology. We all know Sunday school exists many, if not most, have been there.

Although, this movie did back up my thoughts that supposed "leftist" and &"liberal" types are just as easily duped by propaganda and outrageous storytelling as their opponents on the right.

Care to elaborate?

Ive enver seen the movie but from what I understand, this isnt just "Sunday school", this is a CAMP. With that being said, what are "liberals" being "duped" into?

Jul 22, 2006
Care to elaborate?

Not really, but I will.

It is really like sunday school for a few weeks in the summer for these kids. They show in the film what their churches(and homes) are like and what they do there. The camp isn’t any different. Except instead of going back home to continue their home schooling and going to church they sleep in a cabin with other kids and get to play in the woods and stuff. Indoc time at camp is the same as indoc time at church.

“Liberals” are being “duped” into falling for the same simple generalizations and hatred that they condemn their opponents for. The same basics of propaganda that the “right” uses to rile its supporters are the same tactics used in these “documentaries” that rile up the “left”. If the “left” was so intellectually superior, which they often claim to be, they wouldn’t be as easily misled in the same way as the mentally inferior right.

i've seen parts of the movie and all i can tell u is that the movie makes america look very hypocritic, which is also how it is being advertised/labeled over here in europe. news and dokumentaries are comparing scenes with those from "islam" schools, which are shown to operate in a manner which is very much the same.
i can't really get into u.s. politics because i ain't in that system but i can tell u that this whole "jesus camp" issue is getting alot of negative attention in europe. just wanted to point that out...

Aug 20, 2004
Deadpool said:
Care to elaborate?

Not really, but I will.

It is really like sunday school for a few weeks in the summer for these kids. They show in the film what their churches(and homes) are like and what they do there. The camp isn’t any different. Except instead of going back home to continue their home schooling and going to church they sleep in a cabin with other kids and get to play in the woods and stuff. Indoc time at camp is the same as indoc time at church.

“Liberals” are being “duped” into falling for the same simple generalizations and hatred that they condemn their opponents for. The same basics of propaganda that the “right” uses to rile its supporters are the same tactics used in these “documentaries” that rile up the “left”. If the “left” was so intellectually superior, which they often claim to be, they wouldn’t be as easily misled in the same way as the mentally inferior right.
But, then again, you are a right wing, are you not? So of course youre gonna defend the movie and how it percieves something you stand up for or think is bullshit.

Even though I havent seen the movie, I have read several reviews on it and there are some pretty weird scenes go as far as how the kids are taught. Now, that being said, this is still a free country by law and parents can teach their kids anyway they like. Would I perosnally send my child to a Jesus Camp? Hell fuckin NO. Do I think there is "brainwashing" involved? To some extent, yes. But for the most part, they teaching, to what the camp believes, is the correct way to live. I just do not agree with it. Left wing or right wing, this has to to with RELIGION.

Dont you think if the movie was meant to "dupe" and portray these people in a bad way, the people in the movie would step forward? Its a documentary, its sole purpose is to pass information on.

So Im still confused why you think it is meant to "dupe left wing liberals".Maybe the problem is you see everything in black and white, or in this case right wing or left wing.

Jul 22, 2006
Gringo Starr said:
But, then again, you are a right wing, are you not?
No. And I don’t let my personal politics stand in front of my critique of this film or the people spurred by it.

Gringo Starr said:
Dont you think if the movie was meant to "dupe" and portray these people in a bad way, the people in the movie would step forward?
People have stepped forward and said they don’t approve of the way they were portrayed in the film. Last I read the woman who runs the “Jesus Camp” is closing it due to the negative portrayal it received in the film.

Gringo Starr said:
Its a documentary, its sole purpose is to pass information on.
Propaganda films historically have disguised themselves as documentaries, news films, teaching tools, etc. Though convincing the “information” provided is not necessarily valid or factual. Most documentaries today do not have the sole purpose of passing on information rather the objective is to present and issue in a very subjective and intentionally misleading light, persuasion rather than information. Since most people rarely if ever double check what they heard in a propaganda piece they assume it is fact. To paraphrase Homer Simpson “TV wouldn’t lie”.

Gringo Starr said:
So Im still confused why you think it is meant to "dupe left wing liberals". Maybe the problem is you see everything in black and white, or in this case right wing or left wing.
Studying propaganda and propaganda film especially, with the most basic of knowledge, you can see the elements at play. Having actually seen this film I’m obviously in a better position to give such an opinion. I feel the film (and the way it has been marketed and discussed in the media & on the internet) plays an important role in stereotyping a segment of the population by playing to people’s most basic of feelings toward children. It appeals to the “left’s” fear & prejudice and demonizes the “enemy”.

I’m not saying the people portrayed in the film aren’t indoctrinating children. I’m not agreeing with their methods or their ideology. Rather, what I am commenting on and find objectionable, is the way they are portrayed is not meant to present fact, but as a way to rally people against them. And even more so what I have contempt for are the people that fall for the propaganda, yet criticize others on the opposite side for falling for it too. I think a mirror needs to be held up to a lot of people with this reaction of righteous indignation when people “get fooled by Bush” or “fall for Fox News’ lies”, yet they fall for the same things themselves.

May 14, 2002
sevenelevenloc said:
i've seen parts of the movie and all i can tell u is that the movie makes america look very hypocritic, which is also how it is being advertised/labeled over here in europe. news and dokumentaries are comparing scenes with those from "islam" schools, which are shown to operate in a manner which is very much the same.
i can't really get into u.s. politics because i ain't in that system but i can tell u that this whole "jesus camp" issue is getting alot of negative attention in europe. just wanted to point that out...
Are you perhaps from Malaga?

Mar 12, 2005
If you guys didn't notice, there have been three negative Media Documentaries on the three major religion. Christians-Jesus Camp, Islam-Fox News Special, Judaism-how the Lie that all Jews are for Zionism, why, so way must continue. I'm not sold, fuck corruption.

Aug 20, 2004
Deadpool said:
No. And I don’t let my personal politics stand in front of my critique of this film or the people spurred by it.

People have stepped forward and said they don’t approve of the way they were portrayed in the film. Last I read the woman who runs the “Jesus Camp” is closing it due to the negative portrayal it received in the film.

Propaganda films historically have disguised themselves as documentaries, news films, teaching tools, etc. Though convincing the “information” provided is not necessarily valid or factual. Most documentaries today do not have the sole purpose of passing on information rather the objective is to present and issue in a very subjective and intentionally misleading light, persuasion rather than information. Since most people rarely if ever double check what they heard in a propaganda piece they assume it is fact. To paraphrase Homer Simpson “TV wouldn’t lie”.

Studying propaganda and propaganda film especially, with the most basic of knowledge, you can see the elements at play. Having actually seen this film I’m obviously in a better position to give such an opinion. I feel the film (and the way it has been marketed and discussed in the media & on the internet) plays an important role in stereotyping a segment of the population by playing to people’s most basic of feelings toward children. It appeals to the “left’s” fear & prejudice and demonizes the “enemy”.

I’m not saying the people portrayed in the film aren’t indoctrinating children. I’m not agreeing with their methods or their ideology. Rather, what I am commenting on and find objectionable, is the way they are portrayed is not meant to present fact, but as a way to rally people against them. And even more so what I have contempt for are the people that fall for the propaganda, yet criticize others on the opposite side for falling for it too. I think a mirror needs to be held up to a lot of people with this reaction of righteous indignation when people “get fooled by Bush” or “fall for Fox News’ lies”, yet they fall for the same things themselves.
Youre not right-wing, even though all you do is poke fun of liberals?You arent fooling anyone Spidey, and youve been called on it numerous times, me being one of them. If you think that for one minute im going to value anything you say on the subject of politics and the intertwining of religion, you are on more than one.

So with that being said, you ARE biased in your views. You have bashed liberals on here openly and now you want to play "the neutral guy"?Sorry dude, im not buying it.

Once again, stop looking at everything ina black and white maner and maybe your opinion will be looked upon as something worth a damn.

Jul 22, 2006
If anything my biases made me have a less harsh reaction to this film. (my bias towards quality film making sure got in the way of me enjoying it though)

Because I believe "liberals" should not go without their fair share of criticism and believe many, of these so called "liberals", are straight up frauds or just plain goofy that makes me right-wing?

Maybe you should reconsider who is truly "on one" and only seeing in black and white.

Aug 20, 2004
Deadpool said:
Because I believe "liberals" should not go without their fair share of criticism and believe many, of these so called "liberals", are straight up frauds or just plain goofy that makes me right-wing?
Making fun of liberals and backing Bush=right wing becuase he is in fact, right-wing.Youve never taken a shot at any right-winging in here, not even once. But ill let YOU tell it, Captain Denial.

Maybe you should reconsider who is truly "on one" and only seeing in black and white.
Says the liberal-bashing, right wing.

It would be one thing if you poked fun at both sides and question a few things the government does, but you seem to think everything fed to you is the truth. Im not saying you should go burna flag, but if youre truly NOT right-wing, speak on it.

If it walks like a duck, brotha.

Jul 22, 2006
That's fine you can ignore my points and attempt to direct the conversation into personal attacks at me, but all it does is show that every time the "left" gets called out in here rather than substantive debate it degenerates into name calling and who's got the better yo mama joke.

When have you read of me backing Bush?

There is more than enough right-wing bashing that goes on in here, my help isn't needed. And you're all quite quick to attempt to label and demonize when your own hypocrisy gets pointed out.

Aug 20, 2004
Deadpool said:
That's fine you can ignore my points and attempt to direct the conversation into personal attacks at me, but all it does is show that every time the "left" gets called out in here rather than substantive debate it degenerates into name calling and who's got the better yo mama joke.
Ignore WHAT points?

When have you read of me backing Bush?
You believe the 9/11 Commission report, right?

There is more than enough right-wing bashing that goes on in here, my help isn't needed. And you're all quite quick to attempt to label and demonize when your own hypocrisy gets pointed out.
Who is "all" and "your own"?I hope youre not including me in anything you say. You have no clue to as to what I believe in or represent. Do you even know me?Have you ever read a post from me besides these ones?For all you know, Im a right wing myself.

Dec 25, 2003
Deadpool said:
This is patently false. You cant take Gringo Starr to be the entire board.